Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I guess the whole "mobile computer" part backfired. I've never purchased a computer that I couldn't upgrade.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
all those bashing about Nokia not upgrading OS are people her totally blind or what!? we have gotten two already!! And btw... most phones get new firmware for max a year then upgrades stops Nokia or not but this is how it works. And in the case of the so fantastic Android there are plenty of phones that already is not upgraded to >2.2!
What cool aid did you drink ? We are talking about upgrades from one version of OS to another and you mention about incremental minor upgrades as an example.

PR 1.2 to PR 1.3 is a minor upgrade to Maemo 5.

Come back and tell me when Nokia upgrades your N900 from Maemo 5 to Maemo 6/Meego .
Or ask the N800/N810 users how they got upgraded from Maemo 4 to Maemo 5.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
all those bashing about Nokia not upgrading OS are people her totally blind or what!? we have gotten two already!! And btw... most phones get new firmware for max a year then upgrades stops Nokia or not but this is how it works. And in the case of the so fantastic Android there are plenty of phones that already is not upgraded to >2.2!
What happened to the advantages of an "open-source' operating system and all those wonderful comments floating around about "future proofing" these Internet Tablets with community support whenever Nokia moves on to its new devices. I've yet to see Nokia provide the community with the support it needs to backport Fremantle to our N800's, the way they outright announced that they would. What happened to all that wonderful talk gave about how they contribute so much back to open-source and how they were all about open-development and open-source and open this and that?

To bring up the even BETTER point that a previous genuinely intelligent commenter brought up, what happened to the idea that this was supposed to be a mobile COMPUTER, rather than a phone? If I go down your road of looking at other phones and their support, then I must restate for the record what an incredibly poor phone these Maemo devices have been--even the N900 which has a genuine cellphone radio in it and was sold as a phone. A crippled phone at that.

Do I even need to drag my Motorola Droid back into this? I recieved FAR more official OTA incremental *AND* major upgrades than the N900 did--both phones being released at nearly the same time, by the way. It appears that although the Droid wasn't promised the next major upgrade, it might just be coming after all. There's already a beta build from source-code floating around for the rooted crowd which I'm trying to avoid until it's not-beta. I'm told it's only days away from release. How long until you get your next major upgrade? Incremental? Hello? Anything?

If you're going to start comparing phone support to phone support, try bothering to look around first at the competition--you sound daft on ALL your counts. Nokia should be ashamed of its upgrade support and customer support history--a hollow soulless limbo.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
upgrade? just wait 355 days...

Can't believe a Father Ted reference went unnoticed. Hard crowd tonight.

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Can't believe a Father Ted reference went unnoticed. Hard crowd tonight.
Oh it didnt go unnoticed, but Father Ted is a 1995 - 1998 event! This thread is for 2011 events!

"Feck off 1995 -1998 event"

Cybot950 - Control a robot with your N9/N950
SMSPetFeeder - Build a Bluetooth/SMS dog feeder with Qt, N950, and arduino
Nerf950 - Use your N9/N950 to fire a Nerf gun

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kojacker For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Oh it didnt go unnoticed, but Father Ted is a 1995 - 1998 event! This thread is for 2011 events!

"Feck off 1995 -1998 event"
Cripes. Where's Chuck Norris when we need him?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I think if you look back, I was historically talking about the Maemo devices...
I know what you said - please read my comment again: I brought the fact that the new Symbian devices will be upgraded while it didn't used to be like that previously - as an example of how Nokia sobered up and started understanding how the market has changed.
I was thinking that if - a few years ago - you wanted to have an entirely new Symbian version on your Nokia phone, you had to buy a new phone but now you don't have to anymore (up to a certain point, of course), and I'm hoping that Nokia would realize that this new (to Nokia) logic should also be applied to Maemo/MeeGo.
I know Maemo's past, and I know that Nokia didn't used to enable the user to upgrade to a newer OS when it eventually was released, but as I said - I'm hoping that this will be changed from now on, especially due to the fact that Nokia now has a new CEO with a different (?) way of managing, and I'm hoping that the fruits of this management changes would eventually find their ways to us, the end-users.
This is merely my hope, nothing more...

Btw, sorry for not not noticing your 'Father Ted' reference - I have no idea who that guy is...

Originally Posted by nilchak View Post
One reason MIGHT (speculation) be that while Symbian is now relegated for low-end to mid-end devices - which have smaller profit margins - Nokia might be willing to let users upgrade the OS on these devices to bring in more software (OVI) related income instead of hardware upgrades on these devices.
First of all, as far as I know - Nokia's major profit comes from that "low-end to mid-end" market segment.
In fact, in terms of selling cellular phones (not only smartphones) Nokia's still manages to be the most largest seller, with a market share which is far higher than any of its competitors...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cellula...e#Market_share

As for the rest of your comment, I direct you to my above comment to gebrick.

Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You seem rather new here. Hi! Welcome to the Talk.Maemo.org. Welcome, welcome.

Last edited by efekt; 2011-01-10 at 12:33.

The Following User Says Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by efekt View Post
I know what you said - please read my comment again: I brought the fact that the new Symbian devices will be upgraded while it didn't used to be like that previously - as an example of how Nokia sobered up and started understanding how the market has changed.
That's a new development... and Symbian != Maemo

I sorta refuse to speak on a platform that I will never support.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
You seem rather new here. Hi! Welcome to the Talk.Maemo.org. Welcome, welcome.
Nonsense, this is talk.bash-nokia.org!

What happened to the advantages of an "open-source' operating system
Having an open source operating system can't compensate on the vendor's failure to deliver. It says nothing about the open source nature of the operating system.

The Following User Says Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:

Tags
best of 2011, douchebaggery, douchethread, fud fud fap fap, how to quote, i need drugs, wait for meego!, what is n9?, zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz