Notices

Posts: 724 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by tusharmax View Post
Well apparently as seen in the snapshots, under "options" > "Display mode " that tab seems to be missing in real time ..or is it only with me ?
That option used to allow you to select between day and night display modes. But I removed it some time ago sorry

Nice app! Congratulations!
I have some questions.. What is the reason to add fixed height of geoid in GGA string? And whether it makes sense to transfer GLL, VTG and ZDA strings? I tested a similar program for several weeks with some client applications (SAS Planet, OziExplorer, gpsVP, Navitel ets.) and decided not to use that elements. On my N900 the attribute of MagneticVariation always comes without validity confirmation. Is it a bug of pr.1.2?

The Following User Says Thank You to Sergey Fedchenko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
what a beautiful app on maemo.I am proud to have this on my device even i dont fully understand what are all the features it has in its arsenal.thank you. you have great aesthetic senses.

The Following User Says Thank You to udaychaitanya16 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 62 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ New Hampshire, US
Originally Posted by Sergey Fedchenko View Post
Nice app! Congratulations!
I have some questions.. What is the reason to add fixed height of geoid in GGA string? And whether it makes sense to transfer GLL, VTG and ZDA strings? I tested a similar program for several weeks with some client applications (SAS Planet, OziExplorer, gpsVP, Navitel ets.) and decided not to use that elements. On my N900 the attribute of MagneticVariation always comes without validity confirmation. Is it a bug of pr.1.2?
ZDA has the complete date + time in one message, GGA and GLL have only time of day.

On the mag variation, the NIST issues an updated set of model coefficients every five years. Perhaps the N900 knows that it doesn't have the 2010 update?

On the other hand, reasonably-priced magnetic compasses aren't going to be accurate enough for it to matter.

Last edited by bobh; 2010-12-24 at 17:22. Reason: Slightly mis-stated message contents.

The Following User Says Thank You to bobh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bobh View Post
ZDA has the complete date + time in one message, GGA and GLL have only time of day.

On the mag variation, the NIST issues an updated set of model coefficients every five years. Perhaps the N900 knows that it doesn't have the 2010 update?

On the other hand, reasonably-priced magnetic compasses aren't going to be accurate enough for it to matter.
I'm guessing my NMEA sentences aren't perfect and any issues you all find I'd really like to know about. I have to generate the sentences myself from the data that is available from Qt mobilitys' location api, so somethings maybe missing, guessed at or plain wrong. I would like to have it finalized with sensible numbers by v1 so it'd be nice if those of you that are in the know help me with the values thanks guys I'm really happy you all like the app, it makes it all worthwhile

Posts: 62 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ New Hampshire, US
Originally Posted by tswindell View Post
I'm guessing my NMEA sentences aren't perfect and any issues you all find I'd really like to know about. I have to generate the sentences myself from the data that is available from Qt mobilitys' location api...
Oh, I guess I was assuming they were coming from the GPS.

My comments were based on what the sentences are supposed to have, not what I observed from your app. When I get a minute I'll try to run your output against my parser to see what happens

Originally Posted by bobh View Post
Oh, I guess I was assuming they were coming from the GPS.
Possible, getting original NMEA data from the device is not a forvard looking solution, since the position can be obtained with non-satellite method?
libqtm-location is a wrapper of liblocation, which does not provide information about magnetic variation, seems to cause errors in this. So that attribute is always invalid.

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by FRuMMaGe View Post
I'm faily sure Columbus didn't have an N900 either
I did see a painting of him holding the N9. Looked like it was running Symbian so it might have been the E7. His hand was over where the microSD would have gone so we'll never know for sure. What was cool there was an iPhone in the background - in chains.

Originally Posted by Sergey Fedchenko View Post
Possible, getting original NMEA data from the device is not a forvard looking solution, since the position can be obtained with non-satellite method?
libqtm-location is a wrapper of liblocation, which does not provide information about magnetic variation, seems to cause errors in this. So that attribute is always invalid.
What you don't understand is, there is no NMEA data from the device. The GPS talks to a user space library call liblocation in a binary protocol. liblocation is then wrapped in the Qt Mobility location APIs. I'm pretty certain that the GPS receiver isn't capable of generating NMEA itself.

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Canada
Thanks for this very useful yet aesthetically pleasing app.
I would like to point out however that closing th app was not very intuitive to me. To close the app I first minimize to get the overview of open apps and then I close it from there. Is there a different way of quitting the app from within?

The Following User Says Thank You to abuelmagd For This Useful Post:

Tags
navigation, nokia n900