Active Topics

Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
My mobile carrier is GSM hybrid 900/1800 for voice and SMS. Is there a way to know (even if it's a dbus query I don't care) which GSM band I'm currently using in the N900?

I'm asking because I'm curious, the 1800 MHz cells are supposed to be better (or so my carrier says). I'd want to know which one I'm using and a way to force the registering in another band would also be nice.

I used to have a Palm Treo 650 and there was a way to force a specific GSM band on it.

Please bear my 8-years-old grammar and bad english (it's not my native language).

There is an application called Cell Tower Info which should give the information.

Cheerio, naj

The Following User Says Thank You to naj For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,396 | Thanked: 2,796 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Caracas, Venezuela
Originally Posted by naj View Post
There is an application called Cell Tower Info which should give the information.

Cheerio, naj
I checked that and it says the same information as the Phone.Net.get_registration_info method for the com.nokia.phone.net interface path. Thanks anyway!

But it doesn't say which band I'm using (900Mhz/1800MHz).

It would be cool to get the documentation of all methods under Phone.Net. Using d-feet (a D-bus browser) and connecting it to the System Bus doesn't work and it looks there like the Phone.Net is empty.

I also tried using 'dbus-monitor --system interface=Phone.Net,path=/com/nokia/phone/net' and waiting for commands to the interface, but nothing helpful ever showed up.

Posts: 549 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australian in the Philippines
If I remember rightly, the info you are seeking is locked away in the more inaccessible cellular engine area of the baseband. I would imagine probably at this stage only Nokia know how to retrieve the numbers (via I guess an application like Netmon in the Symbian world). The only other way would be via test points on the board.

Some interesting info is available in the L3 & 4 service manual, but probably you would require a spectrum analyzer and oscilloscope at this level.

The Following User Says Thank You to dchky For This Useful Post: