Active Topics

Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
JFK summed it up quite nicely:

"We choose to go to the moon. We choose to go to the moon in this decade and do the other things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win, and the others, too. "

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ahagman View Post
Vilken sort?
By the by... what the hell? Viking snot?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
I agree with the OP. Per wikipedia "A need is something that is necessary for organisms to live a healthy life. Needs are distinguished from wants because a deficiency would cause a clear negative outcome, such as dysfunction or death."

So, we certainly don't need Android on the N900. Hell, I don't think I even need the N900. ".... a deficiency would cause a clear negative outcome, such as dysfunction or death...". I take it back, I need the N900.

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following User Says Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Let me try some positive spins on this premise:

- by not having nitdroid, we can focus all our resources and attention to the things that matter: Meego and maemo.
- having nitdroid may be a legal timebomb to our community?
- it can serve as marketing for the android camp, poaching our users to crossover to them.

Hmmmmmm.... That's all I could come up with for now.
Yet I still think we're much better off having nitdroid than not.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,187 | Thanked: 816 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Australia
Nitdroid is excellent!
I have started developing for Droid this week. Nothing special - Just learning.
Rather than use a slow clunky emulator, I can use my N900 - The greatest phone/computer made!

Android on N900 is one of the best things (well, probably top 10).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kingoddball For This Useful Post:
Ok... Trying to add something objective to this thread.

I have both an N900 and a Galaxy S and I carry both with me. I use the N900 as my work phone (among many other things...).

One of my colleagues has the exact same combination of phones and we had a chat the other day about Android on the N900 and we agreed that even if one day they manage to have it fully functional, neither of us would replace Maemo with it.
Want Android? Get an Android phone. It is good, as has been mentioned for the huge amount of apps, snappy UI, etc.
After spending now many months living with both, there are things in Maemo I cannot live without - namely the Contact integration and the way it handles social networking and all the protocols you can think of.
I love the HW keyboard. Basically, the N900 is my social hub and allows me to always be connected easily.

'If' Meego ever comes to the N900 and supports the same features... I might consider it.

As to the qualities of Droid... Errrrrr... I don't want to step into that trap here ...plenty of other threads around for that!

...only my 0.02c and I hope they are not offensive for anyone.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
what are u talking about here. We need as many os as possible. I want an os independet phone. And you standing in the way. Please move!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 194 | Thanked: 1,019 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Moscow, Russia
"I don't need == nobody need" -- it resembles to me Apple/Microsoft policies.

Good luck!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to e-yes For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
We need alternative OS'es on the N900 because frankly, getting applications from other systems working on Maemo is often non-trivial.

And occasionally, you might need an application from Android, occasionally you need one from MeeGo, one from Ubuntu or Debian or god forbid, from SHR..

N900's a flexible machine, let's enjoy it being one.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Ok, well I guess since we don't need it, we might as well shut down the whole Alternatives forum. It's full of stuff that's not Maemo.

Meanwhile, back in reality. Nitdroid will be very useful for me. I have to take an Android class next semester. It'll be nice to have an actual device to run it on, rather than an emulator.

If you don't need it, don't download it. Don't read the threads. Don't donate or contribute to the project.

Someone close this pointless thread. The alternatives forum is usually quiet and mostly troll-free.

Get back under your bridge, OP.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post:

Tags
awesome!, be nice to him, blah blah blah, gtfo already, maemo, useless junk, what?