Active Topics

First up I would just like to say this is not a burn post, nor do I have any bad feelings about starting this thread.

The time has come for me to move on and I would just like to thank all of the kind folks in this community who have helped me out either directly or through their own self-directed hard work over the last year or so.

I have moved to a new area and a new job which requires that I have reliable nextG coverage and so sadly, I am moving on prematurely from my N900.

I had initially intended to keep my N900 for when I head back to the city etc but I think this would be both greedy and stupid as my new Xperia X10 mini pro does ALMOST everything the N900 does.

I am going to miss my high quality TV-out which I used quite often. I'm going to miss the sheer nerdy joy of hammering away at the terminal via my mobile phone. I am going to miss the amazing build quality and sturdy feel of this sexy beast and I am going to miss the now-respectable battery life.

I already miss having a stylus built-in and the little hinge at the back, but most of all I'm going to miss having 48GB of music, movies and storage with me wherever I go with an FM transmitter to put it to use!

I knew what I was getting into when I bought this phone. Initially it was more of a fun project than a feature rich user experience but eventually I managed to mould it to do whatever I needed...mostly.

I have battled away and eventually managed to get a SERIAL bluetooth keyboard to work, I have run android on a non-android phone and I have typed more lines in the terminal than I ever have on any of my linux boxes (maybe)...unfortunately neither of these things ever worked easily or even reliably well...but I managed to do them

I know it is a bit strange, but putting this baby up for sale I feel like I did when I sold my mazda RX-7 when I was 22, it is bittersweet but I know it will make someone else very happy as long as it goes to the right buyer.

Playing with my x10 mini pro for a week has really rubbed my few N900 complaints raw like fresh wounds.

Don't get me wrong, I will be eagerly watching nokia in the next 12 months to see how this meego lark works itself out...I absolutely love their hardware but wow have they made some serious mistakes in the last little while.

On my new phone, my email client works, with gmail, out of the box, with absolutely no ****ing around and it is FAST.

There is also a flawlessly working facebook client and a wide variety of alternative ones should I dislike the default....these are 2 extremely serious issues that I always had with my N900. How on earth Nokia released the phone to the public with such a demented email client is absolutely beyond me.

My new homescreen + launchers are infinitely customizable and within an hour looked nothing like the ugly stock interface...I even have a cube style transition between desktops much like compiz-beryl that runs fast and smooth.

Tethering works without any random problems popping up.
It took about 1.5 minutes to root the phone and another 5 minutes to install all of the .apk packages I had sitting ready to go.

I have a terminal but it is not much use for anything...

At the press of a button I can share my phone via wifi and drop content into the SDCARD folder like a boss, with no cables and no messing around.

There are THOUSANDS of applications and I have not come across one that did not work or randomly crashed yet.

On the downside though, the web browsing experience is pitiful, the build quality is nowhere near comparable with the N900 and the battery life is a bit ordinary. I no longer have a nugget feeling every time I get things to work...there is no challenge in it because it all just works almost straight out of the box.

Sure I had to root my phone...but we are literally talking about a 1 minute process straight from the market.

I am nowhere near as overjoyed with my new handset as I was with my N900 but it works a lot better as a daily-use phone.

I'm not really sure how to explain that except to say that the N900 has soul and it is a real shame about what happened, but we were kind of warned I guess.

So if any Australian readers are interested in purchasing the phone, send me a message. I will probably drop in here every so often.

In VGC, has had 3M screen protector whole time and mostly kept in a case.
Comes with 2 spare batteries + external charger + 3 spare stylus + GOLLA phone/wallet case and has Sygic McGuider installed with latest Australian maps. HP IPAQ keyboard negotiable.

Make an offer, so long guys it's been awesome.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to bandario For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
So long bandario, good luck hope you get on as well with your new device. and remember just have fun.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
sorry to hear you bought a sony phone, they are really being a bunch of ****s lately. hopefully nobody else reads that long advertisement you just wrote for them and buys an xperia!
there's no way it does "almost everything" the n900 does, but if you don't like the unique n900 apps, it's not doing you much good anyways.
hope your new job & phone works out though.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Your posts are quite credible, until you got to the part about how essential Facebook is to you. Facebook is a scourge. It's the 21st century version of the communist menace. Otherwise, good luck.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
I didn't intend to sing their praises, I'm sure the daily user experience would be quite similar with any qwerty android-based device, except that I would probably have better battery life and might have a chance of getting updated past 2.1...the phone was cheap and did nextG.

The only good thing about having a sony phone is that they make decent in-line remotes for their headphones and the cameras are pretty sweet. Their build quality is crap, they generally break just out of warranty and the ongoing software updates are on a when they feel like it basis....also no community support.

Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Commiserations about you getting a Sony phone. Sorry about that.

lol @ geneven - I agree to a point...it wastes a lot of time and makes people socially lazy but it is an extremely good phone book and communication tool.

really? you can script it to detect when you connect to your work wifi to change profile to work, stop checking mail, dial into a particular sip account and dial wifi down to 2mW THEN undo all this when you leave? you cant? well i guess android is still an os for nubs.

The Following User Says Thank You to vi_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 433 | Thanked: 312 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ U.K
wow this thread turned nasty fast.... bad geeks bad

The Following User Says Thank You to Tiboric For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 1,916 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Edmonton, AB
his long post gave me a headache. REVENGE!
seriously though, everyone is entitled to their opinion. it's hard to read something the opposite of what you believe and not start arguing.
any minute now, someone is going to come along and say how awesome sony and android are, and how bad nokia sucks, so it's all good.

Tags
long and boring