Active Topics

Originally Posted by johnel View Post
Android is Google tech tht happens to use the linux kernel and that's it.

All the other stuff you expect from Linux distros and GPL/GNU/Open-source software just does not exist on android.

As a result porting existing linux-based software is impossible without the other supporting bits like the glibc libraries and the xorg libraries.

However, a chroot version of ubuntu is in the pipline for android - similar to easy debian which will give you more options.
(This is the bit I'm waiting for when I get a new device. Also bluetooth keyboards and mice or not supported in android)
exactly why i didn't jump on the Android bandwagon and bought my N900. there is just no decent alternative out there........i'm fearing the worst - that a hacker's phone will become a thing of the past as consumerism takes over and people are reduced to lemmings who use locked down phones like the iPhone.

The Following User Says Thank You to droll For This Useful Post:
Looks like all those angry PR1.3 people were right to be so. Nokia have yet again dropped the ball.

It's clear that Nokia have been given a large sack of cash to go Microsoft, by doing so Nokia has now lost even more customers. Seems Mr Elop doesn't actually understand how business work (TIP: Make customers happy not angry)

In a way I am glad I bought my N900, it's the best phone I have ever owned and in years to come I will be able to tell people "I used to own a N900, the best phone Nokia ever made" too bad I will then have to go on about how bad the support was and then tell them how Nokia went straight down the tubes thereafter.

The Following User Says Thank You to Spotfist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
Originally Posted by Rauha View Post
Nokia is only 1,7% of finnish national GDP, even less of Europe.
It is not about the current share of the GDP. It is about R&D. It is about the future of Europe as a technological powerhouse:

http://iri.jrc.ec.europa.eu/research...0/vol_II_1.pdf

See those €5,000 million invested by Nokia on R&D in 2010? They will be gone now. I wonder what Neelie Kroes is thinking today.

Last edited by kevloral; 2011-02-11 at 13:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to kevloral For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by mjakl View Post
Well, official support in quite unimportant. N900 has almost none and is still best phone on the market with best applications. Maybe i missed some other phone, but as far as I know N900 is only phone, where I can create vpn connection to server, run ssh with xwindows tunnel and run any GUI application on the server.
... all of which your average user on the street, which has the $$$, gives a **** about...

official support unimportant ? so how are you going to modify the closed source parts of the OS ? or get access to services or content that is proprietary ?

get a grip, its this mentality like this that has driven Nokia into a ditch - its like you guys live on another planet or something...

The Following User Says Thank You to Frappacino For This Useful Post:
I've decided that I'm CEO material.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Yay I get to keep my N900 for a few more years now without having to worry about "Upgrading". Im staying put until this sorts itself out somewhere along the way.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 134 | Thanked: 247 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Spain, EU
NYSE is open now. Nokia shares falling nearly 9%:

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=NOK

Posts: 1,400 | Thanked: 3,751 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Arctic cold of northern .fi
Originally Posted by daperl View Post
I've decided that I'm CEO material.
We all are.

Even abill_uk.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rauha For This Useful Post:
People dont seem to realise that smartphones are no longer aimed at you or I. they are aimed at the throwaway I have a fart app generation who will be convinced to buy the nokia windows phone purely because it comes with an exclusive rhianna music video.

We are a dying breed with little voice out there and that is why I doubt we will see any response in regards to opening up closed source parts of the n900 or future updates. But I would love to be proved wrong. If google/web os were smart they would take advantage of this disgruntlement and release an official port of there os for the n900 and others and try to get a few of us using their "ecosystem" as well as a little press.

The Following User Says Thank You to cferrism For This Useful Post:
what will i buy next? Android probably.

i would still prefer to have a Meego device but after today's symphony of unmitigated cretinism i simply don't trust Nokia to execute it competently.

Meego no longer a platform = stupid stupid idea!
No QT on nokia Win7 phones = stupid stupid idea!

how does nokia manage to be this incompetent?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org