Notices

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
is anyone able to figure out how to launch Conversations in portrait?
So we done have to press CTRL + SHIFT + R ??

Be really great!
Download 'shortcutd', you can assign CTRL+SHIFT+R to something else. I have it so a long half-press of the camera button does that trick.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
yea I know that, but I mean implement it into a custom shortcut so I dont have to launch conversations then rotate............

The Following User Says Thank You to F2thaK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
is anyone able to figure out how to launch Conversations in portrait?
So we done have to press CTRL + SHIFT + R ??

Be really great!
erm... i use shortcutd in order to quickly shift it into portrait. i don't really use the prox sensor because it is too sensitive and just keeps toggling rotations every now and then.. so i use the camkey long press for it

The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Angel85 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 519 | Thanked: 123 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Malaysia
oh... noticed too.. i was just fiddling with apt-get for a moment,

i had the hardware keyboard up and using it... till i clicked on the function key, then clicked on the ctrl key for symbol... and the old symbol icons from the old virtual keyboard came up instead of from fastsms.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dark_Angel85 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 185 | Thanked: 49 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by realsportcars View Post
Thank you
Can you please give me the name of those apps? I don't use twitter so I really don't know...

EDIT: If someone else noticed problem like this, please report here with the name of apps (as reminder: problems with microB are well-knowed)
Twimgo, Tweego, Khweeteur, Facebrick

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zekahz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 401 | Thanked: 724 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Italy
Originally Posted by Dark_Angel85 View Post
oh... noticed too.. i was just fiddling with apt-get for a moment,

i had the hardware keyboard up and using it... till i clicked on the function key, then clicked on the ctrl key for symbol... and the old symbol icons from the old virtual keyboard came up instead of from fastsms.

This is ok...symbol kb (blue arrow + ctrl) is not replaced by fastsms...If I understood well...

@Zekahz
Thank you...I will try soon

Donate link

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to realsportcars For This Useful Post:
Would it be possible to swap the prev and next buttons on the alphanumerical keyboard, the t9 nokias all have it this way and its taking me a while to adjust lol.

Also when i add new words in the fastsms app i cant use them in the vkb

thanks for all your work

DONATE PEOPLE

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kylepsp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 234 | Thanked: 175 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Genova (Italy)
Donated! Keep up the really good work!

The Following User Says Thank You to MaddogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Quick note re: some post a page or so back: For me, X-Term enters text inconsistently (meaning, it always doesn't show text already there, but sometimes it enters the new text, sometimes it doesn't). That's probably why the above poster says it doesn't work at all. Because sometimes it takes a few tries, and I can't even see a completely coherent pattern for how/why it works/doesn't work in X-Terminal. Just sometimes it adds the text, sometimes it doesn't.

Now, more current replies/ideas:

I don't know about swapping buttons around, but it's certainly an option - however, I say if you're going to swap buttons, it's probably good to implement settings to configure whether those buttons are swapped at the end-user level.

Also, I'm not sure how hildon works, so maybe I have to request this at the Hildon level, but it would be great if you could keep the top left button visible/press-able when in the vkb. Meaning, the one that you use to 'back out' of a window and zoom out to the Task Switcher or whatever it's called. (The same one where the key to go to the app menu is, depending on what you have in the foreground/background.)

The reason I'm not sure if this is feasible is if you could leave a VKB instance open in one program/window, and navigate to another window with text boxes, I'm not sure if Hildon's input method and respective APIs are built to accept multiple VKBs at once. It's possible it simply can only remember one vkb instance at the same time, so opening a new vkb in another window would lose what the other one's trying to enter, or something like that. But if this vkb can pull off remembering multiple instances of itself open at once, that would be a significant strength in my opinion over the original (on top of the qwerty/alphanumeric + portrait/landscape superiority it already has) - being able to go from one window, to, say, quickly read some web page you're referencing (but don't want to copy-paste) without having to close the vkb, do the window switching, and then open the vkb again in the window you just closed it in, would be far more comfortable/fluent from a usability stand point.

Also, I just noticed another possibility for a couple extra buttons in the qwerty vkb, if you really have any you wish to add, and one I would recommend for the portrait:

The alpha-numeric/qwerty, Abc/abc/ABC, and smartwrite on-off selecting button, could be reserved for only one of the qwerty keyboard's buttons - meaning, right now you have shift and the number/symbol keys - the one that either capitalizes/shifts the letters/symbols visible, and the one that takes you to the numbers/symbols characters. Great so far. Now, during normal typing, does everyone really want to be able to switch between alphanumeric and qwerty, Abc/abc/ABC modes, etc, all the time? I'd presume not so often that it has to be on every one of the qwerty pages. So you could actually make the mode-switching button + shift key be something else, and mode-switching + 123 key be something else. POSSIBLY mode-switching + shift + 123 key, and maybe even work in the accent letters key for an extra couple of combinations for more keys. Don't know what you'd do with all of those, but the point is the option is there. (Also, I personally think you could swap space and enter keys - the space gets used more often than the enter key anyway, by the average user, but currently it's aligned slightly to the right, which means left/right-hand use is forced to be different - I'm ambidextrous, and use either hand for most tasks interchangeably, so I tend to notice this a bit more, and I know left-handed people are typically inconvenienced by such things anyway. But it's not a major issue, and I'd leave it low on your to-do list unless you agree and can change it in like 5 seconds.)

Now, my recommendation for alphanumeric - if this isn't already implemented in some way that I don't know about - is include the new-line (enter) character as the third character on the 0 key. That way you have space, 0, enter. Because right now I can't find an enter key in alpha-numeric, and that seems like a natural place to put it. Actually, you can probably arrange the key 'order' as space, enter, 0, (in case the order determines what key is used for a button when you switch the alphanumeric keyboard to just numbers). The only difficulty I see is with smart-type - but I suspect it should be possible to add a dictionary entry, that says that 2 (or whatever number you feel is appropriate, but 2 is probably fine) spaces is to be converted to a new-line character when in smart-type. That way smart-type auto-converts two spaces to an enter, non-smart-type has enter as the second character in the 0 key, so two quick 0s yield the enter key, and you don't have to lose any more space to new buttons.

Hope some of the above are useful.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
yea I know that, but I mean implement it into a custom shortcut so I dont have to launch conversations then rotate............
No, because the rotate doesn't work on the desktop

The Following User Says Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, portrait, wikkid