Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
iOS or Android will be defeated!!!
Android outsells iOS already. iOS outsells Maemo. Symbian outsold them both.

I doubt there will be a combination of WebOS + MeeGo; however they do share similar hardware though.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

I doubt there will be a combination of WebOS + MeeGo; however they do share similar hardware though.
I agree. If it was going to happen, it would have happened already. I do think there's a chance they might have a closer look at Qt if it gains enough traction though, especially if it gains more traction than new WebOS devices.

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
More speculation to the Palm mix:

http://opensource.palm.com/2.0.0/index.html

http://repo.meego.com/MeeGo/builds/1.../repos/source/

What if WebOS went MeeGo-based? Awesome amount of shared components and challenges.

(This is my own private speculation and I'm honestly wondering why HP Palm -wouldn't- join MeeGo. Similar challenges, similar codebase, similar targets in terms of hardware)

I was thinking about the same thing. I don't think meego and webos cores are very different, and Palm can use their UI on top of meego. This way they can focus more on features , application store, user interface and just take the low end core, not to mention qt applications that will probably been build for nokia meego devices that will work on palm devices too. It's a win -win situation for both companies(Nokia and Palm/HP)

Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
My faith in Nokia and Meego is rekindled once more by this, even if it's still all speculation.

It shouldn't be THAT hard to be able to incorporate/hack/run Android apps and even the Android market on Meego?

Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Seriously folks. If everything is so bad in America, please stop going to their blogs. Only read your own. Or better yet, get your blogs to be as prominent as you think Engadget and Gizmodo are.
Well well well Read the other day about marketing and cars. I think the article/blog was from 2006 or something. The dude discussed the market share of different european cars in the USA. He came to the conclusion that since VW was declining rapidly in the US, it could only mean that VW soon would hit the wall in Europe due to lack of mind share and identity.

Such "analysis" as the one above surely is rediculous, and it is easy to see it, yeat the US analysis of the phone market is similar but worse. First of all, the US doesn't have a phone market. The market in the US is ruled by operators, treating customers as puppets, and for some odd reason, the customers simply abide. Second, the markets for phones are also very different within Europe, and Europe is very different from Asia and so on. Simply put, what is going on in the US has practically no effect elsewhere. Everyone knows this except americans by the looks of it. The rise of Android and Apple globally, is due to excellent global marketing by Apple and Google, and this include detailed understanding of the vareous markets, and the will to pursue these markets. Being based in the US, it is only natural they went for the home market first.

One has to speculate why there are so many US bloggers when there aren't even a real market for phones. Maybe that is the reason, I don't know, it is strange for sure.

But one thing is certain, reading any kind of US based analysis and prediction of the market for phones is simply laughable, and it is getting boring boring boring.

So, how will Nokia attack the US market? It is impossible, because there is no market. There is no market to enter, there is nothing to attack. The only way in, is to go to bed with some operator.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
This **** again?

American this, American that. Please point out to folks what should be source of this information? It takes an enterprising soul such as Maluka to combine this stuff... and it takes a completely daft person to believe each and everything any American blog says as the complete truth.

Bias is everywhere. Show me an European site of your choice - I don't even care what language you pick - that should be the unbiased place for all of this information.

I'm horribly sick and tired of this type of repeated banter. Ever thought of who might be the most responsible problem for your opinion? The company with the information not sharing any or the blog (don't say journalists, anybody with half a brain knows that it isn't true journalism) that spews forth sensationalistic misconceptions based on leaked or rumored information?

Seriously folks. If everything is so bad in America, please stop going to their blogs. Only read your own. Or better yet, get your blogs to be as prominent as you think Engadget and Gizmodo are.
Apologies for tarring every american with such a generalising brush...

but the opinion that Nokia is doomed, if not already dead and buried is largely from tech blogs and journos in the USA. Here are 2 from a 5 seconds google. Yes there are others, one vocal russian blogger in particular has turned on Nokia in recent months as well.
I do take them with a pinch of salt, but people I know do and have read them and commented to me about them.
I can't even be bothered to link anything from Gizmodo....

http://www.businessweek.com/blogs/europeinsight/archives/2009/09/is_nokia_already_dead_in_us_market.html

http://thenextweb.com/mobile/2010/07...us-go-android/

That's not to say I think Nokia is perfect. I think everyone here appreciates that Nokia has work to do, especially following the N900 experience, which is largely outside even the Ovi ecosystem, and poorly supported by Nokia compared to lowend symbian devices even.

For the record, I do tend to stick to mainly UK based blogs, especially regarding mobile tech. the phonesshow tends to be the choice for me, and always seems reasonably balanced.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
My faith in Nokia and Meego is rekindled once more by this, even if it's still all speculation.

It shouldn't be THAT hard to be able to incorporate/hack/run Android apps and even the Android market on Meego?
what android apps?? I have heard this zillions times before still no one says what apps in market is sooo important and can not already be ported to qtquick?

meego should not have dalvik it will just kill the infrastruce in meego and its not that simple to port dalvik. different platform different UI etc..

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 306 | Thanked: 350 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
what android apps?? I have heard this zillions times before still no one says what apps in market is sooo important and can not already be ported to qtquick?

meego should not have dalvik it will just kill the infrastruce in meego and its not that simple to port dalvik. different platform different UI etc..
I think it's enough to just look at games available in Android.

Do you own an Android device? Have you used one for more than a couple of hours?

I have an HTC Desire HD for only 3 weeks now and I would not go back to the N900, even if you could overclock it to 2GHz and install Meego on it with FULL support for life from Nokia.

Last edited by H3llb0und; 2011-01-31 at 02:22.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Originally Posted by automagic68 View Post
iOS or Android will be defeated!!!
Yes!! Let's exercise a little restraint and just pick one to beat!
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 35 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Orlando, FL
Originally Posted by H3llb0und View Post
I think it's enough to just look at games available in Android.

Do you own an Android device? Have you used one for more than a couple of hours?

I have an HTC Desire HD for only 3 weeks now and I would not go back to the N900, even if you could overclock it to 2GHz and install Meego on it with FULL support for life from Nokia.
I feel quite the opposite. I am posting this from my galaxy tab, and honestly I feel like the os should be switched. I would love to have Maemo on my tablet as I feel it is capable of more. Android is ok, but I am very much not impressed, and I would not have it on my next phone. I am not ready to give up my N900 without a better replacement.

Last edited by Medic7051; 2011-01-31 at 02:38. Reason: Finished my thought and added a sentence.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Medic7051 For This Useful Post:

Tags
not falling, the sky is, world-peace