The problem with Nokia is not software or hardware....i don't care what OS they're bringing out. It don't matter if they have the slickest OS, what ultimately matter is support and advertisement. Let the world know what you have and they're horrible at that. When Nokia N900 came out, nobody really know what the hell it is. Now compare that to Android, Google advertise the hell out of their product before it even came out...nobody really know what Droid is, but after seeing ads almost daily on TV, everybody is hyped up for the product. This is why Androids has become popular today, they hyped up the product by advertise the hell out of it on TV. On the other hand, Nokia is gathering around doing a few shows to promote N900? TERRIBLE marketing!!! So i don't see Nokia going anywhere soon.

Originally Posted by gnoel.nivlac View Post
I think Nokia needs to stop playing the chasing game. Instead, create a new, cool, high end phone/gadget that "wow" end users. Hire someone with great imagination from Hollywood to throw some cool idea of futuristic handheld devices (thinking the portable panel used in research center in Avatar that transfers information wirelessly from the workstation and take control from the panel ) to the product design team.
Human being likes attractive/beautiful stuff by nature. But how many of Nokia phones in the market nowaday have good appearance ? There may be more sales of N900 if it is half as thick and have a larger yet ideal screen size.
Stop chasing, Nokia. And start creating.
http://mynokiablog.com/2010/11/25/vi...nd-nokia-n900/

You mean something like this which was cranked out by one dude in under a month using meego.

There is NOTHING else like that ui in the wild right now.
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Re: Trolling

It takes two to tango.

If your opponent throws you a mean serve, don't return it if you don't plan on playing tennis.

If you don't want to see a particular topic gets debated upon and gets some limelight, don't frickin answer it.
Calling someone on their trolling is not trolling. It's moderating.

Originally Posted by lanwellon View Post
Of course not.

I mean Linux on desktop OS.

1% market share for many many years.
Then it would help to be that specific in the first place.

On that note, the desktop is already losing ground. Mobile is overtaking it. Android's success shows that Linux can actually have a better shot than purely proprietary alternatives.

Last edited by Texrat; 2010-12-14 at 07:25.

I mean Linux on desktop OS.

1% market share for many many years.
There are many figures floating around, some even giving Linux a higher share than OSX, but ultimately any conversation about "market share" is misguided. Linux simply doesn't play that game, there's no single corporation behind it and it doesn't need to produce good quarterly results to survive. In other words, it cannot fail :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Have a feast of this;

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/12...witter-widget/

“Android and iOS don’t have **** on this. Not even close”

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
There is NOTHING else like that ui in the wild right now.
Probably for some very good reason. Until that UI can be controlled by thought then it would be a nightmare to navigate and use. It gives me a headache just looking at it.

Android has the most powerful hardware.
I object to this statement. Nokia is better at pushing hardware features noone else have yet gotten to. One of the reasons I am not currently jumping ships, is because of the Android hardware.

The biggest problem for nokia is that a lot of stuff clearly just isn't finished or in a transitional state. Some examples:

-The N8 ships with an old version of Qt (no QML and no OpenGL)
-the UI of Symbian^3 is still very much menu based (like original symbian)
-the N9 is delayed to next year
-N9 will be based on the older maemo base (renamed MeeGo)
-the Nokia Qt SDK on Linux doesn't support Symbian yet
-the Nokia Qt SDK is still Qt 4.6 based ( no QML etc.)
-the Nokia supported PySide Qt binding are still in beta

Getting a new CEO with software experience seems a good thing since these are software development related. Will it be better for Nokia to abandon the software development and switch to google or microsoft software? Difficult to say, also becaus a lot of stuff isn't finished. But since Nokia does make money they can effort to finish the current plans and evaluate afterwards. If it isn't successful then they can still switch strategy.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Have a feast of this ...
Long on hyperbole and speculation and short on facts.

So? Android and iOS fanbois would say the same of maemo/meego and of each other.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
Have a feast of this;

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2010/12...witter-widget/
Would've been better if it sounds like it comes from an objective person. Putting a fanboy as the mouthpiece IMHO lowers the credibility.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Tags
ignore list, naysaying, religious wars, shutupshutup, tag along, troll master