Active Topics

Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by Turkishflavor View Post
I guess the N900 will be the LAST completly OPEN phone! too bad!

windows 'effing sh**' phone is so damn close, there is NO mutli-tasking, you are forced to use this crappy ZUNE SOFTWARE, omg, what is nokia thinking?
Like the most stupid stockholder is my guess MONEY.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
So, in reality what this means is:

MS get Nokia's (currently) established reputation in the handset market to push their smartphone OS on a broad scope of devices
MS get NAVTEQ on the cheap which will allow them to at least attempt to catch-up on the embedded systems market (eg. Audi recently Google adopted for their 3rd gen MMI)

Nokia gets ...

Um. What does Nokia get? A chance to sell some IMSIs in the US maybe? A chance to return to simply being a manufacturer?

Ah - Nokia unhook the Ovi millstone from their neck and the costs of maintaining Symbian and all their other expensive experiments.

It's pretty obvious now that this was on the cards a long time ago ; even possible the appointment of Elop was a means to start the transition.

Frankly I couldn't give a flying toss for Nokia other than admiration I had for their fringe pursuits such as the Linux implementation of their internet tablet and the fact that their old S40 handsets were absolute gold when it came to doing what mobile phones are supposed to do.

What does this mean for sponsored / financially supported ventures such as Meego Handset or indeed the ailing Maemo, not to mention the integration of Qt (the chat about MS providing tools to develop product seems to can Qt for me)? Abuse aside, Maemo still benefits from hosting services from Nokia etc - if they were to turn over all source to public domain, that would be interesting, but witness the hoovering up of Symbian - surely a requirement of the merger (did I say merger ... coughs).

We need a clear response regarding the future of Qt, Maemo services and Meego Handset ; I can see Meego itself being returned to Intel - the desktop version is refined enough to go it alone and isn't heavily reliant on the developed Qt framework.

F***ing depressed now. What a waste of time and effort. Apologies for the language.

Last edited by gregoranderson; 2011-02-11 at 08:16.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 61 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Netherlands
Oke..

Wondering where this may end..

The Following User Says Thank You to gilamonyet For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by Turkishflavor View Post
I guess the N900 will be the LAST completly OPEN phone! too bad!

windows 'effing sh**' phone is so damn close, there is NO mutli-tasking, you are forced to use this crappy ZUNE SOFTWARE, omg, what is nokia thinking?
Better reason NOT to sell your N900 !!!.

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Oh you gotta be motherf**king kidding me!!! Zen of a b|tch! D**damnit! Great testicles of Thor!

Oukeydoukey, now that I'm over that, how does one crakz da NokindowsSeven phone so I can put WebOS on it?

Oh, did I mention, son of a b|tch!

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
Two losers unites, lol.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kenga For This Useful Post:
The most promising thing to happen the mobile industry was just killed. This was a public suicide by Nokia, they will never grow to dominate the market with optimal services now..

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tmsha For This Useful Post:
Time to buy up all N900's there are....

/Z

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to MasterZap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ mother earth
you ruined my day

EDIT:

Nokia: Symbian and MeeGo not dead, still shipping this year

I am just gonna leave this here
http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/n...ing-this-year/

Last edited by yamakasi; 2011-02-11 at 08:43.

Originally Posted by mikecomputing View Post
Like the most stupid stockholder is my guess MONEY.
Why do you think it was a bank manager that told Elop to drop MeeGo and Symbian together?

TBH, I'm relieved things didn't go the other way. Nokia jumping into bed with Google. I couldn't live with all the ads if Google get their way.

Tags
elop ur a pain, meego sucks