Unique Problem:
I have a unique problem with my N900 (With touch screen). I will describe my problem first and suggustion a solution if its doable !

.I have all the four desktop screens loaded with shortcuts & widgets.
.My friends & collegues many times takes my N900 from me for exploring the phone features
or I have to offer my phone to family; like If I am on a call with my mother & my mother wishes to speak to my wife or brother, I give my phone to them for talking to my mother.

.Many of them are not very familiar with Touch screen sensitivity.
. I have now developed slow touch movement and judgement how to use phone so it does not displaces/activates shortcuts while scrolling of screens; or activates desktop editing mode.
. Once desktop goes in editing mode or if accidentally shortcut gets activated; A new user (Non touch screen or Non N900 user) increases his effort to put things in order, which creates a big mess.

Only suggestion I could think of is:
- To make a shortcut & place it on desktop screen.
- Unless I touch & activate this particular shortcut, desktop screens would only SCROLL and Answer incoming calls. No matter whoever touches, wherever; or how fast or slow; long touch or multiple tappings etc.
- Only After activating that particular shortcut; Phone should go into full (Normal) usability mode.

Guys do you think it is doable?
I am not a programmer nor I can write scripts. I am just a plain user.
If its a doable. I would really appreciate your help in making such a shortcut

With kind regards and thanks,
Arvind

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Would probably require messing with Hildon Desktop and recoding the part of it that handles scrolling vs widget/shortcut clicks. I'm sure it's doable - I don't have the skills to make it happen.

Thanks for your fast reply MT. Atleast now I know, its a doable with some recoding. May be some one is able to help me. Thanks again

Originally Posted by arvind
Many thanks for the links NNNY for partial solution.
And you were right that I am bit scared to use xterm commands due to my total lack of knowledge about it.
However, i tried following:
I made a new QBW and selected 'hidden in SHOW button (to make it transparent).
I resized the Widget to 800 X 424 (max pixel size) and placed it to X value=0; So it covered the whole screen area.

Voila ! It gave me the protection of wrong handling and flexibility to scroll and answering incoming calls
Half work is been done. Rest half to remove that widget for enabling the
full (normal) usage of phone is bit tedious.
I had to long press and activate desktop editing mode and remove that widget manually and same process for putting that widget back on the screen.

Now; Is there a way to automate the process to remove or putting this widget back on screen by tapping few clicks or by other simpler way?

Arvind

Replied by NoNoNoYes!

Good job and good idea.
There is surely a way to handle things with your approach but needs coding scripts skills.
I can give some guidelines if someone would like to take the challange...
Here's the way to go to change QBW properties on the go: http://wiki.maemo.org/Queen_BeeCon_W..._QBW_over_DBUS
I can think of one QBW on each screen
Default icon, size and dimensions a small padlock somewhere on a screen corner.
On click it changes its and others' desktops size/dimensions/visibility to full screen and hidden. (problem here is that widget needs to be on top of every other widget on screen - and there is no easy way to achieve this programmatically)
This way all your desktops (but the menu area on top of screen) are protected against mis-tapping and you have the possibility to scroll and answer calls.
Hidden QBWs can then react to double/triple/N-ple clicks ($QBW_CLICKS_COUNT) and minimize to original padlock thus unlocking interaction with other widgets on screen.
Tweaking/monitoring with DBUS signals (http://wiki.maemo.org/Queen_BeeCon_W...nd_Interceptor) hooked to keyboard events or sleep mode events can enhance this functionality.
These QBWs could be of some help:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Queen_BeeCon_W...N.2FOFF_Button
http://wiki.maemo.org/Queen_BeeCon_W...ve_Dice_Roller
http://wiki.maemo.org/Queen_BeeCon_Widget#Poker_Dice
Of course you need to store QBWs hidden/visible statuses with $QBW_REMEMBER_ME and handle $QBW_EXEC_REASON for QBW_STARTUP_UPDATE, QBW_DBUS_MONITOR, QBW_CLICK ...
Last edited by No!No!No!Yes!; Yesterday at 11:28 PM.

This surely looks like a challenge for me !
Let me put down the involved work the way I have understood.

1. To have a QBW (hidden) on each screen.
2. Upon desired N-ple clicking, QBW would increase its size to cover the whole desktop screen, Right !
3. Upon desired N-ple clicking, QBW would reduce its size and becomes a small shortcut of prefixed size.

Am I right?

Regret all the coding scripting required for it as suggested / mentioned in your post, is way too much for me to handle.

I may be totally wrong, but is it not possible to write some script command in EDIT CMD in QBW to execute above 2 functions! (or linking above 2 functions in any programming way to have them execute above functions)

Arvind

Can some one help me on this issue?
Kind Regards,
Arvind