I have been using Nokia phones from s40 to s60 to Maemo for last 11 years.

Blame its past success?

Set aside management and platform's technicality. Nokia's user-friendly text-centric UI (10 years ago) used to be the key to win customers. Unforunately, it's also the same reason for its faliure (poor graphical touch UI).

Although what's happening is predicted and understandable, I am still a bit emotional.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mkleung For This Useful Post:
Posts: 397 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
I hear you, I have been a Nokia user since Nokia 232, this is truly sad news.

Posts: 80 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Long Island, New York
likewise...i have 12 years under my belt and im a little confused as to how to respond. where do i go now?

Lover of Music, Technology & Travel
If I'm not logged in, I'm probably jetsetting to a city near you...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Swimm12984 View Post
likewise...i have 12 years under my belt and im a little confused as to how to respond. where do i go now?
How about Egypt?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I want video of these overly dramatic statements.

LEAVE BALLMER ALOOOONE!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
mooooore tearz

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
Posts: 80 | Thanked: 37 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Long Island, New York
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
How about Egypt?
[sarcasm]hilarious....your should do stand up....seriously[/sarcasm]

Lover of Music, Technology & Travel
If I'm not logged in, I'm probably jetsetting to a city near you...

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Swimm12984 View Post
[sarcasm]hilarious....your should do stand up....seriously[/sarcasm]
Well, the way I look at it, that's a place where people are fighting for democracy and self-determination right now. Sure, even if they win they may decline into a new totalitarianism. But at least they have a shot at something better.

We, on the other hand -- my hopeful theory is that a new batch of companies will arise out of nowhere that deserve our support. I don't want to be gobbled up by the corporate amoebas.

Posts: 601 | Thanked: 549 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Redditch, UK
I read these threads and smile inwardly. It makes me laugh that people can get so emotional over an operating system.

Lets face it; Linux will NEVER be the operating system for the masses as long as it is run through terminal commands. It's nice, for those of use tech-savvy enough to be able to operate within that environment, but you put my better half in from of a terminal and she would melt into a gelatinous lump of I-haven't-got-the-faintest-idea-what-to-do-with-this. Turn Linux into an open-source GUI based OS where you can do whatever you want WITHOUT having to crack open a terminal and there's potential for it to become the global OS of choice.

Windows, on the other hand, is an intuitive, global, GUI based OS that everyone knows a modicum about.

It makes sense, sound business sense, albeit an offence to Linux fans, that Nokia and MS partner to deliver consumer friendly GUI based smartphone(s).

Sorry to rock the boat, but we all knew this was gonna happen eventually. I mean, come on. Be real.

Originally Posted by Switch_ View Post
I read these threads and smile inwardly. It makes me laugh that people can get so emotional over an operating system.

Lets face it; Linux will NEVER be the operating system for the masses as long as it is run through terminal commands. It's nice, for those of use tech-savvy enough to be able to operate within that environment, but you put my better half in from of a terminal and she would melt into a gelatinous lump of I-haven't-got-the-faintest-idea-what-to-do-with-this. Turn Linux into an open-source GUI based OS where you can do whatever you want WITHOUT having to crack open a terminal and there's potential for it to become the global OS of choice.

Windows, on the other hand, is an intuitive, global, GUI based OS that everyone knows a modicum about.

It makes sense, sound business sense, albeit an offence to Linux fans, that Nokia and MS partner to deliver consumer friendly GUI based smartphone(s).

Sorry to rock the boat, but we all knew this was gonna happen eventually. I mean, come on. Be real.
Get a better other half then.