Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
What a garbage article LMAO! And why WP7 and not Android? Article is pure troll, and Nokia has said they disagree. This is just made to generate pageviews to generate ad revenue. Nothing to see here, move along, and vote 1 star. Kthxbye.

Posts: 422 | Thanked: 320 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Israel
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, there seems to be some people - mainly from north-america (but not only from NA) - that seems to have an incentive in a form of revenues, to pile and post this sort of garbage rumors about Nokia on the internet...

The Following User Says Thank You to efekt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Nokia doesn't have loyalties. They're company and the openly admitted prime directive or any company is make money.

If they want W7, they get W7. I see no problem here. Not in implementation (hardware is pretty standard), not in conflict of interests (multiple OSs run now just fine, one more won't matter).

Don't know if it will happen or not, but I certainly see little problem. In fact, since Windows has little allegiance to one line of products (there's a truck full of stuff running Win), if anything it's more likely for Windows to become an option on many future products. IMO, that's what other OSs strive for, Meego and Android included.

Right now the strict associations hurt both manufacturers and developers. I can't think of an instance where having the option to switch from Linux to Windows would hurt sales.

There's a reason PC/laptops do so well. 90% of everything works with 99% of everything.

Frankly, I'm not entirely sure why N900 doesn't run a CE as an option already.

WRONG. Come on guys, face the facts. Nokia will never be forced to the point that they'll have to use Android or WM or any other OS, "UNLESS" theirs fail miserably to the point that they just fully give up and abandon it.

That's what happened to Sony Ericsson with their UIQ3. It died eventually and i was one of the last remaining users that stayed with the scene (i was a major contributor at that time with all the tweaks and hacks) and eventually it died and became open source to symbian. After that, Sony Ericsson started using Windows Mobile as their OS, like the xPeria series for example.

Nokia however, has never had one phone that uses a different OS other than their own proprietary Symbian and Maemo. So unless Symbian fully dies, or that Maemo fully dies OR that the upcoming Meego fully dies, Nokia won't simply switch to another mobile OS. There's just no point, and it's logical and makes sense.

Right now, Meego isn't even released. It'll be far too long to even dream of having WP7 on a Nokia device.

In fact, let's put it this way. If Nokia wanted to use a different OS on their device, even if just to try it out on at least "one" device, they would've done so years ago. Look at Maemo, it went through all those different versions & revisions, up to Maemo 5 now. Just so that Nokia now abandons it and switch to Meego, which is almost completely different. Nokia could've tried out Android on their devices, but they didn't.

Also, most people will have to agree with me on this. Nokia isn't what it used to be years ago. The company still thinks they can maintain the market like they did years ago, they're wrong. Look what's dominating on the market, now look back at them. They're stubborn, and would've changed and continue to become more innovative like they had, now it's hard to believe in them and no matter how many fanboys there r, u have to admit that people just lost faith in it and dropped out.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
Of course there are no technical difficulties, but just the question of why?
Because having the option helps, as posted. Because of adding another app base and developer base. Because some really good stuff only works on Windows. I already had this discussion in another thread. For example, iGo.

Er, just because MS wants to pollute everything with Windows, doesn't mean Nokia wants the same.
I see. I'm sorry, for a moment there I thought this was an actual discussion. There is little point in a dialogue with someone who considers competition to be pollution.

People who use Linux tends to know what they want, and most times it is not Windows.
I see. Well, then, I guess people not using Linux tend to not know what they want. Hey, let's throw an ad hominem in there, who'll notice?

Because it would probably require 2 times the hardware specs to achieve a similar performance as maemo (and probably 3 times the hardware specs to achieve a similar performance to Symbian). Never mind the crashes, lockups, resets.
I see.

I'll be sure to tell my 3D navigation system to stop being so darn reliable, I haven't rebooted in about two years, since purchase.

I'll also make sure to tell it to start stuttering the sound, because with a 400MHz ARM it is not allowed to run better than a 900 MHz Linux.

Oh, and, remind me to break the Bluetooth software so it stops supporting remote contacts.

Oh, and, enough of that sily correct maps, fast routing, favourites, POI and that damn annoyance of not sucking money out of my pocket every time I search.

