Active Topics

I'd say don't cry over spilled milk, but due to your app all the milk and diapers should be in good order already

The Following User Says Thank You to extendedping For This Useful Post:
Posts: 186 | Thanked: 192 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by devu View Post
This is called user feedback. If Open Source community could stay aware about this it only could improve the quality of the apps.
+1.

For OP:

Publishing something opens the door for receiving feedback. The feedback may be positive or negative. Also a single piece of feedback is typically describing only one individual's opinion (this one even begins with the constructive argumentation magic words "In my opinion").

Try to view the feedback you receive in a positive way. Someone is actually interested enough on your app to comment on it. That is not a given. Even if the general tone of feedback was negative, it has still has something to give: you will learn what someone else thinks.

Whatever you do in your life, you will certainly encounter critique. Everyone does. Learning to manage the emotions it creates in you will be an useful skill. When all else fails, you can always fall back to "it's easier to talk about things than actually do them".

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juise- For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
However you slice it, the net effect is: (potential) developer - 1
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 163 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
I just happened to read this today and thought it was relevant:
The second part is whats relevant (IMHO)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dbrodie For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
@danramos: I'm quitting N900 development for more serious reasons, as I yet said this is only the last drop. That comment, however, simply missed the whole point. I know my app and I know the specs, trust me! I don't want to bother you with the details!!!
@dbrodie: the blogger you linked is a Novell professional developer involved in the Mono project. It's a different situation...

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by torshind View Post
@danramos: I'm quitting N900 development for more serious reasons, as I yet said this is only the last drop. That comment, however, simply missed the whole point. I know my app and I know the specs, trust me! I don't want to bother you with the details!!!
I wouldn't use this as the last straw, is perhaps my more prescient point, because it does appear thin-skinned or fickle. In my view, it would seem far more appropriate to announce leaving on those more serious reasons. You have my best wishes, just the same, and I hope you do well wherever you go.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
I don't have popcorn anymore...

anyone else wants to share popcorn with me?

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
You got 5 stars! What else you need? That was really just good old feedback. You should be happy that someone takes also his own time and writes some feedback to you (pssst..he cares). Maybe a bit rude, but if that puts you off them I recommend something totally different.

Last edited by slender; 2010-12-14 at 20:39.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
People please! That comment was a very nice way of saying what he really meant about that app. I mean come on, no one weigh their little ones before and after they are fed.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
As a developer, I had to hone three skills that allow me to become a hopefully better developer and/or person at the end of the day.

Patience: developers do not see the world in the same way as consumers... the gap sometimes can be amazing.

Comprehension: Learn how to gauge what people are saying and ultimately what they really mean by the net sum of their sentences, not the few words that we dislike. People tend to have verbal diarrhea when it boils down to critiquing an application. They don't have any idea of how much time, sweat, tears, beers, blood, soul went into the application and all of those lines of code. No. They just see that you have a button in a position they just might not like. So what? All things that developers do are basically a work in progress, never finished.

Ability to receive criticism: Just because somebody says one thing, their tone is not always out to hurt, be hurtful, or to misinform you. Simply put, a person that thinks they have a voice might have a valid point or two. But you have to take constructive criticism as well as unsolicited ******** criticism as well. Both might hit you in ways we totally dislike; however you have to look at it as if they are trying to make your product better (ideal) or that they just have an gripe (also ideal). Coding out gripes is what we do.

I understand frustration better than you'd believe. I've been burned out, changed disciplines, changed languages, changed continents (twice), stopped developing, went into art, went back into coding, found a new religion (twice)... and yet I'm still developing.

And I've heard some of the WORSE feedback from users. What that person wrote wasn't bad at all. Unsolicited? Yes. But nowhere near as bad as I've seen.

Good luck with all of your endeavors.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post: