Notices

Originally Posted by x-lette View Post
Regarding the profiles I believe that there are better solutions. But other options tweakr offers are:
[*]snap icons to grid
This can be done by simply editing a single config file. (Edit /usr/share/hildon-desktop/transitions.ini, look for snap_grid_size and set it to anything higher (snapping is at 4 by default)

The other two things can probably also be done in similar ways or there are other tools. On this:

but why should I replace one app by two or three or even more?
It's part of the linux philosophy. Have one program do one thing and have it do it right. ProfilesX has a much nicer implementation, which is the reason why Alarmed can easily use it. Actually, alarmed isn't even aware of ProfilesX because it integrates smoothly into Maemo. With tweakr, people who don't use english cannot switch profiles which is a pretty bad bug imho.

Well if you want to stick with tweakr, just don't upgrade alarmed. To make the updater ignore alarmed updates by default, you should be able to just do

Code:
echo “alarmed hold” | dpkg --set-selections
as root from a terminal. To unhold it at any future time, do

Code:
echo “alarmed unhold” | dpkg --set-selections
  • "ytcli", a simple but effective command line youtube client which allows you to play videos from the CLI instantly or download videos on a queue.

Regarding the profiles I believe that there are better solutions. But other options tweakr offers are:
  • snap icons to grid
  • remapping of short-, long- and double press of power key
  • disabling of unlocking device when camera lens gets opened
I don't want to miss one of them. Maybe there are other apps offering similar functionality but why should I replace one app by two or three or even more? tweakr still works for me so I currently don't see a reason to change it.
ah ok you are all right, I didn't consider that function because I use these programs only for profiles function.

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by shapeshifter View Post
This can be done by simply editing a single config file. (Edit /usr/share/hildon-desktop/transitions.ini, look for snap_grid_size and set it to anything higher (snapping is at 4 by default)

The other two things can probably also be done in similar ways or there are other tools.
Editing some system file by myself isn't exactly what I want. Even if it could be done easily it's not quite comfortable on the N900.

It's part of the linux philosophy. Have one program do one thing and have it do it right.
That's only half the truth. It's right that un*x philosophy propagates this kind of kiss-approach. But tweakr is another kind of app. It's not offering functionality by it's own (despite changing profiles which indeed is a functionality) but offering some easy to use gui for tweaking some system configurations. A kind of a better editor.

ProfilesX has a much nicer implementation, which is the reason why Alarmed can easily use it. Actually, alarmed isn't even aware of ProfilesX because it integrates smoothly into Maemo. With tweakr, people who don't use english cannot switch profiles which is a pretty bad bug imho.
Well, that's a good point. I didn't follow that language dependent part of changing profiles deeply as it's working perfectly for me.

I'll have a look around for some other apps which could satisfy my needs and will then follow to profilesx and newer version of alarmed. I just can't stand being stuck on an older version ...

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
why did u remove support for tweakr? cant alarmed support both tweakr and profilesX? PPPPPPLEEEAASSE?

Posts: 650 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Oct 2008 @ Ghent, Belgium

The other two things can probably also be done in similar ways or there are other tools.
Yes, that would be like me saying that all the stuff ProfilesX can do can also be done on a commandline.

Get real, please.

Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
  • snap icons to grid
Theme Customizer
Install, tweak, uninstall.

Camera launcher or something like that allows for more options, including, iirc, what camera app to launch.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following User Says Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 327 | Thanked: 249 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Λεμεσιανός, ρε!
I am not able to select any profiles created with ProfilesX. I have uninstalled & reinstalled Alarmed a few times, nothing. Version 0.2.0.2. Any ideas?

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 165 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Berlin, Germany
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
  • snap icons to grid
Theme Customizer
You're absolutely right. Just forgot that theme customizer meanwhile also supports that feature.

Install, tweak, uninstall.

Camera launcher or something like that allows for more options, including, iirc, what camera app to launch.
The three-step isn't my way of configuring things. But I'll have a closer look at camera launcher. Maybe it also satisfies my needs.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 6 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Adelaide, Australia
I've had an update for Alarmed appear for the last few days but when I try to install it it tells me it cannot due to conflicting something or rather.

When I click more details the status is "update available but not installable".

Any ideas?

The pyside-* packages in the repo are obsolete and very old. If ever you need PySide packages, make sure you install the python-pyside.* packages!
I did apt-get install python-pyside which removed the old pyside-* packages automatically