Notices

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
@xomm Here is the final description of the project

"Flaemo : Web based OS for Flash-enabled devices" , hope is good enough.
And if you don't mind to change the title of this thread I'll press thanks button as many times you like

@blipnl requests for beta account has been suspended. I've got around 50 ppl on the list interesting in testing closed beta. If you really want I'll send you this too. (just PM me)

But that is not going to happen before the end of this month. Reason why I posted about this was because I had to sent my N900 to repair. And this failure will probably delay beta release date . But just counting on your reports if you will notice that something really wrong is going on with current build. You can always reach private profile and every day I am adding new stuff and implementing new features.

After Closed Beta release I'm planing to add little application to send invitations to their friends. It will remains closed until reach some good quality level. But for now is kind of useless even for beta testers so..

Stay tuned, keep checking!

@poogash I wish some day you going to say "to my Flaemo desktop"

Last edited by devu; 2011-01-25 at 23:00.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 101 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Liverpool, England
@devu i hope so too mate looks quality

The Following User Says Thank You to poogash For This Useful Post:
Posts: 279 | Thanked: 231 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by devu View Post

It will remains closed until reach some good quality level. But for now is kind of useless even for beta testers so..
Admitting I am not that much of a techie or programmer, I guess I'll wait for a more stable release as quoted Like what I see so far, keep up the good work!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blipnl For This Useful Post:
Today's result is a crazy test. If you'll hit test sub-page There is 9 YouTube widgets (12kb each) playing some video. Use Desktop profile only for now even if on N900.

This little test uncovering smoke and mirrors game behind the multitasking hype. AS you might know a lot of companies these days are showing off multitasking as the must have feature. For most of users is just to ability to run multiple applications and visually see them as a prove.

From programing point of view, processor is just one. And sending instructions in serial mode. There is no way that you can make your OS multitasking. As well as you might know, Flash is for sure not multitasking technology...

So how on earth I'm able to play 9 videos in this same time!
As prove of concept just hold on desktop and chose dashboard mode to see all 9 desktops.

I wonder how it would perform on N900...

Last edited by devu; 2011-01-25 at 23:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to devu For This Useful Post:
the 9 desktops looks spot on on the n900, each desktop moves around with fluidity, i like the animation for the longpress

didnt work in portrait mode tho

The Following User Says Thank You to poogash For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by poogash View Post
the 9 desktops looks spot on on the n900, each desktop moves around with fluidity, i like the animation for the longpress

didnt work in portrait mode tho
Yes, and n900 needs special treatment since there is nothing triggering any event if Flash is in full screen mode. The only way around would be force rotation. However, it requires different treatment because custom cord system compare to flash 10.1 enabled devices that supporting full screen auto rotations.

Without access to device I can't do anything about it, and to be honest even if service will send me my n900 back, this feature is on low priority list. N900 is an exception here. I need to create special build for this device. Don't wont to keep all the exceptions in one core file because it will increase size of the file drastically.

Base on latest stats half of android devices already supporting 10.1, so... majority has a priority.

thats fair enough, makes sense to go with majority

btw my portrait comment was tongue in cheek

Little announce.

Due to back-end changes all the links are no longer valid except main domain name www.flaemo.com of course.

I'm on the process to implement communication model between flash front-end and back-end. That will open the doors to manipulate the data as well as first application to modify your profiles and skins.

The new convention is as follow

www.flaemo.com/?/myprofilename/more/parameters/

so the new testing environment will be

www.flaemo.com/?/dev

My bloody N900 still didn't came back to me from service, but I'm trying hard to launch closed beta at the end of Jan. Hope you are not going to be angry birds if I'll get a little delay

Stay Tuned!

Hello there.

Some people are keep asking me :
Why you doing this in Flash rather than HTML5. Mobile content suppose to be as small and efficient as possible!!!

Yes, I agree and that's why I am doing it in flash.
And I'll write it here to avoid further questions.

Lets take a google landing page under consideration.
On devices with full web experience you actually reaching the full version of it. And you are not really going to access any particular content yet but just searching for it.

If you using Firefox and have a firebug installed here is the result:

Right, you had to transfer 132kb of data just to access search engine!

Now, Flaemo Landing Page:

Right! 100kb when in fact 13kb has been reused from browser cache even if you cleared this cache before to get there. In practice you transferred 87Kb via network. Basically the way how flaemo is being designed is about efficiency at first place. Bud landing page is nothing exiting really, right?
So lets go further.

And here is something more sophisticated happening. what really happened on landing page. Flaemo read entire graphic user style and just reusing its parts. Going further if you have repeatable stuff on your desktop is going to reuse it from cache. In this case those 9 Google TVs and sticky notes.

Ending with final total 271kb where actually 120k has been retrieved from browser cache! In fact entire engine plus content with all RIA experience is about 150k!. Only 20k more than google landing page. There is even more to come. Partially internal flaemo cache system has been implemented for reusing graphic assets being already loaded. That mostly is for GUI elements. But can be done for widgets as well. It can also be done for requesters.

Let's say 3 buttons sending request for same elements at once. In fact there is nothing to reuse from cache because none of the elements finished loading it. But system can recognize the calls being made and store only references to the requesters. once when desired element is ready just inform them about this fact.

At the end, just for comparison:

facebook.com landing page 113kb what about rest of the content?

twetter.com landing page 305kb what about rest of the content

maemo.org landing page 461kb what about rest of the content

Hey! is not HTML5!

Yes, is not. To be able to represent current flaemo state in HTML5 (not even mention is not fully possible and consistence across the web browsers) I need around 1MB. Do you still thinking HTML5 is the future of the web for mobile devices?

I think for those who going to charge you for that it is.

So please, don't interrupt me at work by asking all this silly questions and let me back to work!

BTW, Flaemo is being build with molehill in mind and if new fully GPU accelerated flash player arrive I'll start to port it. It is being confirmed by flash player engineers this API can be also useful for 2D content and take full advantage of GPU. And this is why I was trolling about lack of flash 10+ support on N900. it will be huge disadvantage to don't have new flash player on your device whether you like it or not. It will be actually bigger than lack of HTML5 support.

Last edited by devu; 2011-01-27 at 11:58.

So.. I'm not gonna make it at the end of this month.

Due to my financial situation I had to start another contract started next Monday. My N900 didn't back from repair yet. (I've sent it 8th of Jan, voodafone customer service). I was trying hard, but to many difficulties lied on my way. Contract is about 2 moths long and hope I can find some power to continue after working hours to do something useful here.

Shame, I'm not so far from accomplish registration mechanism as well as 2 application to customize buttons and desktop graphic styles. Unfortunately without my device I can only guess how good is going to perform. That's not the best method for debugging anyway. For this reason portrait mode support was completely left behind.

I'll keep you informed about the progress.

The good news is that all the customizable data are already being pulled from Data Base witch is open way to make it custom for you.

Tags
change the name, flaemo, flash, flash! aaa-aahh, please!