Active Topics

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Please name few innovations that happened in US before any other market out there?
How about .... cellular mobile network itself?

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Knowing how good Maemo5 and the N900 are, it is more than a little baffling at the past treatment by Nokia. Plenty of people will immediately carp on about how it was an experiment, a hobbyist's device, etc. Bit difficult to really believe that or be comfortable with that when you've paid so much for it. And it's not as if it was released by some make-believe company like MaemoNokPhones Inc. It was NOKIA for F's sake!!

The Following User Says Thank You to AndyNokia232 For This Useful Post:
If the comemnts made by "Tomi" a few pages back in the thread are correct how can this memo be released by Elop with so many errors apparently made? Odd there is still no word one way or the other from Nokia if the meo is genuine or whether it has been altered since it was initially produced as alleged by some Nokia employees?

I always felt the N900 was an amazing device but it seems meamo/meego has now become an amazing worldwide storey and at present it is the most read storey on the BBC website!!

As far as Alein D being the saviour of Nokia the one problem there is they need a meego phone to run it and if what Elop is saying is true then that now seems unlikely, at least in the short term.

I think we are back to where we started in this thread and it is now a choice between either an Android or WP7 OS on future Nokia's, and having bet against one possible future OS and failing, with meego, I can only see Nokia going down the Android route now. With perhaps meego/Alien D for the future?

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Utah, America
Please name few innovations that happened in US before any other market out there?
smartphones, radio, cell phones, internet

Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
We invented the atomic bomb. Now stop saying things that make us angry.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,103 | Thanked: 368 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ india, indore
what will be future of meego now?????

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by nicholes View Post
what will be future of meego now?????
Elop is still going to stick with Meego for the high-end phones, but they are going to integrate Alien Dalvik so they can leverage all the Android apps while keeping their own platform. Or they are going to ditch it and go with Android or maybe Windows Phone 7.

Wait, why are you asking asking us? No-one here knows, it is all rumour and speculation in these threads. You'll just have to wait for an official announcement which could well happen this weekend.

The Following User Says Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I'm going to call B.S. on the letter. Not to say it wasn't interesting (though the oil platform story was just horrible writing) but it just isn't plausible. It is probably not a "hoax," but someone's in the USA's attempt at writing a what-would-Elop-write letter that got passed around and the provenance was lost.

Nokia's biggest competition is Samsung. Whether using Android or Meego or Bada or WP7 or Symbian, the biggest smartphone problem Nokia has is not outselling Apple, but continuing to outsell Samsung. They have at least a year, possibly even two, before Samsung can possibly catch up with them in market share, and they are currently profitable. They have plenty of breathing room and are not on a sinking ship or burning platform.

I don't see any reason why Nokia would adopt WP7--either from this supposed Elop letter or in the real world. I can see the seductive lure of Android, but I suspect that long before they created an android phone they would develop a free Qt or QML implementation on Android and WP7 and then would spend tons of money getting some big-name developers to start using it. That would leverage their existing investments, would not require them to retool their entire production and support infrastructure to handle a new OS, and would build on their currently profitable business lines.

If they do decide to start working in the US again, expect to see E7 and the C-series phones start displacing blackberries and cheaper phones-with-facebook.

Originally Posted by nathaneous View Post
Until this day i'll never know why they just tested the waters with the Maemo OS (and evidently the N900) instead of putting all their efforts into it, and marketing it as their successor to Symbian for the 'High-end Smartphone market'.
I suspect the dinosaurs higher up in the executive stack kept stalling and impinging things until Intel came along and the Maemo group jumped at it. The execs couldn't say no and suddenly the team behind Maemo had a way out that would give them the leverage necessary to lighten their load (having someone else help manage things on the lower level) and free up resources to improve the user experience.

Many of us like the Maemo OS, i'm sure if it was properly supported, marketed and nurtured from the begining then Nokia may have had a winning platform...
Absolutely.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to wmarone For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by NvyUs View Post
This is apparently the full Memo from Elop that as been doing its rounds inside NOKIA
if its real its not looking good for MeeGo IMHO
lets hope it BS

http://www.irelandstechnologyblog.com/

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/08/n...honest-burnin/

If its R.I.P MeeGo from Nokia side I'm going back to low end feature phones

every damn user of maemo that likes this åplatform should send a letter to Elop!

Dont dish Meego even if maemo5 has some drawbacks it CAN succes!! Elop has some good points but important is now to get the damn symbian people inside nokia to realise this facts!!! CHANGE PLATFORM AND HELP THE NEW PEOPLE BEHIND MEEGO TOO SUCCESS INSTEAD OF GO BACKWARD WITH SYMBIAN CAUSE ITS A DEAD HORSE!!!

Qt platform and Meego will success if the good old symbian engineers inside nokia switches they are needed on the phone/camera/powermanagment/bt stack etc...

going wp7/symbian is just stupid and stop inventions/new ideas thats were meego is needed!!! so for god sake Elop dont kil meego

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2011-02-09 at 19:00.

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org