Active Topics

Poll: Poll: Would you buy a phone running WP7?
Poll Options
Poll: Would you buy a phone running WP7?

When my n900 will die, I hope I will find an upgraded equivalent (n9?).
I'll definitely not buy WP7. Android isn't bad, but debian is way better, and I'm not ready to let Google datamine my phone.

I would buy a WP7 device with the camera module of the N8. Assuming there is no WebOS/Android alternative out there.

But I have never used it extensively..

I would NEVER buy anything from MS. Actually, after such Nokia f**kup I have each and every reason to hate MS more than ever. What a bunch of tricky bastards. Why the hell Nokia allowed to get itself tricked? I bet Nokia will disappear from scene soon, at least as decent and competitive mobile phones vendor I knew and loved. I have a very little idea why the hell I would need third rate, proprietary, restricted OS which lacks any software and which has already failed for Samsung, HTC and LG all together. Why the hell I should see how Nokia will fail as well? Are they so dumb that they want to completely destroy their company? Ouch. I would miss you, Nokia! Farewell and rest in peace. You were a great company once but everything that haves begin would have also it's end, unfortunately. So, this seems to be Nokia's end at the moment. It's sad.

The Following User Says Thank You to PowerUser For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
These is why Nokia Win7 is not going to get my money!

[edit] Features removed from Windows Mobile

Windows Phone 7 lacks some features that were found in earlier versions of Windows Mobile. Among the features that have been confirmed to arrive in the near-future include cut, copy, and paste,[65] full multitasking for 3rd party apps,[66] and Adobe Flash.[67] Windows Phone 7 supports upgradable storage via an SD Card; however SD card memory is merged with the phone's internal storage, and changing the SD card causes the phone to reset to factory settings.[68][69] Windows Phone 7 does not support connecting to Wi-Fi (wireless) access points which are hidden[70] or have a static IP address,[71] tethering to a computer[72] (although it can be done via a hack on the Samsung Focus[73]), videocalling,[74] VoIP calling,[75] USB mass-storage,[76] universal email inbox,[76] universal search,[76] a system-wide file manager,[74] Bluetooth file transfers,[74] USSD messages,[77] or custom ringtones.[78]

Windows Phone 7 devices only support syncing with Exchange ActiveSync[79] over the network. There is no support for syncing with Exchange ActiveSync using a cable or cradle.

In the enterprise, Windows Phone 7 does not support Office documents with security permissions,[80] IPsec security,[81] on-device encryption,[82] strong passwords,[71] or internet sockets.[75] While the older Windows Mobile phones supported the full range of Microsoft Exchange Server policies, Windows Phone 7 only supports a small subset of Exchange features.[83] The Calendar app no longer has a 'Weekly' view.[71] The list of past phone calls is now a single list, and cannot be separated into inbound, outbound or missed calls.[71]

The Following User Says Thank You to maxximuscool For This Useful Post:
Too bad I'm not any more interested in Android than I am in WP7. So I just finished ordering an E7 (hopefully there's still enough life in Nokia to deliver it?). With that and my trusty N900 I should be fine for a while..

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Minimum Windows Phone 7 device requirements
Capacitive, 4-point multi-touch screen with WVGA (800x480) resolution
1 GHz ARM v7 "Cortex/Scorpion" or better processor
DirectX9 rendering-capable GPU
256 MB of RAM with at least 8 GB of Flash memory
Accelerometer with compass, ambient light sensor, proximity sensor and Assisted GPS
5-megapixel camera with an LED flash
FM radio tuner
6 dedicated hardware buttons - back, Start, search, camera, power/sleep and Volume Up and Down.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
These is why Nokia Win7 is not going to get my money!

[edit] Features removed from Windows Mobile

Windows Phone 7 lacks some features that were found in earlier versions of Windows Mobile. Among the features that have been confirmed to arrive in the near-future include cut, copy, and paste,[65] full multitasking for 3rd party apps,[66] and Adobe Flash.[67] Windows Phone 7 supports upgradable storage via an SD Card; however SD card memory is merged with the phone's internal storage, and changing the SD card causes the phone to reset to factory settings.[68][69] Windows Phone 7 does not support connecting to Wi-Fi (wireless) access points which are hidden[70] or have a static IP address,[71] tethering to a computer[72] (although it can be done via a hack on the Samsung Focus[73]), videocalling,[74] VoIP calling,[75] USB mass-storage,[76] universal email inbox,[76] universal search,[76] a system-wide file manager,[74] Bluetooth file transfers,[74] USSD messages,[77] or custom ringtones.[78]

Windows Phone 7 devices only support syncing with Exchange ActiveSync[79] over the network. There is no support for syncing with Exchange ActiveSync using a cable or cradle.

In the enterprise, Windows Phone 7 does not support Office documents with security permissions,[80] IPsec security,[81] on-device encryption,[82] strong passwords,[71] or internet sockets.[75] While the older Windows Mobile phones supported the full range of Microsoft Exchange Server policies, Windows Phone 7 only supports a small subset of Exchange features.[83] The Calendar app no longer has a 'Weekly' view.[71] The list of past phone calls is now a single list, and cannot be separated into inbound, outbound or missed calls.[71]
The Windows Phone 7 system is very young and by the time Nokia has implemented it and started selling it, it will most likely have some of those features ready.

Posts: 568 | Thanked: 969 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto
Originally Posted by eikido View Post
The Windows Phone 7 system is very young and by the time Nokia has implemented it and started selling it, it will most likely have some of those features ready.
So how is it any different from MeeGo?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shallimus For This Useful Post:
it will most likely have some of those features ready.
The "only" problem is that other competitors already have them and by looking on system requirements I can imagine WP7 devices to be expensive as a hell, which warrants quite limited sales. And since it lacks "iconic experience" of iPhone and cooperation of Android, it's doubtful this can succeed. At least, HTC, Samsung and LG have failed so far. Nokia hadn't performed great recently as well, so it's strange to expect epic win. F00k you, Elop. F00k you, Nokia. It looks like I would not buy your devices anymore. There was already a bunch of useless WP7 stuff. Why the hell I would need to see several more units of this crap?

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London
Just got sent this link. I'm not interested but I have to admit they're pretty good looking ...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/11/e...cept-revealed/