Active Topics

Poll: How long will Nokia N900 last?
Poll Options
How long will Nokia N900 last?

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
I'm wondering how long the N900 will remain relevant?
Until a MeeGo successor without DRM, but with resistive touchscreen is released!

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
Until a MeeGo successor without DRM, but with resistive touchscreen is released!
So, the question is, how long for that to happen?

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
I'm voting 6 months / end of 2011.

Why? Nokia killed it. Released it, then shortly after, pulled support in favor of MeeGo. Sure there were still some folks working on it, but for what they were, PR1.2 and PR1.3 shouldn't have taken so long. Nokia is sharing proprietary information with commercial developers that is enough to convince them to stop developing for Maemo (and even MeeGo). MeeGo likely won't get ported in a day-to-day usable fashion.

Community support will continue for quite some time, with minimal community support after MeeGo hardware is released (2nd half of 2011?). Although, potentially, MeeGo has (IMHO) a good chance at failing (or failing to become mainstream, which amounts to about the same thing). If that happened, community support would be around for a longer time.

Doesn't mean it won't be useful for the next several years, provided care is taken with the usb port, the older it gets the more likely it is to come off. I'll still likely be using for at least the next year (only cause I'm cheap). As long as it continues to do what I need it to, it won't get replaced very quickly.

The Following User Says Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
In my experience, the chubby ones get less attractive when you start to sober up.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
I just bought mine after weeks of research, specially about the cons. Let's see what happens.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dubai
already dead for me after almost a year's use. Here the prices dropped 400$ since when i bought in jan. Unless meego comes on it i will put it to sleep soon.

Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
So, the question is, how long for that to happen?
Yes, but who will know?

In my opionion even Nokia doesn't know. (because I guess it won't be again a Nokia Device with such specs - I would say they will try to target in the future more the mass market without technical knowledge)

A proper geek? Until it falls apart

The Following User Says Thank You to mahousaru For This Useful Post:
The 'It was toast 6 months ago when the iPhone 4 came out' option is missing

The Following User Says Thank You to punto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
It will remain perfectly viable until the software on it becomes obsolete. When the browser(s) cannot render the latest pages, plugins such as flash cannot be worked around or everyone converts their music to MP5 which no-one writes a decoder for, then it becomes less than useful.
Until that day comes, it does everything I need it to do and I will continue to use it and respect it.

There will have to be a LOT of research done for it's replacement, that's for sure.