Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by wmarone View Post
Wouldn't that be a trip, if WebOS transitioned to a MeeGo base...
If HP licensed Web OS to Nokia and Nokia do Qt 4.7 for it now that would be something for media to get there head around lol

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
theres been more new positions opened and advertised to work at Nokia on MeeGo this month more than at any other time.
I think MeeGo is alive and kicking.
I think the comments he made are being over hyped, he could meant something like officially supporting Qt on other platforms to merge app ecosystems, Web OS already as Qt 4.6 so could mean working closer with HP for all we know.
Whatever it is i dont believe they will scrap a OS more likely to add one
A good thinking there about WebOS and QT Now THAT could be intresting as we now Jaaksi is inside HP already hehe. best would be if HP decided too go meego too. alot better idea than Nokia going WP7...

But I really hope we getting a damn answe 11 february so damn sick of the rumors and hyprs and whatever...

We'll see meego 1.2 for handsets, tablets, netbooks and in vehicle in april. I mean nokia and intel invest shitloads of money in it, I doubt they do it just for fun.

WP7 will have problems in a market where android, iOS and meego are all covering different mobile devices.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Call me a troll if you like, but I will jump into this conversation slightly off-topic, as I find the topic to be slightly off-beat. Nokia don't have a need for a new OS, what we need is new top devices from Nokia (ones that aren't stupid feature phones). A good range of decent devices with the same OS (or two OSes if you wish, bound by Qt).

I know nobody here pays attention to me when I rant about DEVICES, because many people here are developers and care more about software. But, this is putting the carriage in front of the horse. Hardware always comes first. N900 alone doesn't cut it.

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
Hardware always comes first.
Hardware with bad software won't sell, a lesson Nokia and every failed tablet maker has learned. The hardware will come, the question is if Nokia can deliver the end-user experience that will convince people to adopt.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ NYC
Hardware with bad software won't sell, a lesson Nokia and every failed tablet maker has learned...
I'm sick and tired of hearing this. Tablets became a mass product when the hardware advancement allowed for it. Many "failed" tablets were simply ahead of their time, trying to accomplish things that the hardware wasn't capable of pulling off. Moore's law in action, the question is when you decide to ride the wave -- pick the right moment, and you'll surf like a champion. A year too soon, a year too late, and you'll fall.

I am not saying software isn't important, I am just saying it comes after. Good software cannot make bad hardware look good. Good hardware can always get better software -- it's in the definition of software, for crying out loud!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sopwith For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
I'm trying to imagine what could happen if they would be able to port Qt to Android or Windows Mobile 7?
Simply to get a uniform development Environment... a new strategy.

I know. Not really possible. (Microsoft want to push .NET and Android is to secured and has a different concept)
Actually, Qt applications on Android have been possible for some time, and Gingerbread should make Qt work better than ever.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
Actually, Qt applications on Android have been possible for some time, and Gingerbread should make Qt work better than ever.
It may, but I didn't come here for Qt alone. Hell, I came here (and support MeeGo) because it isn't Android.

Originally Posted by Sopwith View Post
I'm sick and tired of hearing this. Tablets became a mass product when the hardware advancement allowed for it. Many "failed" tablets were simply ahead of their time, trying to accomplish things that the hardware wasn't capable of pulling off.
They were PCs that had Windows on them. Hardware wise they were pretty standard but had horrible interfaces (because Windows XP is a bad tablet UI.)

I am not saying software isn't important, I am just saying it comes after.
That's what Nokia said, then Apple put an excellent UI on an ARM6 processor and stole the market.

Good software cannot make bad hardware look good.
No, but so long as you don't overplay the hardware you'll probably be fine. Hardware defines your limits. Software defines everything else.

Last edited by wmarone; 2011-01-28 at 02:31.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Melbourne, Australia
It may, but I didn't come here for Qt alone. Hell, I came here (and support MeeGo) because it isn't Android.
I think the point is that if Android supports Qt, more developers will develop apps in it (Qt), as there are then more marketplaces to sell them in. This hopefully then means more apps for MeeGo.

At least in theory ...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to libro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ South Africa
Hardware defines your limits. Software defines everything else.
Great quote. Who said this?
Debian

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org