Active Topics

Hi everyone,
something I noticed on my N900 is when im on a call, and I take the phone away from my ear, it needs a second maybe more to turn the screen on. That bothers me, I want the screen to turn on immediately when its far from my ear, if I want to dial a number or end the call during the call. Has anyone any ideas or advice how to make it quicker? Thanks

It is a feature, or a kludge. There used to be many phone calls which was rejected accidentally when the delay was shorter and a user unintentionally touched the reject or close call button.

so theres no way to make it faster?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
I wish developers, especially in coorporate environments, would realize the value of making everything possible a tweekable setting instead of hardcoded.

Actually, less the developers and more the actual bureaucratic decision makers slightky above them... who actually should be replaced by the developers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ netherlands
So there is no way to adjust anything for the proximity sensor? My phone need a very bright light to open the proximity sensor. Normal light keeps the proximity sensor closed, which is very annoying when receiving and making phone calls. Or would this be a hardware problem?

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Do you have a screen protector which covers the proximity sensor? Otherwise I would suspect a hardware problem. Mine works in the dark (just tested using shortcutd to perform an action on proximity sensor trigger rather than by making a phone call).

I have no screen protector. I checked the proximity sensor with the program HealthCheck. The reason why I thought the sensor wasn't broken is that it does react with bright light. It just needs unreasonable bright light to react. So there is no possibility to change the sensitivity?

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
That's odd - I was pretty sure proximity sensors don't use human-visible light to detect distance. I could be wrong though... *Shrug* As I understand it

Anyway, no, there isn't any way to tweak it that I know of. Someone may be able to hack it, but as far as I know, it's not currently doable.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Adelaide, Australia
I found this to be the case after the PR 1.2 update was installed. Then after installing phone speaker switcher I noticed the problem went away and things sped up quite a bit. Perhaps you should try it.

There was some misunderstanding on my side.. I thought the proximity sensor looked at light, but it shouldn't. It's possible tho that the sensor gets triggered by bright light, but that does not have any logical purpose..
Conclusion: the sensor is most likely broken, and my phone will be picked up for repair