What a horrendous choice. I can't imagine anyone wanting to run THAT.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
Because having the option helps, as posted ...
How did it help Sony Ericsson, Samsung? They sure didn't depend on their Win phones for their profits. Maybe the only company to have benefited from Win phones is HTC, and that's probably only because they receive "marketing funds" from MS.

I see. I'm sorry, for a moment there I thought this was an actual discussion. There is little point in a dialogue with someone who considers competition to be pollution.
What MS wants does not mean others would give is what I'm saying.

I see. Well, then, I guess people not using Linux tend to not know what they want. Hey, let's throw an ad hominem in there, who'll notice?
I don't know how you came up with such twisted logic, but if it makes you happy then fine by me

I'll be sure to tell my 3D navigation system to stop being so darn reliable, I haven't rebooted in about two years, since purchase.
Lucky you. My Asus 730W crashes up to several times a day. And rarely goes for more than 2-4 days without crashing.

Oh, and, enough of that sily correct maps, fast routing, favourites, POI and that damn annoyance of not sucking money out of my pocket every time I search.
These are apps issue and are not directly related to OS.

What a horrendous choice. I can't imagine anyone wanting to run THAT.
HTC, Samsung, Sony Ericsson all make Windows phones - don't know for how long though - so get one whilst you can

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Lucky you. My Asus 730W crashes up to several times a day. And rarely goes for more than 2-4 days without crashing.
I'm off topic here, but I want to help.

a) Get it fixed?

b) If you mean a730W, it's a 2003 system on a 2004 device. That was over 7 years ago. Is that what you base your Windows experience on?

You cast an error prone system as the inability of a giant corporation to write code? I see.

Anyway, let us try some logic.

* It was definitely not doing that when they sold it, otherwise it would have been returned and melted for scrap.

* The quality of code doesn't diminish with time. Hardware stability and performance does.

Add those together and it's pretty clear to me you have a hardware problem.

I have a LOOX 720 that comes with the same 2003SE Windows which a friend of mine uses as a navigation with BT GPS.

It has zero crashes when I handle it. When used as a navi, it heats up and, after a few temperature alarms, shuts down. The hardware was never meant to be used extensively for hours in the sun.

Not a software fault. So, bottom line is, get it fixed.

Oh, and, I hear there's a "new" flash image available, from 2005 or so?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Posts: 992 | Thanked: 738 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Low Earth Orbit
a) Get it fixed?
Donate it to "will it blend?"?.

b) If you mean a730W, it's a 2003 system on a 2004 device. That was over 7 years ago. Is that what you base your Windows experience on?

You cast an error prone system as the inability of a giant corporation to write code? I see.
What little faith I had in MS being able to produce decent products had all gone by around the Win3.1 era. Write code is not the same thing as write good code.

Anyway, let us try some logic.

* It was definitely not doing that when they sold it, otherwise it would have been returned and melted for scrap.
It was definitely doing anything when I bought it since it was still inside its box. And if defective products are melted for scrap and not sold then we would have whole heaps of molten MS install media all over the world and extra tonnes of toxic gases circulating the atmosphere.

* The quality of code doesn't diminish with time. Hardware stability and performance does.
Clearly MS missed that memo.

Add those together and it's pretty clear to me you have a hardware problem.
Probably the same hardware problem whereby a computer running Linux will do so happily for weeks on end, whereas the same computer running Windows will get a BSOD if you so much as sneeze too hard.

Not a software fault. So, bottom line is, get it fixed.
I have long stopped using it and got a Zaurus to replace it. And the best way to fix it would probably be this: http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/MyPal730

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Kuopio
Any news on Windows phone 7 and Nokia?
Computer world
Engadget

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
It's the kind of love that 2 girls and 1 cup would probably share.

Nokia would make a nice cup.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following User Says Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It's the kind of love that 2 girls and 1 cup would probably share.

Nokia would make a nice cup.
If they go WP7 then this plan has been long ago. Maybe thats why Jaaksi leaved the ship? who nows...

I havent followed the webOS progress but if Nokia goes WP7 meego is for sure doomed. I mean yes Intel is releasing a prototype meego handset but dont forget that Intel also releasing Android and WP7 so why bother with meego if nokia leaves...

So maybve its time take a look att this OS:

http://jaaksi.blogspot.com/2011/02/getting-ready.html

Maybe Jaaksi will open up the os a bit more....

Tags
just shoot me, masochistic