Posts: 378 | Thanked: 206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by qole View Post
Just a reminder, tap-and-hold should work as a right-click in GDK+ (Gnome) apps ... but dosbox and others probably would benefit from a working right-click solution that uses a keyboard modifier. So I would like to see a working solution here, too...
Qole, this one works great:

"xdotool click 3"
m:0x80 + b:1 + release

putting that in xbindkeysrc after installing xdotool, works great. When holding down fn-key, tapping the screen is right click. works in dosbox aswell.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to mthmob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 915 | Thanked: 3,209 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by mthmob View Post
Qole, this one works great:

"xdotool click 3"
m:0x80 + b:1 + release

putting that in xbindkeysrc after installing xdotool, works great. When holding down fn-key, tapping the screen is right click. works in dosbox aswell.
Confirmed! Fn+Tap=right click.
VBox really seems to influence the result.

Here's another one:
Code:
#Shift+Tap=middle click
"xdotool click 2"
 m:0x1 + b:1 + release

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sulu For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 471 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Austria
The openoffice.org Debian packages have received a number of updates recently, mostly security related. In Easy Debian (v3e) I therefore did:
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install openoffice.org-core openoffice.org-draw openoffice.org-gtk openoffice.org-writer openoffice.org-impress openoffice.org-calc openoffice.org-math openoffice.org-style-crystal openoffice.org-style-galaxy openoffice.org-style-hicontrast openoffice.org-style-tango ttf-opensymbol
apt-get clean
which worked fine for me.

Because this upgrade needs sufficient space in /.debian/var/cache/apt, and since I have enough space in /home/user, I moved the cache out of the image like so (in Debian chroot):
Code:
cd /var/cache/apt
apt-get clean
cp -a archives /home/user/.easydebarchives
mv archives archives-
ln -s /home/user/.easydebarchives archives
(Here "archives-" is just a backup.)

Last edited by rebhana; 2011-02-01 at 22:55.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rebhana For This Useful Post:
Posts: 14 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Scotland
Firstly, apologies if this has already been covered. I did search but didn't find quite what I'm looking for. Also, thanks to qole and everyone else involved for bringing a proper GNU/Linux environment to the n900, it's a killer app for me.

I'm currently in the process of modifying the qmount and qumount scripts to allow the use of a chroot within an existing directory structure, as opposed to using an image file or partition. I'm not looking for help as such, I'm pretty sure I can make it work, although any advice will be gratefully received.

My question is this: has anyone already done this? It would be silly for me to duplicate existing work. If so can someone please provide a link? If not I'll post patches here when I'm done, but I don't have a lot of time to work on it right now so it may be a little while.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
klepto: I do not recommend putting your chroot in a directory. I have tried it and it has problems like the inability to kill chroot apps by closing the chroot.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Would it be possible with XdoTool to define mousebuttons at the bottom corners of the touchscreen and maybe a scrollbar on the side.
And then use the rest of the touchscreen to send "move mouse" commands to the mousepointer in the same direction as the finger moves? Hopefully with acceleration too?

Originally Posted by electroaudio View Post
Would it be possible with XdoTool to define mousebuttons at the bottom corners of the touchscreen and maybe a scrollbar on the side.
And then use the rest of the touchscreen to send "move mouse" commands to the mousepointer in the same direction as the finger moves? Hopefully with acceleration too?
You want an on-screen touchpad? In principle the button/movement part is possible with xdotool.
One would need another program to create the interface that grabs the mouse actions. Zenity could do the mouse buttons but I have no idea if it could do something like a touchpad.

It would have to be some transparent form covering the whole screen but then there is the problem how to tell the difference between a simple mouse movement and a a marking action. And one couldn't simply click on any elements on the desktop unless the mouse pointer is exactly above it. So the usual touch-screen feeling would get lost.
I don't think that it's feasible with a reasonable effort and to a reasonable level of usability.

What I think could be useful is some kind of d-pad. This could either be on-screen or on the hardware keyboard (switching between d-pad and normal keyboard via some modifier - much like the num-pad switching on laptop keyboards without dedicated num-pads). I think the latter option would be better.
Could we somehow use the camera button for that switch? I know there is a program in the Maemo repository that allows to customize the action that is performed when the camera button is pressed. But I haven't tried it so far.

Last edited by sulu; 2011-02-03 at 13:08.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
Confirmed! Fn+Tap=right click.
VBox really seems to influence the result.

Here's another one:
Code:
#Shift+Tap=middle click
"xdotool click 2"
 m:0x1 + b:1 + release
Just an observation

The

Fn+Tap=right click

works with no problem. I thought that

Shift+Tap=middle click

wasn't working until I realized I had to release the Shift in sync with the tap.
The Fn+Tap was not as sensitive to the timing.

Is this the general observation?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Shift+Tap=middle click

wasn't working until I realized I had to release the Shift in sync with the tap.
I can't confirm this. For me the "unix middle click insert" works immediately after the tap-release, without shift-release.

Can you please swap Fn and Shift in the xbindkeys commands, try again and report back if the release-behavior is related to the key or the emulated mouse button?

Edit:
Just for the record, I just tried to switch Num_Lock and Caps_Lock via xdotool. In principle (on my laptop) it works. The N900 seem to know these buttons too (I got no error message) but doesn't care for them. I added lxpanel's LED indicator to the panel, but it didn't change and I also couldn't see any changes in the keyboard behavior (e.g. capital letters).

Last edited by sulu; 2011-02-03 at 21:41.

Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
Originally Posted by sulu View Post
I can't confirm this. For me the "unix middle click insert" works immediately after the tap-release, without shift-release.

Can you please swap Fn and Shift in the xbindkeys commands, try again and report back if the release-behavior is related to the key or the emulated mouse button?

Hi, I tried your suggestion and whether I use the Fn or Shift key I need to release it in sync with tap to get the middle click to work. The right click works after the tap-release, using Fn or Shift. So it appears to be related to the emulated mouse button which seems rather peculiar... Anybody else confirm this?

Last edited by mscion; 2011-02-04 at 16:37.

Tags
beta, debian, easy debian, extras-devel, fremantle, i <3 qole, squeeze