Active Topics

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by punto View Post
What SYSTEM? Sure, it has all of those things but ultimately it doesn't get beyond a nerd toy because of a) the lack of competent apps and b) the lack of sometimes really basic fit & finish in the OS.

Openness means nothing when it doesn't generate anything worthwhile but me-too's. Look at Ubuntu. If you tell me it's better than Windows 7 for everyday productivity and usability, I'm laughing in your face (more economical? Sure, a better argument).

Hell, Symbian has IMO better multitasking than iOS. Does that make it a better SYSTEM? To most people, I'd say not.

The Maemo devices have been fantastic nerd toys. But that's all they've ever been. Where does the N900 platform actually lead in terms of what you can do with it? Emulators? As for me, I loved the Skype integration - which did work really well in chats with the way the multitasking worked. But ultimately, that's about all I really loved - as a user it appeared to have lots of the disadvantages of Android with none of the advantages, along with zero polish.

I just popped back here to read the feedback on the deal. Pretty much as I expected. I for one am hoping WP7 gets extended further as it's a solid if relatively undeveloped at this time (but once again, as I mentioned, already more developed where it matters than Maemo) mobile OS.

I wouldn't go as far as to say I'll be buying a Nokia WP7, but if they come out with something genuinely better than Samsung et al - sure.
You're missing my point. Maemo is further ahead (not complete). If Nokia had not discontinued development for it and instead worked on that over this WP7 deal, they'd have far better chances. I said earlier on, if they'd continued with Maemo to get high-end phones out there, and worked on MeeGo simultaneously, they could have just phased Maemo out for MeeGo. Now Elop is still giving us a 2 year wait for a Nokia device (the single MeeGo one excluded), putting them further behind than if Maemo 5 or MeeGo had continued

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Baltimore, USA
WOOO HOOO over -16.36% share loss!!

The Following User Says Thank You to madmaze For This Useful Post:
I had hoped that Nokia would became a company selling hand-held devices with open source software. But now all hope is lost. Maybe it wont be so bad. Maybe Maemo will still exist in the future and Nokia will have devices that run Maemo and Windows without problems, like our PC that run Windows and Linux distros. Only time will tell.

Originally Posted by punto View Post
ultimately it doesn't get beyond a nerd toy...fit & finish in the OS...Openness means nothing when it doesn't generate anything worthwhile but me-too's...
Hey, the 90's called, they want their cynical, short-sighted view of open software back. If you don't understand how open software is important, then you have been living with your eyes closed. As far as everyday usability, perhaps you need to define exactly what usability is. I, for one, think that instant availability of a monstrous volume of free software is a huge usability bonus. Want to talk about an eco-system? Try perusing the Ubuntu or Debian apt repositories. It is also nice to have a file-system that actually makes sense and is completely accessible. Security is a pretty important aspect of usability, and no one can seriously argue that M$ has ever been able to deliver superior security to its users. It's also nice to have regular-rolling updates to your operating system along with easy access to news and feature updates. Of course there's the plethora of free "substitute software" for pretty much every single software product that Microsoft sells. There's also amazing FREE, OPEN virtualization solutions if you just really have to have a Non-free OS installed. Oh, and there's the whole universal deployability thing...

WP7 won't flourish, even with backing from a major manufacturer. There is already a tightly closed mobile OS in the market place, and the competition has an established and loyal user-base. Microsoft's attempt to get a serious slice of the mobile market is about as feeble as Apple trying to gain a significant share of the desktop market. The other guy already has what you have plus customers.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dusktreader For This Useful Post:
Isn't 112 emergency number in EU-area, also in Finland?
Today is 11.2.

Reminds me of 9/11.

Should Finland now attack Afganistan, Sweden or some other country?

Posts: 47 | Thanked: 30 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Scandinavia
ohmy. you guys are some dramaqueens. go put your middlefingers up in yer asses. this is not a "big thing" as it seems from your pity eyes. cheer up and wank with your n900. thats what i do. i love my nintendo900. Best phone in the world. period.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to videohese For This Useful Post:
Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Originally Posted by videohese View Post
ohmy. you guys are some dramaqueens. go put your middlefingers up in yer asses. this is not a "big thing" as it seems from your pity eyes. cheer up and wank with your n900. thats what i do. i love my nintendo900. Best phone in the world. period.
Haha, agreed! Some of those comments up there - I mean, really? 9/11??!! Come one, get real people!

