Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Originally Posted by NIN101 View Post
SNIP
Oh, if you use some passwords in GUI applications, make sure that this auto complete stuff is deactivated, because it will probably store it in /home/user/.osso/dictionaries/.personal.dictionary. It was a nice awakening when I found out about it :-).
I was amazed at what I found in my dictionary when I began using the autocomplete dictionary editor. Passwords, user names and all sort of stuff I'd prefer not be in the open. Your point about auto-complete being turned off is a good one. I go through the entire autocomplete dictionary every so often just to make sure it is clean. Also to remove stuff like "grrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeerrrrrr" that gets entered from my pocket.

Originally Posted by zimon View Post
We are not safe anywhere. Trust no one.
Yes, I trust no one. But I need to get my apps from somewhere. So you have to consider whether to load the app and take the risk or to use no apps (which makes no sense).

But as I wrote: I, myself, think that malware is more unlikely in open source applications.

So I do, what I can to secure my N900. But I know, that it will never be 100% safe!

Originally Posted by NIN101 View Post
Oh, if you use some passwords in GUI applications, make sure that this auto complete stuff is deactivated, because it will probably store it in /home/user/.osso/dictionaries/.personal.dictionary. It was a nice awakening when I found out about it :-).
Interesting! I didn't check this until today, but I will do!