Active Topics

Posts: 191 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Croatia

Posts: 14 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Scotland
This news makes me very sad. Most people here seem sad too, but bear in mind that this community isn't exactly representative of the market in general. The slashdot crowd seem sad also. What's really interesting is the slump in the share price, that's not an indicator that involves fonboyism or zealotry in the same way.

I will _never_ use anything from Microsoft, I've been a computer guy for whe whole of the PC era and have seen how they are a marketing-led outfit with little regard for producing quality products when it doesn't impact their bottom line. Their buisiness practices are questionable at best and have often been proven to be illegal. They have a long history of destroying their buisiness partners.

People here should understand that now both Maemo and Meego cannot be allowed to succeed by this new unholy alliance. Imagine how embarresing it would be if their new super-whizz phone couldn't do half the things the aging n900 can do with it's old hardware and poorly supported, supposedly inferior, operating system. I would be very wary of any future updates, expect a few spanners in the works. Normally this would be paranoia, but where Microsoft is involved paranoia is usually the best policy.

In the topsy-turvy world of buisiness law and ethics all that matters is producing returns for the shareholders. If it was the case that Nokia shareholders were mostly tech-savvy people then there may be some legal recourse to remove Elop and reverse this decision, but I can't see that happening. IANAL.

Someone here said recently that what Nokia should do is build a top-class set of tools and applications on top of Debian or some other established distro. I wish I could remember who said that so I could give them the kudos they deserve. That's obviously not going to happen now, but I propose that this community does all it can to gain access to the required firmware, tools and application source code so in conjunction with the wider open source community we, the people, can build a truly open firmware that can be all that Maemo should have been and MeeGo could have been.

One other point directed at those unenlightened people who suggest that popularity is a measure of quaity, two words: Justin Beiber :P

Last edited by klepto; 2011-02-11 at 17:07.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to klepto For This Useful Post:
Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
After 10 years of developing in the Microsoft Ecosystem, my N900 finally taught me the right way: a full move back to Linux, 1.5 years ago.

When it comes to development, build-environments and flexibility of Maemo; I don't see how anything could come close with this new partnership.

What I fear most is the dissolving/fracturing of this community (TMO) that I respect and feel an accepted member of for some time now. I'm on here for at least 45mins a day. EVERY Day. Learning and eagerly waiting for what comes next. I expected this, as we all were, and feared it.

I'm a bit sick to my stomach, I've been working on the Calling All Innovators-10m Qt contest for some time now, Is that also dissolved? Are WE supposed to write everything in C# or VB.freaking.Net again, in Mono or VS under wine? I've moved on.

Code:
svn ci hopes.* -m "sad face"
make clean
But now that it's here, and we've all spent countless hours learning the ins and outs of Qt (which I truly love) applicable for both ecosystems. Knowing that it was to be the programming environment moving forward... What a let down. What a horrible let down.

I know one thing though, I'll keep my N900 in a special place once it dies, to remember. 2010: the year I discovered software Freedom was possible.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to lostinmirkwood For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by klepto View Post
One other point directed at those unenlightened people who suggest that popularity is a measure of quaity, two words: Justin Beiber :P
quality is irrelevant from a business POV - and Justin definitely brings in the $$$

Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by Frappacino View Post
... Dude you are on a forum filled with FOSS advocates.

Hardly representative of the general population, who wouldnt even know what FOSS IS.

I will not be surprised if some general consumers saw it as a good move as it seems to them Nokia is doing SOMETHING new rather then just mucking along.
Definitely, a _good_move_away_ from Nokia (-13.79% at time of speaking)

How come you can shoot your own foot multiple times without feeling any pain?

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by slender View Post
Hmm. You have just underestimated this news value. This news is going to be here in Finland on EVERY SINGLE PAPERs first page tomorrow and probably on coming weeks. There will be thousands of ex Nokian sw-devels quite soon on job market :|

And for N900. I don´t know. If you have read any posts here especially threads where qgil explains why making stuff open source is not free I would guess that nothing changes. Things go on as they have. We as hobbyist keep on fooling around with our little toys etc. Meego will be released.

Only thing what I´m worried alot is Qt.
I hate to say this but QT will only exsist as a hobbiest dream that will not gain momentum now the sky is full of Microsoft merger with Nokia.

I had a strong feeling this is the biggest news probably ever to come out from Nokia but alas what will come of it will take a while to see yet.

What i am also wondering is what direction can this forum take with Maemo dead and buried and Meego to follow the same fate, we are left with WM7 on the face of it but Nokia will obviously make clear the road they will take from here very soon.
Qgil is a puppet and he got himself really dangled didnt he !.

Many people are damming this move as is clear to see on here but i tell you it is really exciting for me as a pessimist i truly believe in reality is the best move Nokia has ever made and will certainly in time (not too long i hope) bring them out of the shallows back to the limelight IF they go the direction i think they will.

Now i am so glad i stuck with my N900's as i have a feeling this is going to be very big indeed.

Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Reading the news about this on the internet it's amazing, almost entirely negative reaction. Even comments on CNN are almost all negative about it.

because it is negative..

The Following User Says Thank You to Raubtier For This Useful Post:
Posts: 191 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Croatia
cnn "2 turkeys dont make an eagle" XD

Originally Posted by klepto View Post
Someone here said recently that what Nokia should do is build a top-class set of tools and applications on top of Debian or some other established distro. I wish I could remember who said that so I could give them the kudos they deserve.
I think that was me, or what I was trying to articulate

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=69351

The Following User Says Thank You to Rav For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org