Active Topics

Notices

Thanks! I noticed something odd. I'm using the sysinfo widget to monitor cpu usage and it says 8% - 11% for the cpu activity. When I run top in xterminal the cpu usage is just 3% to 6%. Why is it dropping when in xterminal?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by jonpatricktan View Post
I just tried closing all widgets. CPU usage ranges from 8% to 11%. I wonder what is running in the background.
Widgets shouldn't eat much into the cpu usage. I have 3 desktops with multiple widgets (including custom ones running scripts) and that is not affecting the usage.

btw which processes did htop tell you are using the cpu when you're idling?

I was having this problem also with videos that I took with the N900's camera, but only when overclocked. When I set my profile back to the stock 600Mhz the videos play smoothly without stuttering. Weird, but it worked for me.

Xvid in avi with nonstandard "packed b frames" skips 1 of 2 frames, or 2 of 3 frames on average, depending on how the file was made.

@abuelmagd notmuch activity but here's the top 3 which doesn't consumemore than 2%.
1. usr/bin/xorg -logf = 1.9% cpu usage
2. usr/sbin/ohmd --no
3. top

@shadowjk how can i convert using standard "packed b frames"? Thanks!

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
You may want to try my performance tweak tune up utilities script. Although is emphasis is on network security and performance it tweaks some vm kernel parameters. Please check my signature for more. Also there is swapoluble and Boost900 with slightly different tweaking but also promise more perfornance.

Correct me if I'm wrong!

Last edited by epitaph; 2010-12-29 at 02:02.

Thanks epitaph. However, I feel that the method is pretty advance for me. I'll try to learn more with linux because I'm afraid that I might brick my phone.

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Originally Posted by jonpatricktan View Post
Thanks epitaph. However, I feel that the method is pretty advance for me. I'll try to learn more with linux because I'm afraid that I might brick my phone.
You are welcome. I'm not a pro to write tutorials and I'm new to this device also but my script hasn't any installer hence it is start manually everytime you gain root access in xterminal and want to start the performance tweaks. So it can't be that dangerous because if you reboot its gone.

I now opted to flash my device and I think I was able in doing so. I think shadowjk might have his theory right. Perhaps it is the video format that causes the video playback to stutter. After flashing my device, I tried playing a video and it still stutters. I'm still trying to eliminate the stutter. Thank you guys for guiding me but please still continue because I still haven't found the reason why it stutters. Thanks!

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
This all "how much cpu" is almost nonsense to me

-I recommend to use default media-player or kmplayer with default media-player streamer
-Use handbrake settings that have been given in link maemo.org wiki and this way you should get video encoded in correct codecs (video&audio) with correct settings and container that gets HW-acceleration on N900.

If you still se stuttering then lower bitrate.

From here yous hould get HQ trailers that have been encoded on quality that should still give you stutter free playback. But what I have tested these clips are on "edge" of performance capability of N900:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=39034