From a business standpoint, what choice did they really have?

- continue with Symbian. With the rate of market share loss it it would be single digits marketshare in 4 years
- focus on Meego. Chances are, the team on meego are the same team on Maemo. The team did not have the experience/prosessionalism to produce a finished/polished produce for mass market.
- If Meego failed (unpolished produce, 3rd party devs not adopting it) the company would be in dire dire trouble because of Symbian adoption rates
- go with Android, Google would probably not provide any special support.. treating them the same as motorola,HTC etc

If the Maemo team had taken the effort to produce a polished N900, i think the decision to go full bore with Meego would have been a no brainer.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bugelrex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Baltimore, USA
Originally Posted by ceaboust View Post

MeeGo R&D cut by a lot.
MeeGo will be turned into an "experimental" OS (just like maemo was...)
My favorite aspect of this is how symbian completely disappears and how much the entire budget gets slashed

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Symbian needed to go sooner or later.

I just wonder who's more hated. Muburak or Elop right now.

I predict a riot.

Originally Posted by twodice View Post
I actually like the idea of nokia and ms. Nokia still make the best hardware for me.Their build quality is great too

Lets not forget samsung take ages to release updates - e.g all the galaxy range ( and yes i own a tab and a galaxy s)

sony ericsson - look at the x10 and others, no 2.2 for them at all and no xda devs port so far.

lg - piss poor in general.

htc are ok but still make hardware which is questionable in terms of durability - screen issues and the old htc tytn 2/ nearly all htc phones video driver problem for which i have not forgiven them ( i owned a tytn2).

the only other option is th eiphone and ill be lloking closely at the iphone 5 but id rather a nokia build with wp7. ultimatley we all more or less started with win mo anyway so its just continuing the trend.

theres no need for anyone to abandon ship unless you think for some reason the grass is greener on the other side.

still happy with my n900.
Hey don't get me wrong - I still think Android needs some serious work. Mainly in the form of Google stepping up and putting in some mandatory compatibility requirements from phone version to version. But its the best of a bad bunch now. Personally I will be running my N900 into the ground before I go for another phone.

Guess the community supported patches etc are looking pretty damn good now eh
Agro ... : |*****-----] Relic(s) : G1, N900

Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

I predict a riot.
Does Windows have to go? Does Symbian have to go? Why would the most popular OS have to go, UI? Simplest thing to fix, it's just spoilers on the car, under the hood Symbian is a Veyron SS. Elop canned it as soon as he became CEO, however he did release dead devices with a sinister laugh.

Posts: 490 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hannover-Germany-EU-Earth
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post

I predict a riot.
today its elop

The Following User Says Thank You to Brock For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by madmaze View Post
My favorite aspect of this is how symbian completely disappears and how much the entire budget gets slashed
Elop gonna get raped by all satisfied Symbian users. There is a lot.

The Following User Says Thank You to patlak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Bratag View Post
Guess the community supported patches etc are looking pretty damn good now eh
Isnt TMO still funded by Nokia at the moment ? If not who provides the funding to run TMO ?

If no TMO repo how are community supported patches going to be managed ?

Maybe Elop tenure won't be that long
http://www.google.com/finance?client=ob&q=NYSE:NOK

The Following User Says Thank You to ivlok For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ceaboust View Post

MeeGo R&D cut by a lot.
MeeGo will be turned into an "experimental" OS (just like maemo was...)

This sucks.
I'll ignore nokia for a couple years, probably won't visit this forum anymore (whats the point? lol)
I've started developing my android app and I've installed android on my old phone thanks to the XDA devel guys.
Good times.
Why so much in WP7 R&D? Isn't that Microsoft's job? I wonder where them moneyz will go...

Tags
elop ur a pain, meego sucks