Hey guys.

I've left my charger somewhere and won't be able to get it for three days. Is it bad to charge my n900 fully from USB? Is it best for the phone to be on or off when I charge from USB?

Thanks,
Ian

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
It is not bad to charge from USB. The only thing is that a USB typically outputs a max of 500mA and the wall charger outputs 1200mA, so USB will charge a lot slower and if you are doing something with your N900 that uses a lot of power it may not even charge at all (it will tell you if it is not getting enough power to charge with). It is okay to leave it on while charging through USB, but will charge quicker if it is turned off.

Posts: 55 | Thanked: 16 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Thailand
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
...but will charge quicker if it is turned off.
You can't turn the N900 off while charging, just leave it alone to make it conserve the power.

Huh? I turned mine off and the charging light is animating.

Also bear in mind you won't be able to charge it from some USB ports (e.g.
a USB-socket-equipped keyboard, some front panel USB sockets of PC's which aren't allocated enough power, etc). Always charge it directly from a PC's back sockets (or a laptop's USB ports) to get access to full power. Phone can be on, no probs - just leave it alone as inkerby says.

Thanks guys, really helpful! hny

Posts: 69 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ Joseon
there is some app. to enable/disable USB charging? Let say that i don't want to charge it from USB...

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by inkirby View Post
You can't turn the N900 off while charging, just leave it alone to make it conserve the power.
You can actually turn it "off", but the N900 will stay on, in the ACT_DEAD mode. Just like it happens when it's fully off and you plug the USB cable.

The Following User Says Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post: