Active Topics

Posts: 104 | Thanked: 46 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by uvatbc View Post
I'm interested. I'm a developer.
However: Google voice search has no public API.
There have been some people out there who have figured out that the way Android does it is to record the users speech in the speex codec, send it to the google voice servers which processes it and sends back results.

I have no knowledge of voice codecs, so when I looked at the speex library, it seems complicated because I don't understand most of the jargon.

Also: I've got an ulterior motive: If I do it, I will necessarily do it in QT so that it can be ported to Windows and Linux in addition to Symbian and Maemo.
Why Windows and Linux? Because I sorely need a voice recognition method to be able to be keyboard free - on Linux.
So can a recording app be used to record the speech in the similar codec as android and send it to google's servers? Also, porting it to windows seems like a very good idea

Last edited by anwar71839; 2011-01-13 at 08:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to anwar71839 For This Useful Post:
Guys, how much effort is it going to take to keep this thread alive? Majority not interested? Voice is an interesting feature by my opinion.

The Following User Says Thank You to anwar71839 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by anwar71839 View Post
Guys, how much effort is it going to take to keep this thread alive? Majority not interested? Voice is an interesting feature by my opinion.
The fact is, I don't like cloud. I prefer on-Maemo voice recognition. So I'm experimenting with voximp:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58099

It listens and recognises but I wouldn't say it's usable right now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
The fact is, I don't like cloud. I prefer on-Maemo voice recognition. So I'm experimenting with voximp:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=58099

It listens and recognises but I wouldn't say it's usable right now.
on-maemo voice recognition? Wont you need a large database for that?
I like the idea though. But making a app that uses google's server would be less time consuming.

Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by anwar71839 View Post
on-maemo voice recognition? Wont you need a large database for that?
I like the idea though. But making a app that uses google's server would be less time consuming.
Pocketsphinx is already here, and the acoustic database it uses is
http://maemo.org/packages/view/pocke...mm-en-hub4wsj/

Voximp already works, it starts Fennec at random (I have told it not to second-guess himself and to execute a command even when it isn't sure it heard it correctly; and one of the commands is opening www.google.com in Fennec).
The problem is, you can have only one window of Fennec open, and now I have to find a way to open a new tab in Fennec window through command-line.

The fact is, I don't get Internet through WiFi (I usually get it through wired LAN / USB cable), so cloud-based application on N900 is oxy-mo-ron for me.

Facepalm: It took me some time to guess what sort of cuss word begins with an oxy...
(Edit: I guess I took too much to type this message)

I don't use words which have to be replaced with *. At least, I think so.

For your specific case, I guess cloud based voice recog wouldn't be useful, but in my case or the OPs case, it would be quite useful.
There's also the Android envy that I keep suffering when I'm forced to use my wife's G2 to do any quick searches without having to flip, slide and type into a search box.
I will continue to research Fennec's command-line interface / file bug about it.

And I will also lookup in voximp how to call programs with arguments/open Google search for word pronounced.

So here's what I'd like to propose: If someone is willing to help me out with 1. using speex in QT and 2. reverse engineering Google voice search server requests, I'll start immediately
Good luck.

Originally Posted by jjamien900 View Post
im new to this can someone tell me how to make a thread need some help with something ??
Go to TMO
http://talk.maemo.org/index.php

Select a topic here; open it.

Above all the posts, at the left, you will see an orange button "New thread"

To create new thread in topic "Nokia N900", the link is
http://talk.maemo.org/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=44

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2011-01-14 at 05:33. Reason: Autocorrect: please, look up the word in the dictionary before replacing part of it with *

The Following User Says Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
oxy*****
Facepalm: It took me some time to guess what sort of cuss word begins with an oxy...
(Edit: I guess I took too much to type this message)

For your specific case, I guess cloud based voice recog wouldn't be useful, but in my case or the OPs case, it would be quite useful.
There's also the Android envy that I keep suffering when I'm forced to use my wife's G2 to do any quick searches without having to flip, slide and type into a search box.

So here's what I'd like to propose: If someone is willing to help me out with 1. using speex in QT and 2. reverse engineering Google voice search server requests, I'll start immediately
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 29 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ uk london
im new to this can someone tell me how to make a thread need some help with something ??

Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 979 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ SF Bay Area
Originally Posted by jjamien900 View Post
In normal viewing mode, you should see the hierarchy of this thread as "maemo.org > Talk > Talk > General > is there any app for voice search?"

Click on Talk. Choose the appropriate sub group for your question. Click it.

Read the sticky threads at the top for new users.
Learn to search for posted answers. If your question has not been answered, then click "New thread".
qgvnotify: Google voice and contacts notifier for diablo and maemo.

If you want to thank me, click the Thanks button.
If you'd like to thank my applications, vote to move them to extras.

The Following User Says Thank You to uvatbc For This Useful Post: