Notices

Posts: 40 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Massachusetts, USA
gnuite,

Thanks for this killer app. Maemo Mapper makes the N800 a worthwhile purchase. Your help file shows a level of devotion that goes beyound writing code.

Using 2.0.1, when a route is loaded and I zoom below level 4 seemingly random route lines are redrawn with each zoom from 3 to 0 and persisting back to 4. These lines appear independant of the zoom area with relation to the actaul route.

Thanks again, and great work.

Gnuite,
The bug I reported in the private betas is still appearing in version 2.0.1. This bug appears when you have downloaded a route and when you zoom in close to the route (level 3 --> 0). Straight green lines will appear in the vicinity of the route.

awesome work! thanks for it

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying. By "moving" in this case, do you mean panning (as opposed to your GPS moving)? No amount of extra memory utilization is going to give you unlimited ability to arbitrarily pan as much as you want. The added delay is due to accessing the database, which leads to your second question....
with moving i mean panning the screen. the already mentoined idea with the 9 map-tiles (8 extra ones) would allow to pan at least one complete screen size. so the black area wouldn't appear that often. but i think this won't work properly. you would need 8 times more memory (which shouldn't be the problem) but you would need to read 8 maps more from the database which is the bottleneck. i think it would be dawm slow, right?

i think i found a few more bugs or curious behaviors:

if you pan with the d-pad (or the stylus) and wait for the hourglass, but then you dont wait until new position has been drawn, instead you pan again. i would expect the old drawing would be canceled and the new position would be drawn. but the old position is drawn and the map "jumps" back to its old location. this leads to unexpected behavoir and i think it is caused by the new thread system.

another thing:
in the default settings your map is in its original size. if you zoom into it the same map will be drawn but just larger. no download of a new zoom version of the map, its just drawn larger.
so, e.g. you are on zoom step 0 and can see the map but there are no larger zoom levels of the map in the database. zoom up... and MM won't download the necessary maps when its a zoom level where a map is just drawed larger.

I'm experiencing the same hourglass problem as loki, and I found two other bugs as well: When you zoom all the way out to level 20 the map will be smaller than the screen, so if you go to manage maps to say, download level 16-20 for the whole world, the coordinates that are there will be invalid since it takes coordinates from the edge of the screen (in the middle of the black area) rather than the edge of the world. And also if you try to download a very large amount of maps in one go (try downloading enough so the estimate will be 600mb+) the program will crash.

I'm still having problems with the Holux GPSlim 240 which I hadn't had in the 1.x series. I removed all files & settings of v1.x, starting with a clean 2.0.1 install. I so far noticed that, while the app finds the gps without a problem, it appear (and this could be true only if I'm standing still or walking) that it stops reading incoming data from the gps after 10 to 20 seconds. Has anyone seen this?

Last edited by mplawner; 2007-11-03 at 17:15. Reason: N800 autocompletion typo!

Originally Posted by gnuite View Post
Are you installing with the .install file that is linked at the top of this post?
i've a similar problem :

libgdbm3 is missing...

i haven't flash since a long time... and the previous version is working good....

R.

ps: for installation i've first tryied with repositories, then directly from the link from garage... same problem...

Originally Posted by coldstream View Post
Gnuite,
The bug I reported in the private betas is still appearing in version 2.0.1. This bug appears when you have downloaded a route and when you zoom in close to the route (level 3 --> 0). Straight green lines will appear in the vicinity of the route.
What part of the world are you browsing when you see the bogus route lines?

Originally Posted by rjungmann View Post
i've a similar problem :

libgdbm3 is missing...
I think you need to add the "default" maemo repository (URL "http://repository.maemo.org/", not extras). I don't know why it isn't already set up on the default firmware. Here are the details:

Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/
Distribution: bora (or "gregale" for 770 users)
Components: free non-free

Alternatively, you can just install GDBM manually via this link into the repository:

libgdbm3 for gregale (770)
libgdbm3 for bora (N800)

I've uploaded libgdbm3 to the gregale and bora extras repositories, so as soon as they're updated, you won't need this extra step - the .install file should grab the libgdbm3 dependency automatically.

P.S. I really hate Maemo's repository situation.

Quick question for everyone... I've been looking into expanding the zoom levels so you can zoom in closer. I can do it pretty easily, but I have to change the way zoom levels are named. I have to add 4 to all of the zoom levels, so that you can zoom from level 0 to level 20. This will invalidate all your current repositories (since the zoom levels won't match up anymore). You'll have to re-download your maps again, in other words. Is anyone opposed to this?

I should have done this before I released v2.0 (since everyone had to re-download their repositories anyway), but maybe it's soon enough thereafter to impose this small request on you early-adopters?
You are far too polite! Speaking only for myself, I have no issue with any changes you would have to make in order to facilitate that.

Thank you.

Thanks, bun. I don't want to be a jerk, but I'll use your post as an opportunity to remind people that there is a Help file included with Maemo Mapper. And I actually do take time to keep it up-to-date - all the new v2.x features are documented there. If you're not sure how to do something, try looking in the Help file first, by using the "Help" menu item in the main menu.
It's good of you to insist on this, because it's so exceptional in free software in general that it's not necessarily the first place I'd look :-)

That said, on my French version of OS2006 (770) the Help file doesn't show up : the menu item launches the Help viewer, which complains the topic can't be found or something, then displays a list of all available help topics, without anything like "maemo mapper" inside. Maybe a localization issue ? The "About..." dialog doesn't show up, either.

Another thing : I installed 2.0 over a previous 1.x version, but did not have time to try it out, then updated to 2.0.1 and launched that (both installs went without a glitch, which is saying something about your abilities, man :-). On that first launch I had a message saying that my old maps would be converted to the new format, but I don't think anything happened (no lengthy processing etc.). Is this to be expected? I was under the impression that all maps would have to be re-downloaded anyway...

I haven't hooked up the GPS to really try it out yet, but at least the new version launches quickly enough on good old 770 and shows plenty of promise & new stuff to play with. Kudos and thanks to you !