Active Topics

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
I'm against closed source and pretty much prefer an open source app with a donate button (also helps others contribute with code), but.. yeah, that's just me, see what others have to say

Don't make me rewrite this like I'm doing with Nokia's media player :P

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 401 | Thanked: 724 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
I'm against closed source and pretty much prefer an open source app with a donate button (also helps others contribute with code), but.. yeah, that's just me, see what others have to say

Don't make me rewrite this like I'm doing with Nokia's media player :P
me too, but from fastsms I collected very few donations...this is the problem

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to realsportcars For This Useful Post:
Posts: 458 | Thanked: 136 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Holland
Can't wait for this... please let us know when ready and downloadable...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Carlito For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
Donate / paid(ovi) don't care,

I'm really looking forward to this....

The Following User Says Thank You to Tiboric For This Useful Post:
Posts: 230 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Sweden
I think that more people are willing to donate to this project because a lot of people wants it.

I´m like Mohammad against closed source, but i´m using a phone with a lot of closed source applications so in this case that´s not the point, I think.

So, I agree with Mohammad.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to towhatend For This Useful Post:
I do not mind donating or paying for it but my main concern would be:
I am planning on keeping this device for atleast another year. And as we all know that we keep tinkering with it and end-up reflashing the device what would be from a year from now if I reflashed my device and want to redownload the item I paid for and is not available because you moved on and scrapped the project?

The Following User Says Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
The point is that I never said "closed source"

I can release the source to community after a bit.
"Ovi way" is because I think that a lot of N900 users doesn't know what "opensource" and "donate" means.

I think so because I know some popular applications that never received donations (or almost)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to realsportcars For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by somedude View Post
I do not mind donating or paying for it but my main concern would be:
I am planning on keeping this device for atleast another year. And as we all know that we keep tinkering with it and end-up reflashing the device what would be from a year from now if I reflashed my device and want to redownload the item I paid for and is not available because you moved on and scrapped the project?
I think to support fastsms (that will remain open and free) untill I can consider it a "closed project", with no bugs and with some new features I'm planning to develop. But I don't understand exactly what you mean...Why this "plugin" could be moved or scrapped from OVI?

The Following User Says Thank You to realsportcars For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by realsportcars View Post
The point is that I never said "closed source"

I can release the source to community after a bit.
"Ovi way" is because I think that a lot of N900 users doesn't know what "opensource" and "donate" means.

I think so because I know some popular applications that never received donations (or almost)
we absolutely value your time and effort you put into your home project which you want to capitalize on, but as you said that you are going to provide the code and also want to put on OVI for sale. I am kind of confused on how you can trust that your app is not going to get pirated? and keep in mind that almost 90% of N900 users are tech savvy and can easily compile an app with available source.
If you really want to capitalize on it I will just put it on OVI and hope for best.
(have you thought about the consequences that Nokia might hammer on you on OVI for changing their core keyboard with yours?)
Anyways, goodluck

Edit:
Not saying that it will be scraped from OVI but if there just happens to be a new official PR from Nokia and is not compatible with your package and then you are not around and working on it then your project is scrapped automatically.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to somedude For This Useful Post:
I very highly doubt you'll be able to get this into the Ovi Store.

Make it open source and donationware.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:

Tags
great keyboard!, portrait, portrait vkb, realsportcars, thank you, thanks wikiwide, _keyboards want, _to be free