Active Topics

Posts: 235 | Thanked: 163 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Costa Rica
Hi:

When reading another thread I've just found about apps like DJ Turntable and QuickHit.

Are those apps safe to install?

For example DJTurntable version is 1.1.0, so it does not seem a beta software, however, it has not been promoted to even extras-devel/extras-testing.

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I saw the same page. These are basically demonstrations of Qt/Qml on multiple platforms. I installed the QuickHit game and it seems harmless. Not a great game, I am sad to say, but worth checking out just to see that it works.

It is also a good demonstration of how to add separately installable levels to a game.

Not sure why they didn't put it in extras (other than the fact that uploading source code to extras for the first time from a Qt App requires a bit of a learning curve). But you can easily install by downloading the maemo deb files and going to command line and typing:

root (or gainroot or sudo gainroot, whatever you normally use to get root)
dpkg -i quickhit_v1_1_0_maemo.deb
dpkg -i levelone_v1_1_0_maemo.deb

I have had limited success clicking the files from the file manager and letting the system install them through the Application Manager, but you can try that route as well...if it fails like it did for me you can fall back on the command line route.

Also, I'd put headphones on before you start the game in public...it has lots of sounds.