Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
greboide: I am always appreciative of patches to my scripts.

I believe these reboots are a regression in PR 1.3, something to do with intensive disk I/O. I'd file a bug, but honestly, does anyone believe Nokia will offer a fix?

I switched to the latest Power Kernel and I haven't noticed any reboots since. I am going to try downloading the image again and see if it reboots...

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
greboide: I am always appreciative of patches to my scripts.

I believe these reboots are a regression in PR 1.3, something to do with intensive disk I/O. I'd file a bug, but honestly, does anyone believe Nokia will offer a fix?

I switched to the latest Power Kernel and I haven't noticed any reboots since. I am going to try downloading the image again and see if it reboots...

while(!PR1.4){
if(Software = 'Nokia') {
fix = false;
}else {
chance = rand(1,10);
if(chance > 6) fix = true;
}
}

Last edited by Radicalz38; 2010-12-14 at 21:15.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Well... I think it rebooted when I tried to install cadabra. Running "dpkg --configure -a" showed there were new stale files in /var/lib/dpkg/updates. Synaptic cannot be used until this is fixed although cadabra appeared to work.

So I moved the directory updates to updates_stale and made a new updates directory. I also copy back the files in update_stale to updates as the stale files will not copy

I then ran "dpkg --configure -a" again and got the message

set up /usr/lib/libpulsecommon-0.915 so that it is not a common link.
Synaptic works now.

Any ideas why this happens?

EDIT: Actually it is not working. I get an error concerning empty file name when trying to reinstall a file (texlive-latex-recommended-doc). I'm not allowed to proceed unless this is first fixed. I may have to start from scratch again...

Last edited by mscion; 2010-12-15 at 04:49.

Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
I may have to start from scratch again...
If you have enough space on your device, make backups of the Debian image when it's still uncorrupted so that you don't have to start from square one when it happens again. Or backup through USB!

The Following User Says Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Just a general suggestion, I've mapped control + comma to behave as Alt + tab for window cycling.

To do so, just edit the file ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml , search for the line "<keybind key="A-Tab">" and change it to "<keybind key="C-comma">".

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azstunt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 28 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Viterbo (Italy)
hi qole, i have the same problem of mscion, in particular when i try to install vlc or i try to upgrade same installed package the debian shutdown and n900 reboots..I tried to reinstall debian or download again the image but it's all useless...

I have a further question about locales - running 'dpkg-reconfigure locales' was fine for generating the one(s) I need, but the default locale was still inherited from Maemo's settings, which was causing some python scripts to fail with codec errors. I found I could override them using Easy-Debian's /etc/environment (or /.debian/etc/environment):

LC_ALL=en_AU.UTF-8
Can anyone tell me whether this is the 'right' way to accomplish this?

Originally Posted by gm90_blackmamba View Post
hi qole, i have the same problem of mscion, in particular when i try to install vlc or i try to upgrade same installed package the debian shutdown and n900 reboots..I tried to reinstall debian or download again the image but it's all useless...
I tried reloading everything I had before and I am pretty much up to speed now. I did not have a problem with reboots this time. It may be I ran out of space and the upgraded operating system is less forgiving when you are not so careful. The biggest program I added was cadabra which uses about 400mb and upgrades some of the texlive programs. vic in itself is not a huge program so I'm not sure what happened. Perhaps files were already corrupted from a previous download. Gathering from the other threads, there may be some systemic problems using apt-get with PR1.3, but, In my case it was important to monitor free space and to heed rebhana's words to constantly do an apt-get clean!

Last edited by mscion; 2010-12-17 at 18:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Posts: 53 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ india
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Oops! I forgot from key definitions in .xbindkeysrc I could use "Shift+Mod5+Left" to esc.... no problem with media player now.
hai friend iam also same problem,i need your help to solve this problem.please explain what is Mod5 key.

Originally Posted by ammuvi View Post
hai friend iam also same problem,i need your help to solve this problem.please explain what is Mod5 key.
It's the blue arrow key.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze