Active Topics

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Portugal
Hi,

I've uninstalled power kernel .45 and installed bfs kernel .45 directly from the deb's.
I used the dpkg -i *.deb sugestions but it failed the first time because it tried to install kernel flasher before the kernel and complained about dependencies.
Ran the same command again and flashed the kernel this time around.
But failed to install linux-kernel headers' on both runs. Is it really needed?
Anyway, for now I haven't noticed any improvements in any way (but it's still too early to tell) and secondly does this kernel provide overclocking? If yes, how to access on the CLI? (like kernel-config on titan's kernel)

silbah

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by silbah View Post
Hi,

I've uninstalled power kernel .45 and installed bfs kernel .45 directly from the deb's.
I used the dpkg -i *.deb sugestions but it failed the first time because it tried to install kernel flasher before the kernel and complained about dependencies.
Ran the same command again and flashed the kernel this time around.
But failed to install linux-kernel headers' on both runs. Is it really needed?
Anyway, for now I haven't noticed any improvements in any way (but it's still too early to tell) and secondly does this kernel provide overclocking? If yes, how to access on the CLI? (like kernel-config on titan's kernel)

silbah
You minimally need kernel-bfs, kernel-bfs-modules and kernel-bfs-flasher. The headers are for compiling additional kernel modules (which most users won't have to do) and the bootimg is for multiboot etc.

I've recompiled kernel-power-settings to depend on kernel-bfs instead of kernel-power a few posts back. Installing that package will provide the kernel-config script, allowing you to overclock just as you used to

To prevent this package to be 'updated' to the official one (which will pull in kernel-power because it depends on that), add the following text to /etc/apt/preferences (create this file if it doesn't exist yet):
Code:
Package: kernel-power-settings
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 1001

Posts: 168 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Finland
I tried kernel-bfs v42 for a few days, but I had to revert back to kernel-power v42 due to some annoying features.

Browsing with MicroB was sluggish. Touch screen did not respond well enough to have a smooth web browsing.

Time to time desktop transitions were not smooth (even when CPU was not loaded)

Posivite was that pulseaudio used less CPU during mp3 playback.
- BFS ~5%
- CFS ~10%

Otherwise OK. I'll follow up BFS progress.
Thanks!

Last edited by Gusse; 2010-11-17 at 07:40.

I have kernel-bfs v45 installed for almost a week now and I must sayy that I do not notice any performance or responsiveness improvements over kernel-power v45.
Just as Gusse pointed out the desktop transitions are not as smooth as before. And unlocking from the slider seems a little bit slower too, or a slightly longer delay to show the system menu when you press the power button.
For me browsing seems ok, just like before.
Using the built-in app manager still slows the system down to a crawl.
Haven't played with the media player, so I can't comment on that.

But overall, I couldn't see any real benefits from BFS over CFS.
I would like to read about the experiences of other people who have this kernel installed.

silbah

and also new/old fcam-drivers won't work on bfs with kernel45... It causes operation failed everytime I start camera app

A few pages back in this thread you will find a link to download a working fcam-drivers package for this kernel, which will all the camera apps work.

Just want to add that I uninstalled bfs kernel yesterday.
The reason is that I couldn't find any benefits in having it.
I'm now on kernel-power v46.

silbah

yeah downloaded that fcam driver but it fails.

Posts: 268 | Thanked: 1,053 times | Joined on May 2010 @ The Netherlands
Kernel-bfs has been updated to include the BFS CPU scheduler v0.363 and all the changes from kernel-power up the current latest version available (2.6.28-maemo46).
This release bumps the kernel-bfs version to -bfs5

Compiled debs can be found in the files section of the kernel-bfs garage page:
https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_...elease_id=4365

The source can be found in the GIT repository:
https://garage.maemo.org/scm/?group_id=1886

On a side note: some people reported less smooth transitions when using kernel-bfs. As a possible solution for those who experience that, I've compiled schedtool for the N900 to be able to make use of the additional policies BFS introduces. Click here to download it.
Make sure the following command runs when hildon-desktop has been started, e.g. with a startup script
Code:
sleep 5 && /usr/bin/schedtool -I `pidof hildon-desktop`
This basically sets a policy for hildon-desktop which allows it to use more CPU time when the N900 is being stressed.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to iDont For This Useful Post:
yay! schedtool!
That is, IMO, definitely a necessary addition to kernel-bfs. isochrono (sp) scheduling is great for UI applications.

(purely subjective)

Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
What about the new wonder patch? Could u patch kernel-power please?

Last edited by epitaph; 2011-01-19 at 18:36.