I reckon the first release will be in the summer, what the N9 was going to be, which will basically be an E7 but with WP7 on it. Shame they actually just released the E7 with S^3. Seeing as it's got a "7" in the name, [I]that[I] is the phone that should have been the first WP7 phone!

I will be happy wanking with my N900 until some techie geeks with really hairy pubes cook up a quality MeeGo device, the N901.

Shame that will be in 2014

Originally Posted by ahjolinna View Post
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/7180/chosenone.jpg
Please post this pic to http://www.kuvaton.com/

BTW, does anyone think there is even a slight chance that Elop would get fired? You know, concidering the chrash in the market and the angry comments all over the media.

Nokia with windows phone 7, is dead meat. Nokia its going down

Posts: 908 | Thanked: 501 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ West Sussex, England
Originally Posted by videohese View Post
How's it not a big thing?
Nokia has killed it's biggest selling OS, so it won't sell very many this year - bye bye N8 and E7.
Nokia has already killed Maemo 5, so bye bye any chance of any high-end devices in the market at all.
Nokia has now killed MeeGo, the one thing that was seriously generating a lot of industry buzz, a lot of consumer hype, and had the capability to not just give us a new OS, but change how we use 'mobile' technology. That's the sort of thing that got Nokia to number one. It was precisely what it needed to retain that position.
Nokia has now joined Microsoft, a company that has repeatedly failed in the mobile phone market. A company that is renowned for mistakes, poor software, bad execution, bad security and so on. To top it off, WP7 isn't selling well at all, whatsoever, period. It is at the first stage of its infancy, without any of the basic features that we not only require, but that Nokia surpassed others with (like multitasking).

Worse still, Nokia aren't the exclusive manufacturers, so HTC etc can still make WP7 phones. They not only can, but are making them, so people will be developing brand loyalty already. Sure, Nokia's will have Ovi Maps and a few other things, but Elop said they won't change the design despite MS giving them permission, and that's the one thing Nokia should be jumping all over.

And to top it all off, not only has Nokia killed Symbian, Maemo and MeeGo, giving it no phones to release, Elop said we're looking at a year or two to actually see any Nokia WP7 phones. So what's that mean? Nokia with Symbian were selling countless handsets and, while losing marketshare, maintained their no. 1 position as handset manufacturer. But Nokia without any OS to sell means they will have nothing on the market. Or at least, nothing anyone will buy because hey, who wants a dead OS? So they're going to lose even more marketshare and much more rapidly than they are right now.

Then when they do get phones to market, who wants them? Look at this forum, the Nokia forum, the comments all over the internet, the share prices - everyone but Elop knows this is a bad idea. It's doomed to fail. If he could get phones to market next month, yeah, maybe it'd work. But in 2 years? Why would it? WP7 may have already failed by then, and if it succeeds, people will be happy with their HTC, Samsung WP7 phones. Nokia will have lost 12-24 months of marketshare and earnings, and how will they get that back? By offering the same system as the companies that stole it, but with Ovi maps? I doubt it. Elop should have demanded Nokia exclusivity to this, but MS wouldn't allow that because then it'd be 2 years before they saw any money on their OS. MS don't give a **** about Nokia, or who makes the phones for WP7, they don't need to.

MeeGo was set to arrive this year, and whether it arrived tomorrow or December 31st didn't matter, because it would arrive as a complete ecosystem, for high-end phones, in-car entertainment, set-top boxes and tablets. It would have finally allowed Nokia to say "Hey world, we're back, and look what we got with us!" and it would have given them a very, very strong position. People would have gone 'hey, look, that's a great UI, an open OS, and it can be used on my tv?! see ya Android, later iPhone.' Elop stressed the importance of an ecosystem, then ditched the one they're working on to join a system that doesn't have an ecosystem, has no plans to develop an ecosystem, and will take 2 years just to get phones out there.

This isn't bad?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to richwhite For This Useful Post:

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org