Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Can you show me an official statement on this? I havent seen it?
Sorry. An official statement would mean they care enough to make official statements.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Descalzo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by funkmunk View Post
Flash 10.1 = Install NITDroid it working flawlessly there.
I already have an Android phone with Flash 10.1. I was talking about a Maemo version of Flash 10.1 - all in accordance to whom I responding.

What's wrong with your skype? Works fine on mine.
Correction. It works fine for you as it was deployed originally. Since then, it's been updated 5 times on all other platforms (5 times on iOS, 3 times on Android) and only once on Maemo. Do your own research what those upgrades brought to those platforms that don't exist on Maemo.

Better front camera quality,better maps & MS Office = I'll give that to you.these shud improve.
I almost refuse to add more layers of processes for something that should have been out of the box, or extended via other means - like Google Docs - it's been updated to work and allow Android and iOS (perhaps WebOS too) but that's not what I mean. My Android phone came with QuickOffice. My office has two Win Phone 7 phones and they came with MS Office. My iPad has some other apps, but they're not out of the box, so I'll not add that to my list. But it should all have happened, but it hasn't. And it won't. Not natively nor officially.

better OVI = Get the latest OVI Suite if thats what your talking about.
It sucks, I don't like it, it's a horrible experience. It feels decidedly beta, if not close to an alpha. It's a step backwards from almost every other option out there. It's 2011, not 2007.

Seems like your batch of N900 had the loose usb issue which was easily fixed at Nokia Care. Following ones are much stable.
Buying a brand new phone shouldn't mean that I should be more careful with it than any other microUSB device that I've had prior - my N810 never got loose. That's plain and simple bad decisions to cheap out on the way it was attached to the board. Now I have a ****ing landmine of a phone that might just pull apart unless I decide to buy yet another battery, a desktop charger and do the song and dance of pulling the back off, slipping out the old battery, slipping in the charged battery and going from there.

I'm quite sure the hundreds of folks will enjoy your candor about how they were not either careful and/or it's just a way you're supposed to use it.

Guess I'm scared I'll "use it wrong" </sarcasm>

More than 256mn RAM = What are you running on ur phone buddy?
Does it matter, buddy? My Captivate has 512mb of RAM, had to move to a custom Froyo firmware to utilize it all; but you know what? I've never ran out of RAM in my daily operations. I've seen too many people say that about their N900. I've not run into that personally, but my N900 is my clunky travel phone, nothing more.

Less issues with rootfs = Everything is optified so that there is a smooth experience with apps & space is not wasted when the apps stores data.
Not true. It's handled better as of PR1.3, but not optimal.

Separate ringtones for callers = Get the Custom Ringtones for callers app from the repos
Is that out of the box? Nope. You're so not getting what the **** I'm saying at all. Out of the box experience is real ****ing poor on Maemo. I shouldn't have to use all of my 15 years of Linux experience to make a phone do simple things that other phones have done for the last 8+ years out of the box. The ability to do that though, after some time in the community, the terminal and/or application development or scripting process is friggin' awesome.

I'll repeat it since you've somehow overlooked it consistently... out of the box experience is downright poor.

MMS = fMMS works without problems..no offence but do u really use MMS?
Yes, I use MMS. No offense, but do you want to pay my bill?

AGAIN, fMMS is not out of the box. Neither was the iPhone. This forum, and many others, picked on Apple for not including it. What did Nokia do? Do the same exact ****ing thing. And what happened? It was actually accepted by this forum, and an enterprising person(s) created fMMS - which by default shows off how great Maemo truly is.

But guess what? I have to know my MMS settings for my carrier. It's a couple of clicks extra than most any other streamlined process. It's not as friendly as other implementations and just feels like it's tacked on... and not in the best of ways, but in a way that's acceptable.

You've somehow misunderstood what I said before, invariably you'll continue down this path yet again. I've said everything carefully, probably will have to resort to repeating myself ad nauseum, so let me say this one thing again...

The out of the box experience for the Nokia N900 downright sucks in comparison to any other phone other there that claims to be a smartphone. I have to apply even more research to the OS than I did for purchasing the damn thing, it doesn't even send images via MMS out of the box, it cannot open up and edit MS Office files out of the box, it will never get an update to Flash Player 10.1 out of the box. I have to add repositories, I have to open up the terminal, I have to login to a community like this, I have to install many other libraries, applications and workarounds just to get to a comfortable place to use the damn thing, then I have to buy yet another battery, a desktop charger, shave down the barbs on the microUSB charger and submit myself to constant questions of "Did you do your research?" ... if I were a n00b, that is. I've been here longer than most folks, and yet I've seen that thrown around constantly... that's a downright uninviting way to ask for a way to help anybody. Anyway, out of the box plain sucks. The fact that the platform has many ways to rectify that though, is great.

Don't make me repeat myself.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bigears5000 View Post
Who is josephws apart from being the person who posted about this. Does he have any link to Nokia?
I found this link
http://www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry...with-Dual-boot

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by clovis86 View Post
N900 is not available anymore ...
It bloody better be lol. I've just bought one from Nokia UK Online shop and I'm expecting it to be delivered tommorow.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
It is available and (surprisingly) still among the best selling 3G phones on amazon.de, for example. Why should it not be available?
Exactly. Referring to my post above as well.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
After reading my above response... it was way more ******* than I intended. I just hate repeating myself in regards to out of the box experience.

To be honest, they all somewhat suck out of the box, that's what apps are for. The ability to extend the OS adds to the life and extensibility of the platform.

But to be honest, the N900 lacks quite a few things out of the box compared to some other platforms - past and present. Heck, the N8 comes with more out of the box than the N900.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by JamesBond@ge View Post
It bloody better be lol. I've just bought one from Nokia UK Online shop and I'm expecting it to be delivered tommorow.
yeha sorry it was jus a sold out in nokia france ..

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by elie-7 View Post
nokia has anandoned the n900, thats a fact we all have to live with .
Maemo...they have abandoned maemo.

http://wiki.meego.com/ARM/N900#The_team_and_the_work

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
After reading my above response... it was way more ******* than I intended. I just hate repeating myself in regards to out of the box experience.

To be honest, they all somewhat suck out of the box, that's what apps are for. The ability to extend the OS adds to the life and extensibility of the platform.

But to be honest, the N900 lacks quite a few things out of the box compared to some other platforms - past and present. Heck, the N8 comes with more out of the box than the N900.
The one thing thats always surprised me is that it lacks Contact Groups out of the box (apparently, getting mine tommorow). I've seen people say "yeah, but its a mobile computer first with added phone functionality".

That may be the case, but is Contact Groups something to leave out just because it's supposedly a "mobile computer". I've never understood that.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
....runs dual core A4 or something similar. So the only way for N9 to beat the iPhone is to run dual core processor from the start and 1GB of RAM. ....
Right.

Make battery last double time and there you have device that beats everything. With average HW.

People have gone crazy on specs. Itīs like digicams Mpixels race again. Of course cpu and gpu get better but there is IMO many many other things on HW and SW side before them.

Tags
factfromfiction, fukking fanboys, i wish, just shoot me, meego vs pr 1.4, penis face, ya rite