And just how fast was Google getting to Honeycomb from 2.2 to Gingerbread ... and the MeeGo wheels keep rolling and keep rolling ...

I was pretty interested in the first initial Meego Tablet experience but I guess Nokia / Intel dumped that. Now Honeycomb can fill that space.

But on the subject of Tablet OS's I did like the Eden panel views that Notion Ink designed on top of Android (reminded me of the panel views of Meego Tablet).

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nilchak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Wait... the N810 did offer the entire internet. Just that you could install methods to block ads, like Privoxy.
It offered it, but not well enough IMHO, hence the need for wiki pages like this. I got sick of my N810 taking more than a half minute to load web sites like CNet, Ars Technica, weather.com, and many others designed for the desktop. I got tired of sites like Google Maps or Google Docs or Google-just-about-anything being too slow b/c of all the JavaScript. Sites like FaceBook and Hulu started requiring a later Flash version. Many Flash games were too slow unless you switched them to "Low Quality". So I feel like I can kind of access the full Internet, but it's leaving me in its rear view mirror.

I would ideally want to get that back with a tablet, not because I miss the ads of non-mobile web sites, but because I want to go to a site like Hulu or Medici and have it just work without having to have someone build an app for the stupid thing. I mean, correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't get Hulu for iOS, right? It's just Hulu Plus ($$), right? This kind of thing just seems ridiculous to me.

The Following User Says Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
is this the 4G generation on Android?

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
That depends, right? When did we start attributing generations to software versions and what, precisely, do you consider a generation in a software version?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 313 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ USA
i just got home from CES.

motorola had a honeycomb tablet. it was nice and honeycomb is definately a step up for android. it was dificult to get to it as they only had one tablet and too many people around it.

but my favorite new product was the rim tablet on webkit. it was solid and had true multi-tasking with flash and html5. i am not a lkiker of blackberries, just dont like the interfaces, but the tablet is nice. being released in wifi first and then with sprint on wimax.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ceroberts75 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
That depends, right? When did we start attributing generations to software versions and what, precisely, do you consider a generation in a software version?
not reading enough and carefully.

reading........so this is a tablet friendly version.......is the Galaxy Tab got problems with Froyo???

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Isn't Maemo 5 the 4th step out of 5?

I stopped putting importance on generation(s) mainly because of how it's potentially perceived. 1.6, 2.0, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 could be seen as incremental steps or seen as generations. I just see them as incremental steps of the OS and have to differentiate between the hardware as the generations now.

Edit: Oops, didn't see danramos post above... basically said the same thing as him.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
........so this is a tablet friendly version.......is the Galaxy Tab got problems with Froyo???
Yes. Honeycomb is a tablet friendly version - moreso than the current Froyo iteration(s) that give the impression of being a larger version of the phone software.

To me, that's not exactly ideal, but it's not too much of a prob. I've played with the Galaxy Tab and like it. But using the current version(s) of the tablets - iPad and Galaxy Tab - it feels like phone iterations of those software. The RIM Playbook and Honeycomb seem to really take advantage of the tablet form in a new, more efficient way.

That... I like even more. But no probs really with Froyo. Just that it feels unoptimized for the format.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ceroberts75 View Post
but my favorite new product was the rim tablet on webkit. it was solid and had true multi-tasking with flash and html5. i am not a lkiker of blackberries, just dont like the interfaces, but the tablet is nice. being released in wifi first and then with sprint on wimax.
I thought RIM tablets were being sold as mere extensions of a BlackBerry. If true, that would be reminiscent of Palm which almost had a slam dunk with their Foleo that was a "netbook before we knew that netbooks existed". But it was an epic fail b/c you couldn't get onto the Internet except via a Palm smartphone. I thought that RIM was in the process of making the same terrible mistake. Was I incorrect?

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by buurmas View Post
I thought RIM tablets were being sold as mere extensions of a BlackBerry. If true, that would be reminiscent of Palm which almost had a slam dunk with their Foleo that was a "netbook before we knew that netbooks existed". But it was an epic fail b/c you couldn't get onto the Internet except via a Palm smartphone. I thought that RIM was in the process of making the same terrible mistake. Was I incorrect?
I'm not familiar with Foleo. The RIM Playbook doesn't haven't 3G is all. Last I heard, you will be able to WiFi and bt tether to most phones.

Tags
android envy, not really open