Active Topics

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Austin, TX
Just got this CLEAR iSpot holiday deal.
Found the way to change MAC address on older OS/Platform. Anyone know if the command works for Maemo 5?

Originally Posted by gnoel.nivlac View Post
Just got this CLEAR iSpot holiday deal.
Found the way to change MAC address on older OS/Platform. Anyone know if the command works for Maemo 5?
I was looking into that deal as well, but was told by CLEAR that it will only work for the "i" devices. $20 penalty for all non "i" people
If you do get it working with your N900 let us know please.

I am pretty sure that it will work if I am able to spoof the MAC on my N900. My order is shipped today. Will keep you posted.
Many people are using it with devices such as, pc, macbook, htc HD2, etc. Read this and this

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
that might work, also there is something in the repository called macchanger you can use...

Code:
root
ifconfig wlan0 down
macchanger -r wlan0 (sets random mac)
ifconfig wlan0 up
reconnect to wifi from device menu
the setting doesn't stick when you reboot but there's lots of ways you could automate it...

Last edited by Creamy Goodness; 2010-12-17 at 05:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to Creamy Goodness For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Creamy Goodness View Post
that might work, also there is something in the repository called macchanger you can use...

Code:
root
ifconfig wlan0 down
macchanger -r wlan0 (sets random mac)
ifconfig wlan0 up
reconnect to wifi from device menu
the setting doesn't stick when you reboot but there's lots of ways you could automate it...
Thanks. The macchanger works. Now, how do I automate the process on N900?
I have automated processes on Windows using .bat/.cmd before but don't know how it work in Maemo5.

Posts: 182 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Seatle, WA
Thanks. The macchanger works. Now, how do I automate the process on N900?
I have automated processes on Windows using .bat/.cmd before but don't know how it work in Maemo5.
put this in xyz.sh file and put it in /opt/somedir. you will need root for this. make this as executable.

if you want to automate at boot up read wiki, how to auto start script or something like that i believe.

The Following User Says Thank You to mehulrajput For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 802 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney

The Following User Says Thank You to Blaizzen For This Useful Post:
I am pretty sure that it will work if I am able to spoof the MAC on my N900. My order is shipped today. Will keep you posted.
Many people are using it with devices such as, pc, macbook, htc HD2, etc. Read this and this
Yes thanks, it looks like it can be used with other devices but this is scary..Hope they fix that soon.
http://seclists.org/fulldisclosure/2010/Dec/213

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
So I was going to get the Clear SpotŪ 4G or Clear SpotŪ 4G+ the problem is now I got to walk around with my N900 and the hot spots, not cool for when I go to the club. Am i Stupid? The only advantage of this is when the next "official" Meego handset come out I can use it on the hotspot also(I hope).

Posts: 81 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on May 2010 @ NewYork
Ok i'm a sucker, I just got off the phone with clear and the girl who was their sales rep totally got me to sign up she was so peachy and happy. All I did was call to find out how long is their trial period...yea...So now I'm on the boat with you guys -=)