Active Topics

Well, I have already installed FM RDS Notify, to play music over FM. So you'll tune in and store Maemo FM at whatever frequency you set it to.

If this works like that and you're not streaming music from the N900, you'll probably have to set your stereo to FM and pick your stored Maemo FM frequency.

Now, where the N900 differs from most other cell phones, is that you can send audio AND TEXT to your non-bluetooth radio. Basically pretty much every old car stereo. Unfortunately it'll have to work within the FM/RDS limitations - unlike bluetooth handsfree it'll not take control and pause your CD.

Posts: 189 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by N900@900MHz View Post
Updated to v0.4 seems to work now, will testing further.
Update :

Application tested, seems to work OK.
Found 1 bug, when you are streaming music thru FM-transmitter, and a call is recieved, the call is correctly sent to FM transmitter. BUT when the call is ENDED, the FM transmitter is somehow switched OFF, altough is says it is ON. The music streaming is no more sent thru FM-transmitter, instead is it played to the phone speakers.

Manually switch OFF and back ON the FM transmitter solved this problem, but is not very handy.

For your information:
When you don't use FM carkit (off position) and playing music thru fm transmitter, and a call is made the call sound comes thru the phone speaker, when you end the call, the music continious playing thru the fm transmitter,is back swiched on.

Somehow the FM carkit stops the fmtransitter to switch on.

Any idea's??? to fix this???
Thanks anyway for your effort.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to N900@900MHz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 22 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
dont really have the need for this but like someone else said, this is what sets the N900 apart from other mobile devices.

not quite sure how it would work in a real use case...

so you have to tune your radio in when you get a call?
Yes, but in my case, i just have to tap one of my shortcuts on my radio.

I understand that tuning in on the correct freq. can be a littlebit tricky, while driving....

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 53 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by N900@900MHz View Post
Update :

Application tested, seems to work OK.
Found 1 bug, when you are streaming music thru FM-transmitter, and a call is recieved, the call is correctly sent to FM transmitter. BUT when the call is ENDED, the FM transmitter is somehow switched OFF, altough is says it is ON. The music streaming is no more sent thru FM-transmitter, instead is it played to the phone speakers.

Manually switch OFF and back ON the FM transmitter solved this problem, but is not very handy.

For your information:
When you don't use FM carkit (off position) and playing music thru fm transmitter, and a call is made the call sound comes thru the phone speaker, when you end the call, the music continious playing thru the fm transmitter,is back swiched on.

Somehow the FM carkit stops the fmtransitter to switch on.

Any idea's??? to fix this???
Thanks anyway for your effort.
Hm, strange got exactly the same situation and music started again after a couple of seconds. Did you tested this with 0.4?

I will check it out for sure

edit1: I checked it for a manualy intiated outgoing call, and I can't reproduce:

1. Turn on music with mediaplayer and enable fm-transmitter through fm-transmitter status-menu
2. Turn on fm-carkit
3. Listen music for a couple of minutes (nice music )
4. start outgoing call, fm will stop for a couple seconds and is activated again after a couple of seconds after the call is picked up
5. after hanging up the music starts playing again after a couple of seconds.

edit2: incoming calls: after ending conversion the music starts after 5 a 10 secs again.

Last edited by Roeland; 2011-01-04 at 22:23.

I can confirm above problem, the music don't work after the call is done.. Great app though, thanks alot for making this!

Posts: 468 | Thanked: 775 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hereford, England
Thanks alot for making this Roeland. When I first got this phone and tried out the fm transmitter, I thought that it would be great if someone could manage to implement this, and now you have. Many thanks.

Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Originally Posted by deny_winarto View Post
I can confirm above problem, the music don't work after the call is done.. Great app though, thanks alot for making this!
It works if you just wait 5/10 seconds after the call is ended

i dont know if anyone has experienced this but when i turn the carkit on and the called is routed through the fm transmitter, call volume is set to almost 1 and have to increase volume manually but this is only one time deal; the first call you receive or make after turning it on, would not do the second time and once you turn the carkit off and use regular earpiece you have to up the volume because it is set back to almost level 1.

@Roeland

I think the best value of use for i tool like FM CARKIT would be this:

1 No automatic activation or deactivation of the transmitter

2 If Carkit switched on: Calling sound and phone speker sound is transmitted. when Carkit is off: Normal state with no phone sound on the transmitter

The Advantage: Carkit is then only a Phone FM Transmitter enabler when the Transmitter is used in Car when Music runs. and could ever be switched on. When you're not in car the Transmitter stay off.

Peter from Munich

just installed and it works great! thanx to roeland.
this app is a musthave for drivers.