maybe the haters are mising all the "fart" apps

The Following User Says Thank You to TimusEravan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
@joseph: you'll have to try it to see its merits?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I'm the type to get sick of gadgets fast and move on to the next best thing. I'm amazed that I'm still using my N900 since the preorder purchase back in 2009! To me, that just proves how amazing the N900 + Maemo5 really is. I just wish Nokia gave it some more love for their arguably the best platform ever which they just decided to scrap! Meego better be good.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
The networks and the owners of the majority of websites are the main culprits for the mess that the mobile internet is in.
Simply because of their lack of investment and forward progress.
I use the full web version of Facebook when in a 3 - 3.5G or WiFi scenario and I get along relatively well. It's absolutely useless under 2 - 2.5G, as is all other web browsing unless I go through the antiquated WAP protocol, then I'm stuck with a half baked version with pinhead sized images.

Facebook is always being messed about with by it's developers. They now have a stupid, crappy black border around all the images when you view a gallery. Even if the image is only 1" x 1" this black border will take up half the screen on my 19" monitor. As for the N900, it completely wrecks the display.
This is simply because mobile manufacturers/O/S developers won't take Nokia's lead and incorporate full capability web browsing on mobile devices.
If they were to do this it would give the networks a kick in the *** and make them spend some of their vast profits to upgrade their infrastructure.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
@joseph: you'll have to try it to see its merits?
I used something on Blackberry and it wasn't really that fun. It operated on tabs style. I just preferred the browser method, or like Steve Jobs puts it, to see the whole web page right in front of you.

Posts: 61 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
First of all I dont want to start an argument either i'm just commenting on from MY perspective.

I have noticed that many people who dislike the N900 was because of the "lack of apps" - now I can understand if they were only downloading from the Ovi Store (which I think we all can agree is a joke - it should be renamed to the Ovi Pum and Pop Store). But if you enable repos like maemo.org, -testing, -dev then there's more than enough Apps to choose from.
As you stated above the 'store' is a joke, while this should be one of the main-priorities of the phone.
You can do so much with the N900 but without the 'know-how' you can do so little.

On my N900 for games I have; Angry Birds, Asphalt5, Jurassic Coaster 3D, Descent, DRIVER, SNES Emulator, Duke Nukem 3D, Giant Fighting Robots, Hexen 2, NES emulator, Jagged Alliance, Kroll, N64 Emulator, Need for Speed, Numpty Physics, Oregon Trail, PS2 Emulator (EDIT: Meant to saw PS1), Doom, Quake 2, Quake 3, Lamar Research Flight Simulators, Starcraft, Warcraft II, TuxRace, Wallenstein 3D (I left out the boring ones like chess)
I do agree that there ARE a lot of 'apps' for the N900, but the way how to install these 'apps' are just plain annoying, hard and difficult if you're a user like me who doesn't have the knowledge, time and maybe interest in learning the ways of using the terminal or other code stuff it becomes a big task to do something simple if you compare this to the other OS systems.

When making a product, website or anything with users you normally make usability requirements for different aspects of the user experience.
For each of the five dimensions of usability (the 5Es), you think about how it is reflected in requirements for each of the user-group. The 5Es are:

Effective:
How completely and accurately the work or experience is completed or goals reached
Efficient:
How quickly this work can be completed
Engaging:
How well the interface draws the user into the interaction and how pleasant and satisfying it is to use
Error Tolerant:
How well the product prevents errors and can help the user recover from mistakes that do occur
Easy to Learn:
How well the product supports both the initial orientation and continued learning throughout the complete lifetime of use

Based on these Es there are some missing links if I look from the user-group i'm in.
This doesn't mean the N900 is bad at all, Its just not the right phone for some people(like me).

Thats why I think some people are disappointed with the phone thus hating it for not being the phone they want it to be and to be stuck for it for 1 or 2 years.

For me on the other hands its sort of and love/hate relationship. In somethings its just better then for example an iPhone where you have to buy an app for every single action you want to do.
But as stated above on an iPhone you can easily get a new app without the hassle of going into terminal and tossing codes around.

Taking all this into consideration its just about what you want from a phone and how you want it.
In the end the user is always the one to make a phone good or not.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to gilamonyet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by turbowei View Post
How old are you???

We don't even have working facebook app. And don't tell me that it is quite common to use the web browser to go to facebook.
I've never felt the need to use an app for facebook on my n900...

That time when facebook started redirecting microB to m.facebook.com made me realise what a load of **** 'mobile' facebook is...

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
I used something on Blackberry and it wasn't really that fun. It operated on tabs style. I just preferred the browser method, or like Steve Jobs puts it, to see the whole web page right in front of you.
That's not the same.

And unfortunately I've found most people here have very rigid viewpoints that they only try new things only to look for its deficiencies, looking to reaffirm their 'beliefs'.... not actually to experience new things and judge it on its own merit.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 411 | Thanked: 195 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Cambridge, UK
There's better and worse, and then there's familiarity, for me, for now, familiarity wins...

Originally Posted by Tedri Mark View Post
There's better and worse, and then there's familiarity, for me, for now, familiarity wins...
Hm that's not the same.

Most of these 'cases' I've seen don't even bother to find out if things are 'better or worse' to bolster their knowledge at all. Ideally the good things are brought in while the bad things become lessons learned at other's cost.

And worse, I've been seeing people spew out FUDS on things they're not even familiar at all; and these FUDS are taken as facts by others with the same 'belief' and they just reaffirms each others' beliefs through these fictional reports.

I think we can draw parallels against psychology within cults or other closed societies if these behaviors are enforced and left uncorrected.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:

Tags
blah blah blah, blah the end, criticismhearit, flamebait, popcorn time, quit happens, still blah blah, stop it, trollfest