Active Topics

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by canabal View Post
I have loved my n900 and will continue to love it, as a backup device, but I am buying a nexus S tomorrow.
I certainly hope you dont sell your N900 !!!.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
I certainly hope you dont sell your N900 !!!.
I do have a buyer, so I may do so, not sure yet.

I still love the device, but it will never be able to compete with the big boys any more if meego is dead (which it pretty much is). I will move to a winning platform that will not die in 6 months.

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Could you kindly elaborate on your absolute guarantee that Nokia will bounce back!!?? Like, in what kind of disguise might that be??
It was a clear and specific question aimed at abill_uk... Should I be surprised that s/he complete sidestepped answering it and only showered us with more of the same "richest-BILLG can't be wrong!" drivel?

Look hon, you should really spend more time chastising (or policing tar and feathers style) long-term Maemo community members on their NOK stock or the very latest Nokia device ownership status.

Your chippy MS-nokia cheerleadership really reminds of the old days of yahoo stock pump-n-dump characters combined with the best of myspace.

I'll now let you have the next few hundred posts today without reply. Have a nice day.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ London
As a long term linux desktop user, it was the N900 that captured my attention when it came to replacing my Sony Ericsson handset. Yes, I finally bought my first Nokia device.

I've loved every minute of looking forward to the next PR updates and the utterly mental speculation threads on here, running EasyDebian, fooling with the Android port, attempting and failing to get NITbuntu running, installing and removing endless applications (some good, some not so good, some pointless) and periodically reflashing my device.

I like to be different and when it came to putting my phone on the bar, my N900 made sure that people asked me about it and when I explained it, they thought it was cool.
There's a guy I work with who also likes to be different, but when he pulled out his Windows powered HTC HD7, people actually laughed.
Almost all of them had iPhones and Android devices. There were a few Blackberrys and there was one guy with a Palm Pre, but nobody said anything about that.
These aren't tech-savvy people. They like to be part of the in-crowd, the cool set, and Windows Mobile just isn't cool. Face it, MS, nobody wants it.

I was hoping that a Meego powered N9 would appear and the fun would continue, but it appears that this will not happen now. MS will NOT, despite any assurances Nokia may make, allow this to happen.

I have money to spend and it was earmarked for an N9. But I still have my N900 and will consider investing in another unless I decide to order an OpenPandora console.

I could speculate that falling stock prices will enable MS to buy out Nokia and it wouldn't surprise me if it happened. But even without that happening, it is surely the end of my short-term relationship with Nokia.

Shame.

The Following User Says Thank You to barrieluv For This Useful Post:
for the people claiming that the partnership has no implications for meego: think again!

he clearly stated that meego will be an experiment. sounds familiar? another experiment like maemo where there is no 100% love and dedication = also no developers creating apps.

wow. poor company, led by baboons.

The Following User Says Thank You to Raubtier For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
It was a clear and specific question aimed at abill_uk... Should I be surprised that s/he complete sidestepped answering it and only showered us with more of the same "richest-BILLG can't be wrong!" drivel?

Look hon, you should really spend more time chastising (or policing tar and feathers style) long-term Maemo community members on their NOK stock or the very latest Nokia device ownership status.

Your chippy MS-nokia cheerleadership really reminds of the old days of yahoo stock pump-n-dump characters combined with the best of myspace.

I'll now let you have the next few hundred posts today without reply. Have a nice day.
You very obviously do not know me so i will forgive your naiveness and explain once again, Bill Gates is no where a friend or ever will be as i put him in the same doggy basket as the Rupert Murdoch's of this world, i am a realist and can also see you dislike mocrosoft and your entitled to that too i might add cos i would join you on that score.

This is about getting the N900 fully fuctional in some way or form and as Nokia screwed me and many many others i am certainly no fan of thiers either.

Simple equation.... Microsoft + Nokia intergration can only mean one thing and that is success, if it does not on the other hand then Gates will ditch Nokia like a stone to save his own back.

This has been a very well thought out gamble by Nokia as it has got some serious problems in the design dept of software, if you do not like or agree with my assumptions then so be it but do NOT think your high and mighty because you are a long standing member ok because if you talk crap i will tell you you talk crap but in this case you dont know me and i forgive you for your somewhat naivety and repsect your comments... is that ok dear?.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-02-11 at 12:51.

So Torres left. Good going, Flop.

Nice chart this, does not even bother to reflect Meego on it:

http://forum2.mobile-review.com/show...&postcount=870

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Viipottaja For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
In life if you want to get somewhere you get involved with someone going up the ladder not down, so now look at Microsoft and as much as people hate them they certainly never dwain !.
I preface this by saying as previously that I love MS on the desktop. But in what way do you perceive Microsoft as a company that's 'going up the ladder'?

Balmer looks like he's on the way out this year.
Windows 7 is a well finished product so I'm not sure what appetite there will be for Windows 8.
Ditto MS Office products - why go from 2007 to 2010 let alone anything beyond that?
WP7 is a turkey currently - I've seen more N900s in people's hands than WP7s - what does that tell you?
The stock price is currently 10% lower than it was entering 2010 (compared with Apple's gain of 68% and Google's gain a modest + 2% but at least in the right direction)

The only thing they have that's going well at the moment is the xbox and Kinnect.

If that's a company on the up to you then no wonder you're so upbeat about Nokia's future.

Posts: 26 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Arctic Circle / Finland
This is really sad news for me. I've been nokia customer from my first phone about 13 years ago. I had n800 and n810, back then i said that if they just do device wich is little smaller and with phone functions, it would be my dream device and then came n900 and never haven't regretted of buying it. Maybe i'll just have to buy cpl more n900 just in case. N900 does allmost everything i want from my mobile device. Todays news crushed my dreams of more powerfull Meego device from Nokia, i just hope that atleast some manufacturer makes meego phone.

In reality wizbowes i am living in the hope that Nokia pull out all the strings and do something worthwhile for our N900.

I am also a hater of the way Nokia have treated me and others and i live in hope... no way a fanboy of Nokia or Microsoft but i have to say this... both companies have made me a hell of a lot of money with their bloomers and faults so as long as that carries on then i will be happy ha.

NB do you see Microsoft in the trouble area Nokia is? that is my point.

Last edited by abill_uk; 2011-02-11 at 12:58.

Tags
elop ur a pain, meego sucks