Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
Does it have to use Custome Kernel!!!
No. No it magically stopped needing to use the custom kernel sometime between now and the last time someone asked just a couple pages ago.

Rule of thumb: If someone bothers including an entire custom kernel image, chances are, you need that kernel image.

It's basically power kernel v46, with one module compiled and added in that the modified driver needs to work. If you're using it with multiboot, everything you need is included.

If you're using uboot, I can provide you with either the instructions on how to use the image lxp provides with dd and mkimage to combine it with a uboot image, or with a flashable kernel image already prepended with uboot (I'm assuming you already have the sources and files anyway, so presumably providing you with the same image attached to a uboot binary would just save you effort/time, and not violate anything).

Is there a fix for the camera "operation failed" issue? I do not have the "osso" installed and never did.

Posts: 199 | Thanked: 22 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Philippines
Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Is there a fix for the camera "operation failed" issue? I do not have the "osso" installed and never did.
have you install F-cam api drivers?

Originally Posted by IsaacDFP View Post
Uninstall all the FCam stuff (BlessN900, FCamera, that one low-light picture taking program - everything that uses FCam drivers). Then reboot. Then reinstall all the FCam stuff. Reboot. The fix has been around for months. It happens when the kernel updates to a newer version, but doesn't update the drivers with it, or something along those lines gets screwed up. Reinstalling the drivers tends to fix it. If it doesn't, something else is wrong.

As for the osso stuff, if you have the N900, you have "osso". Osso - I'm not sure what it stands for though - is a prefix for a bunch of the stuff that's installed on the N900 by default. Some of it, like the thing lxp's patch fixes, is necessary for the system to work. For instance, half of the applications that are installed by default have osso in their name (I don't remember which ones do. You can always open up x-term and type osso and press tab twice. It should show a bunch of commands that start with osso in the name).

Anyway, the point is, this osso package fixes a bug in the stock osso-wifi-thingy. The problem is it makes apt-get complain about dependencies being wrong. If you don't install it, you don't lose too much - you just might have to occasionally restart your wifi driver to make it work right if the bug kicks in.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Is the downloading file really 141 mb or am I downloading a wrong file? Because I dont have much space left in my applications?

Originally Posted by Haider View Post
Is the downloading file really 141 mb or am I downloading a wrong file? Because I dont have much space left in my applications?
Yeah it's pretty big, but a lot of that is the source code, kernel headers, and other stuff.

The sources are just there to comply with GPL. They don't actually do anything, so they can be kept in the MyDocs partition or moved off-device. The kernel will override your current kernel, so it's not like it adds much if anything to the space used. The kernel headers don't need to be installed, so that's a lot of space aside from the source code saved. Then there's the multiboot-compatible package, so you don't need to install that unless you're using multiboot, and again, it probably won't take much space.

Also, you can keep the driver modules on the MyDocs partition, so long as you rewrite/edit the load/unload scripts to use absolute paths or the appropriate relative paths.

In other words, you're not actually using that much application space at all.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 173 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by lxp View Post
Thank you for your donation.
I am going to look into the ad-hoc problem soon.
AP mode may be possible to implement, I will add that to my todo list. We are not really stuck at 2.6.28 wifi stack. This driver already uses compat-wireless to backport the bleeding-edge wifi stack to the 2.6.28 kernel.
Ah, that is excellent news. I'll look at what is needed in later kernels config/command-wise to actually enable AP mode having only read about the potential until now. Is it possible this already works due to the backport?

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Osso - I'm not sure what it stands for though - is a prefix for a bunch of the stuff that's installed on the N900 by default
OSSO - Open Source Software Operations

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Uninstall all the FCam stuff (BlessN900, FCamera, that one low-light picture taking program - everything that uses FCam drivers). Then reboot. Then reinstall all the FCam stuff. Reboot.
Thank you very much. It's my first time playing around with power kernel so I wasn't aware of this. I also had a few other applications that failed to launch but reinstalling them also fixed it. As per the newly modified osso wifi driver, i'd rather manually restart it the rare times i get out of range than not be able to receive future ota updates. But thanks again

Posts: 284 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Peterborough, UK
The feature modified wasn't the wifi driver, but osso-wlan, i.e. wlancond - which is simply a daemon ensuring wl1251-cal gets run, amongst other things. The driver is modified within the kernel module and does not prevent future OTA updates.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tigerite For This Useful Post:

Tags
driver, injection, wl1251