Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Could we see devices with these from Nokia in 2010? Which one would be the first to sport these? I mean, the mobile computers or notebooks?
From what I read its a fully binary compatible 'low end' Cortex A8/A9. On a netbook you want the 'high end' ARM; ie. Cortex A8/A9.

That it is binary compatible is very useful for having it part of your product line if you already have Cortex A8/A9 products. Porting will then be easier, and it will be easier to manage different firmware versions.

So we will see it in use rather in mobile (smart)phones since its successor of ARM926EJ-S and ARM11 which are widely used on mobile (smart)phones. Just think of succesor of N97 being N98 with Cortex A5. Although my source says 'the first devices shipping with Cortex A5 will ship probably in 2011' I don't see this backed up with arguments. It would not surprise me a successor of N97 would sport a Cortex A5, and come out say 2nd part of 2010 (N97 not having Cortex A? was one reason I not bought it). Or, such successor would use Cortex A8/A9 like N900, with the next device in the hierarchy having Cortex A5. In any case, this will replace the mid-range eventually. So succesors of devices like E-Series and N-Series will contain these eventually.

So, in short, I'd say: high-end products get A8/A9, mid-range A5. Low-range runs S40 (in Nokia's case) on cheapest stuff avail; is totally different OS so not matter to S60's E-Series and N-Series. Before that maybe the high-end products get A5 and rest stays as-is, but maybe transition to whole Cortex line is easier to manage, skipping interim path. Then you could say 2011 makes sense.

...but I don't know... not an expert in this regard... not an analyst rather thinking out loud rather..

The Following User Says Thank You to allnameswereout For This Useful Post:
Posts: 170 | Thanked: 261 times | Joined on Feb 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
According to the [URL="http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/10/arm-fills-out-cpu-lineup-with-cortex-a5.ars"]
Nokia's Maemo 5+ may be cool, but Android is being pushed by a growing number of manufacturers.
I am not convinced that the Android transition from phone to netbook is going well. I think Moblin also has a chance in that market, as does even Mer. I don't think that OEM's have decided on an OS yet really, and Android is getting some bad reviews as it scales up.

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Well I didn't/wouldn't advocate abandoning the N9xx "convergence" efforts, but instead creating synergistic (uh), affordable and ideally multi-user add-on (companion device) to the mainstream Nokia phones to attract people to choose the Maemo platform instead of dumping Nokia phones in droves and moving totally to Apple's closed garden.

Any option that takes wind from iApple's' sails and breathes life into Maemo should be considered, and seriously.

Cortex A5-based WIFI/BT/USB (with GPRS/3G+ options) connected tablet-devices could be great especially in developing countries (the majority of world's population and where Nokia still remains top dog for now) with localized and slimmed down Mer/Maemo.

Being multi-user the device could be used by families (from living rooms to car trips...) or other small communities which desire internet connectivity but don't yet have US$500 to blow on a single single-user phone-tablet but would buy a sub-$200 tablet as companion to their sub-$100 phones. My wife likes to carry her slim and light Nokia phone everywhere, but occasionally she wanted to bring the (now-defunct) tablet along. A slimmer and slightly more powerful tablet with longer battery life would be perfect for her, and me too. Esp. if the Maemo/Mer apps keep maturing and the proprietary ones get an occasional update every year or three.

Back in the early days of Mac OS, M$ didn't take over the PC market because their bean counters were telling them to target the high-end only due to higher margins...
now i got reminded of the simputer that some company in india made...

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by tso View Post
http://www.simputer.org/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by tso View Post
So (mobile companion) tablets are a no-starter because of the 2002 vintage Simputer effort? Oh goodie...

Don't worry though, Nokia seems very unlikely to pursue this idea further and from Maemo's point of view the Cortex A5 belongs in the category of uninteresting low-end Maemo competitors (incl. Symbian phones).

Personally I hope that some other firm(s) would do a better N8x0 using some open OS rather than wince.

Related news: http://www.anandtech.com/show/4153/t...cortex-a15-soc

OMAP5 with dual Arm Cortex 15 cores with each core running at 2GHz and 2MB L2 Cache. It's a 28nm SoC btw!

TI says this will go to production in 2nd half of 2011 and into devices by 2nd half of 2012.

Day-by-day, the mobile power is growing enormous and so are the possibilities they provide. Convergence is the key.

Oh my MeeGo, where are you?

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
heh, that thing is a beast. Not only two A15 cores, but also two M4, a powervr sgx544, c64x dsp, iva-hd video accelerator, a TI made 2D graphics core and a image signal processor. 9 "cores" in total.

Posts: 1,918 | Thanked: 3,118 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ My pants
ARM Cortex A15=Raw Power, seriously, no other processor can outrun the big "A"

Last edited by ammyt; 2011-02-08 at 10:30.

Absolutely, that things is a beast! It probably would do everything that we can imagine now.
However, my other wish still remains! Video line-in and dual-sim. Bring it on Nokia!

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Please change the Title of the thread.

You're missleading by "Cortex-A5 Multicores"

Tags
arm, cortex, cortex-a5, multi-core, multicore, yeah so?