Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Question: Is the normal clock applet in the status bar open source?
Actually, I don't know whether it's open source or not.
But as I already started with this version in Python I prefer to extend my own version.
One of the benefits of Python as an interpreted language probably is that development and testing on the N900 itself is really straight forward.

Also add normal 12 and 24 hour time displays. This would allow us users to switch casually to 12/24 hour and binary displays when desired without either A, editing the /etc/hildon-desktop/status-menu.plugins file, or B uninstalling and reinstalling the applet.
Alright, I already have a more general version in development.
I'll open another thread for discussing this version.

You could probably release the thing as "Advanced Clock Applet" or something (in the pattern of Advanced Power and Advanced Interface Switcher, but your app, your name, obviously).
That's indeed a good idea.
I'll call it "Advanced Clock Plugin".

Possibly release both the simple Binary Clock, and the more feature-ladden version, IF you like the aesthetic of keeping them separate, or want the name of the more feature-ladden version to be more representative of the applet, without sacrificing the Binary Clock name. *Shrug*
Well, I'll focus my work on a single version for now.
This of course will be the advanced clock plugin.
I don't think it's worth to rip it apart and package things separately.

Also, quick second request: Recently MohammadAG came out with a mod for Hildon-Home and Hildon-Desktop that allowed you to open the status bar's menu from any application in portrait mode (by default, pressing on the status bar icons area does nothing in portrait mode). This allows some much greater versatility in the form of, say, turning flashlight on/off and adjusting brightness from Simple Brightness Applet when in portrait mode. However, while the status menu works wonderfully in portrait mode, most (scratch that - all that I use) applets are not themselves coded to work in both portrait and landscape. So, while your Binary Clock settings button appears in the status menu when it's brought up in portrait mode, pressing on it forces the entire screen into landscape, because that's the only mode the pop-up menu itself has.
I'll add this to my to-do list.
Though, I don't know whether I find the time to implement this.

Now, I've looked at the code and I am not well-versed in python enough to fully get what's going on, ...
Well, as you saw the code I think you noticed this project is in a very early stage.
In order to start the Advanced Clock Plugin I did a major refactoring of the code etc.
As a result the Advanced Clock Plugin is now dynamically extendable with custom clock styles.

Also not to forget: thanks a lot for the really helpful input Mentalist Traceur.

Edit: you can find the Advanced Clock Plugin thread under the following URL:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=903590

Last edited by Wonko; 2010-12-24 at 19:51.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wonko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Actually, I don't know whether it's open source or not.
But as I already started with this version in Python I prefer to extend my own version.
One of the benefits of Python as an interpreted language probably is that development and testing on the N900 itself is really straight forward.
I like Python for the same reason. When I learn it, I won't have to bother setting up scratchbox to do the actual basic stuff. Will probably have to figure it out when sending stuff into the autobuilder, but it's a long way between me learning python and me being good enough to code a useful program.

Alright, I already have a more general version in development.
I'll open another thread for discussing this version.
Wonderful. Makes me happy to see you already had the idea in mind, so my suggestion didn't make you take up too much of your time.

Well, I'll focus my work on a single version for now.
This of course will be the advanced clock plugin.
I don't think it's worth to rip it apart and package things separately.
Yeah, development wise that's probably a good idea. In the meantime, I'd push your current version (of Advanced Clock Plugin) into Extras-Testing, actually. Near as I can tell it's perfectly fine, doesn't seem to mess up anything in status-menu.plugins, and runs good in my opinion. Hopefully there's also more testers down there who don't run so many devel things that they can get more accurate test results for, say, battery consumption.

I'll add this to my to-do list.
Though, I don't know whether I find the time to implement this.
Well, it's something I've been intending to make happen, and if anything, it's one of the first things on my todo list after I learn enough python to make it happen... So if I can become useful quickly enough, I will be happy to send you a patch.

Well, as you saw the code I think you noticed this project is in a very early stage.
I saw the code, doesn't mean I understood it enough to know if it's good/bad, elegant/inefficient, simple/complex, etc.

In order to start the Advanced Clock Plugin I did a major refactoring of the code etc.
As a result the Advanced Clock Plugin is now dynamically extendable with custom clock styles.
A wonderful idea, which has added yet another thing to inspire me to learn Python. And as you may have noticed from the thread on Advanced Clock Plugin (like the name choice btw ) I already have an idea for what this can become in the long term if this gets really popular, and a custom Clock Style for including both the time and extra system info (Which before couldn't really be conveniently fitted into the status bar because the icon size you could use was limited, where-as your python code seems to indicate the clock slot can be dynamically resized easily).

Anyway, I'm glad you liked my idea.

Last edited by Mentalist Traceur; 2010-12-25 at 04:46. Reason: Forgot a smily.

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dudley, UK
Hey, I can understand binary, but it takes a while, so can anyone here actually decipher the time as quickly as they can by looking at a digital clock widget or something?

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by xboxsky View Post
Hey, I can understand binary, but it takes a while, so can anyone here actually decipher the time as quickly as they can by looking at a digital clock widget or something?
Me and perhaps Mr. Spock. But I admit I have problems to read Gray-Codes! Did you?

Posts: 21 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dudley, UK
Yeah, but as I said before, it takes me a while to decipher the time from the binary clock anyway, as I can't say I use binary all that often lol