Notices

Feature request: not sure if this is in there already (you do mention scraping amazon in a previous post)...being able to get "new" prices on Amazon and storing them with the barcode.

As mentioned in a different thread, I'm assisting in a move and want to help assemble an itemized list of items for international shipping insurance and customs. The replacement prices for these items are an important part of the insurance calculations. Being able to scrape "new" prices off Amazon and store them in the database would be awesome.

This would also be useful for peoples homeowners/renters insurance, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to eachna For This Useful Post:
I'm working with fiferboy (well he's doing most of the work atm as my N900 is still not back, soon though!) to make a C++ version of my planned and partly implemented ItemDB program (which is basically a database of items, with user-defined lists, lookups, link to mBarcode, etc., etc).

Sounds like it would be suitable, but I'm not sure of the status off the top of my head.

When do you need to use this?

The Following User Says Thank You to lardman For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by lardman View Post
I'm working with fiferboy (well he's doing most of the work atm as my N900 is still not back, soon though!) to make a C++ version of my planned and partly implemented ItemDB program (which is basically a database of items, with user-defined lists, lookups, link to mBarcode, etc., etc).

Sounds like it would be suitable, but I'm not sure of the status off the top of my head.

When do you need to use this?
*LOL*. I need something working within a few days as we want the inventory done in less than a week. Scanning 1000+ DVDs (plus the rest) is going to be a huge time suck.

Right, my new N900 has turned up, so I'll have a look back through the thread this evening and add patches, enhancements, and fix the Python plugin assuming that's still not working.

Right, my new N900 has turned up, so I'll have a look back through the thread this evening and add patches, enhancements, and fix the Python plugin assuming that's still not working.
Just to put things in one tidy list...my dream program would...

1) Allow me to scan multiple items in sequence. If possible, I'd like to see the 'results' of each scan although I don't need any sort of 'accept/reject' option. I'd just like to know if the copy of Uncharted that I scanned is showing up as a tub of fudge frosting. That way I could set the game aside into a pile to look up by hand. Even something as simple as allowing the scan and then the "title/name" of the product to flash up for a few seconds would be excellent. This may or may not be possible, I think you said there would be problems with 'real time' verification.

2) Send the barcode out to Amazon to scrape product details and replacement price for a "new" item. I don't know if the Amazon API returns this info, but if it's not sold new anymore, some way of noting it would be helpful. That way I could update the price on it by hand. If the product is not in amazon's database, that would also be helpful (a shrill beep tone or "No Name" message flashing up would be fine, anything that would be easiest). Again, I'm looking for some sort of notification to set that particular item in a pile to look up by hand.

3) Write barcode and product details to a .csv file. This way I could open it in a spreadsheet and import/export as needed.

Last edited by eachna; 2011-01-29 at 17:22.

Still working on getting the Python plugin up and running, will let you know once I've got it working.

Still working on getting the Python plugin up and running, will let you know once I've got it working.
Okay, thanks for working on this!

I pushed a new version of mBarcode and the Python plugin to extras-devel last night, please let me know if there are any problems and if not I'll push everything into -testing on the way to Extras proper

I'm running the latest extras-devel version with all plugins installed on PR1.3, and the plugin list is completely empty.

Is there something I need to do to get them to show up?
Should I file a bug report?

Last edited by oKtosiTe; 2011-02-02 at 14:06.

I pushed a new version of mBarcode and the Python plugin to extras-devel last night, please let me know if there are any problems and if not I'll push everything into -testing on the way to Extras proper
I installed the latest version and I'm picking through the thread, looking for a plugin I wanted....

While picking through the thread it occurs to me to post some features/plugins I run across to make it easier for you (Lardman) to update.

First, this plugin for installing plugins through apt (apturl):
http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...7&d=1275684398

Next, a mention that you want people to be able to email you "problematic" barcodes. I don't see a way to do this so I thought I'd throw it in here.

Next, Lardman's database plugin (Fixed):
http://talk.maemo.org/attachment.php...6&d=1289283843

Finally, is Lardman's database plugin working with this new version, it's not clear to me that it should be? I know mBarcode had to be fixed before it would work, but I don't know that fixing mBarcode was all that was needed for it to work. If it should be working, how do I load it? I see a way to edit plugins, but no way to import them.

I may have missed it in the 70+ pages of thread I've read. I'll be sure to provide updates ASAP. I'm very excited about this progress, I hope your (Lardman's) book-scanning is smooth on your side as well!

Tags
barcode, camera, mbarcode