Notices

I think the n900 has most apps that any user could want I can see from all the previous posts that some people want improved apps but I cant say that any of the current apps dont fulfil the jobs that have to. However there are a few app I would like to see in the future.

1) I would like to see a ringtone maker/editor, something really simple like a bar that lets you chose the start time and end time of any track and then either save it as a new tone or make the phone start ringing from that point of that track.

2) Another App I would like to see is gnutella client. I dont know if theres any open source client for this but I know there was one for the symbianOS. (i dont know what the forums view is on p2p but its just an idea)

Some cross platform online games would also be pretty sweet, e.g a pool game

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to paddyc1988 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Video Editor (correct hand-shaking, for instance)

Image/Icon Editor (pixel-by-pixel, with zoom for more exact pointing; with transparency support; would be useful for cases when you want to draw icon for hildon menu or Fennec extension)

Use of the front webcam for photographs and video

An extension or update for fapman so you can use it to install applications you already have in mydocs or the sd card

a geographic alarm: to sound when approaching a specific address/place

OVI maps as in S^3 devices (with voice guides and OVI sync) (note http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=66985 )

ringtone maker/editor

Open-source replacements of Panorama and FrontView Scanner.

Panorama doesn't like vertical movements of the camera, works only with horizontal, while I would like to use both horizontal and vertical movements in one photograph to make it both higher and wider than usual photograph.

FrontView Scanner allows to select only rectangles, not triangles, not pentagon, not hexagon. It sounds as absurd, but... What about scanning triangular post stamp? Or curved sheet of paper which can be represented as hexagon?

QWERTY keyboard, which supports both portrait and landscape, has Ctrl, Fn and Shift buttons. Supports all the layouts the default vk supports.

Originally Posted by stopgap View Post
A simple decent GUI compression utility to handle the common windows/unix (and maybe Mac) formats - at the very least just be able to open a ZIP file without having to go into a console window and type the command in! That'd do me!!
Filebox

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Just improve current apps. Faster, bug free, more features, polished UI. We have load of gps apps, note taking apps, timers etc. I just see row of things half done complete / right where part that is missing is on another app that is missing again other things.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Posts: 169 | Thanked: 56 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Italia
Just 1 thing: CONTACTS SYNCHRONIZATION OTHER THAN THAT CRAP OF MFE

possibly qt-based (kde friendly )

The Following User Says Thank You to cipper For This Useful Post:
CD/DVD/bluray emulator that is visible as real device when usb is plugged in. And on n900 would you just need to select ISO(or maybe other formats too) for emulation.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aligatro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
music/video app that has:

-album art donwloader
-enhanced equalizer (bass, treble, classic etc and customizable)
-individual folder scanning (play videos/mp3's from a target folder)

more to come.....

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gabby131 For This Useful Post:
It would be awesome to have some Game development kits for the N900

The Unity3d engine was mentioned earlier and would be great to see but personally I would like to see the Platinum Arts Sandbox engine Running on N900

This is a FREE and OPEN SOURCE, yet simple open world engine that can create some fairly impressive 3D graphics and could have the potential to for us to our own games. It has already had outings on the iPhone with Cube2 (the original sauerbraten game).

Here's the demo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g44Ww...layer_embedded

I have already suggested this here too

Last edited by MINKIN2; 2011-01-12 at 23:24.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
C'mon guys! Let's get 3G Video call first (to complete the 'phone' functionality and put a stop to all those threads).

Second, I'd vote for Ovi maps with turn-by-turn navigation (at least like the regular Ovi maps on Symbian).

Someone mentioned lightsaber...I think that sounds very interesting also

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:
1. Definitely PPTP VPN. I needed bandages for my thumbs after I had configured it using power kernel and a lot of scripting customizations (e.g. od doesnīt have the same parameters as GNU od ). It was a real pain to get it running although I learned a lot. I am still some sort of linux noob and havenīt figured out how to create my own user friendly packages.

2. Bluetooth HID configs and keymaps for most of the working BT keyboards. I got the Chinfai foldable one but neither does my N900 connect nor do I have a decent keymap. Diving into XFree keyboard specification gave me the creeps.

3. A full filesystem backup. I was raging mad when I had to reinstall all my applications after an upgrade to the last fremantle distribution. I would rather have restored my phone back to the previous state but I couldnīt!!! I donīt care about what is on my memory card. I care about the root filesystem.

4. All standard apps like e.g. PPTP VPN, decent BT HID and FSBackup available right from the start, included in distribution, right after you do a firmware upgrade, out of the box. When I bought my N900 I thought I was modifying a Debian Linux not writing it all myself from the scratch.

5. For the future: no so tight app certification. I dumped my N95 because I could hardly find (!) and install any application: certificate timeout. I want to play sudoku. I donīt want to spend days on finding out which signed package is still installable. I am pleased by messages that tell me about an untrusted origin of an application. I am enraged by requesters that tell me that I cannot install the application at all!

No more symbian syndrome, please!

6. Working MMS would be nice. I still didnīt dare to install the package that told me it could send and receive MMS "hopefully"
@all: does it work for you?

Please continue running sites like this one. When something doesnīt work the community helps. (Bandaged) thumbs up!

The Following User Says Thank You to deload For This Useful Post:
Hello,

I have a simple idea for a simple alarm, hope someone is up to the challenge.

Is it possible to make an application you activate on you main screen (Via widget for example), and after 5 second, or defined time, the alarm would go on if someone or something moves the phone ?

Its a rough idea with lots of room for improvement, for example:

- timer to set it of after a few seconds with password or predefined movements (this would be tough..)
- If the alarm goes off, take a picture from the front camera
- Option to simply shutdown the N900 if wrong code or movement
- Option to call for another predefined numeber, if code is wrong.

Whats your thoughts ?

Best regards

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to apcoelho For This Useful Post:

Tags
applications, coding, competition, ideas, nokia n900