Posts: 105 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Baltimore, USA
Check this out:
http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/24/n...ness-teased-b/
Nvidias Tegra 3 with be quadcore 1.5ghz!

Will Nokia go in that direction any time soon?!
Imagine a quadcore n900 successor!

Last edited by madmaze; 2011-01-24 at 17:21.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to madmaze For This Useful Post:
Posts: 255 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Finland
[QUOTE=madmaze;927485]Will Nokia go in that direction any time soon?![quote]

No. Tegra is simply too powerful for now for a mobile phone, and it consumes more power than for example a dual-core 1.2Ghz one from TI. In 2-5 years a Tegra might find its way in mobile phones, just not yet.

Imagine a quadcore n900 successor!
What would you use all that crunch for? I doubt you can find too many useful scenarios for such.

The Following User Says Thank You to WereCatf For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Baltimore, USA
I am sure there are plenty of things to do with a processor like that.

I understand that that this processor is more thought for tablet, but atleast dualcore would be nice, I believe its Motorola that already had a dualcore phone, though it is not a tegra

The Following User Says Thank You to madmaze For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by madmaze View Post
I am sure there are plenty of things to do with a processor like that.
Come up with some useful scenarions then?

I hope the Tegra 3 doesn't have errata in certain important registers like the Tegra 2 does

A dualcore would suffice for any phone right now. But I also don't think that a quad core Cortex A9 would be too power hungry. By dynamically disabling cores that aren't needed on low-level usage, it shouldn't use any more power than a single core. Enabling them on the other hand, when more CPU resources are needed, allows a task to complete faster and therefore sending the CPU into deep sleep much earlier - which as you may know uses no power on this architecture.

Besides the CPU wouldn't have to work at the maximum speed when distributing tasks on more cores, thus enabling the CPU to use less power when running multiple cores at low voltage and low clock, than running just 1 core with maximum clock and voltage.

But it's true that the maximum power consumption CAN be four times that of a single core, when all four cores run at maximum clock and voltage. That means that if you are watching a HD movie, playing Quake and compressing a .zip archive at the same time, it will drain the battery much faster. BUT you wouldn't be able to do all of this on a single core anyway and it won't happen to often that somebody uses his phone that way .

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
They can power on/off the processors on demand, can't they?

This way, quad cpu when tethered/docked and single/dual for mobile. As needed, or whatever. I'm sure they can make sellable features out of these. Not just a spec bump.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by WereCatf View Post
Come up with some useful scenarions then?
Elaborate AR system
Meda transcoding (DLNA, AirPlay types)
Apps with A/V cognitive features (OCR, etc)
Games
3D modeling
Video editing

(Most of the above already exist in some fashion on iOS & Android)

The key here is that these systems are on a "race to idle". The longer they're hung up on a process, the more subsystems are likely tied up and draining the power; not just the CPU.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-01-24 at 17:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
quad cpu when tethered/docked and single/dual for mobile
That would indeed sound a lot better idea, but preferably the device would just include HDMI-output and would enable "docked-mode" when it's plugged in to a suitable HDMI-device and a charger. I'd hate to have to use a vendor-specific dock every single time.

Though, I still can't really think of any useful scenarios for using all 4 cores except games. Perhaps development on-the-go, but even that would be a much better task to do on a normal desktop PC.

Posts: 395 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ India
Quad Core on mobile phone will be great.
First dual core processor then full HD video and now Quad cores are coming.2011 will be a remarkable year of mobile technology.

Web Advices
Tablet Phone X
Blogging Tips
Know IP Address

Last edited by plaban; 2011-01-24 at 18:02.