Notices

Originally Posted by direx View Post
Which menu-patch are you talking about? Please note that if you are experiencing any problems with extras-devel software, it's probably not the fault of QCPUFreq.
That's true. I tried another QT app (I think), Fast App Manager, and found the same behavior so I guess that's the way it is.
The hildon-status-menu patch I mentioned is this one:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66586

Originally Posted by direx
I am still working on sony123's suggestion. After thinking about this a bit I came to the conclusion that a "maximum frequency" setting in the settings widget could be a bit confusing. It's kind of hard to explain the difference between maximum allowed frequency for QCPUFreq, maximum frequency for the CPU and current CPU frequency to new users. Therefore I'd rather display a warning before applying new frequencies above 600 MHz (or 800?). What do you people think about this?
To me, the warning message would work since in normal case users don't adjust cpu frequency, frequently.

However, I would prefer an option in setting because the UI flow is cleaner. I would suggest calling it "Frequency Limiter" to highlight the purpose of such option. Then you can do either of the following to display the limiter status:

1) Full info on main UI:
Minimum CPU speed: 500MHz
Maximum CPU speed: 600MHz
Frequency limiter: ON, 700MHz max

If user accidentally slide past the limiter setting, display a notification and ignore the change.

2) On/Off info on main UI:
Minimum CPU speed: 500MHz
Maximum CPU speed: 600MHz (Limiter: ON)

and make slider scales to the limiter setting so there's no way to slide past the limiting frequency.

The Following User Says Thank You to sony123 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by leojab View Post
Can you have qcpuferq give the option to set preset or saved frequencies..
I just implemented voltage profile loading in QCPUFreq 0.4.2 (in extras-devel). Please test and report back.

Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
However, I would prefer an option in setting because the UI flow is cleaner. I would suggest calling it "Frequency Limiter" to highlight the purpose of such option.
I am still thinking about that. I still believe that it clutters the UI. Right now I am considering a setting: "Confirm frequency before applying" - if this option is set QCPUFreq will always show a dialog for confirming the frequency before actually applying it.
The benefits of this approach are:
  • the main UI does not need to change at all
  • only one simple yes/no setting (probably easier to understand)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to direx For This Useful Post:
I just implemented voltage profile loading in QCPUFreq 0.4.2 (in extras-devel). Please test and report back.
It works great, thanks!

Originally Posted by direx
I am still thinking about that. I still believe that it clutters the UI. Right now I am considering a setting: "Confirm frequency before applying" - if this option is set QCPUFreq will always show a dialog for confirming the frequency before actually applying it.
The benefits of this approach are:
  • the main UI does not need to change at all
  • only one simple yes/no setting (probably easier to understand)
Just do whatever you feel more comfortable with. For me, it's easier to speak than to code!

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
excellent app! works great with the load profiles!

load profiles is when i OC using xterm and save my profile ? if thats so i think if QCPUFreq can change min. value besdie max. it could replace that option, or am i missing something ?

Thanks for implementing profiles loading.

One good extra feature would be if it would show on the main screen what profile is currently loaded. I know it can be difficult to "know" just by running "kernel-config show" because you should compare to the preset files, but maybe just remember what preset was loaded from QCPUFreq last time.

I was going to ask also support at least two custom settings, but of course I can edit the default preset-files to fit my own needs.
I basically just want two profiles; for normal power use and for maximum battery saving use. For latter I can use ULV or XVL and not overclock, but for former I want to overclock so I cannot have lower voltages than VL-profile.

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
I personally do not see the point in changing the minimum frequency. QCPUFreq's intention is to save battery power and you won't save any battery power if your CPU only scales down to 500MHz instead of 250MHz.
May I ask you if your intentions haven't changed since then? I wish I could chance my settings to 500-600 for instance, and it would be "faster" with a GUI... and there isn't even the necessity to put a second scrollbar, just another slider in the same scrollbar and then you could add three things with just one thing:
1)Would add the ability to change the lowest frequencies to the ones that don't care about battery, but to how "snappy" their n900 are;
2)Would prevent, with two sliders in the same scrollbar, that you could make the lower frequency be higher than the higher frequency (in fact it would make the lower frequency be forever lower than);
3)Would not change the UI too much, or add too much complexity. Two sliders in the same scrollbar. Minimum and maximum frequencies, and one will never go higher than the other.

I wish I could have that |:), something like that I can have only with an "underground" fork of CPUfreqUI |:/

Last edited by Temporal; 2011-01-17 at 05:42.

The Following User Says Thank You to Temporal For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Temporal View Post
3)Would not change the UI too much, or add too much complexity. Two sliders in the same scrollbar. Minimum and maximum frequencies, and one will never go higher than the other.
That's the thing - there is no such widget which combines two QSliders on one single QScrollbar.

For a snappy N900 experience you could create a custom preset with kernel-config (with min/max at 550/700) and load it with QCPUFreq.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to direx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 323 | Thanked: 189 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Brazil
OOOw, this is a bummer. I don't have Qt programing experience yet, but I can say that when I had to do a different widget in delphi, it was painful, so I can see why you won't even think of trying (and I don't condemn you for that).

Anyway, thank you |:)

Best way to use at maximum frequency with maximum battery time is to drag the bar to 1150mhz and turn off your phone.

The Following User Says Thank You to Haider For This Useful Post: