Originally Posted by sak500 View Post
Glad i jumped to iOS sept last by buying iphone4. No regrets as i still use my n900 as a music player in the toilet. Hope to sell it when i buy iP5 later this year.

Have been discouraging any person slightly interested in Nokia and N8. To hit the nail further i show them many apps which i have and they are in totoal awe of this phone.
Fart and burp apps??

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
It is NOT a programming language. It's an application framework + gui.
It's dead now. Feel free to continue down that semantic laden path as you may, it's dead now basically.

Posts: 431 | Thanked: 239 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ London
Features removed from Windows Mobile

Windows Phone 7 lacks some features that were found in earlier versions of Windows Mobile. Among the features that have been confirmed to arrive in the near-future include cut, copy, and paste,[65] full multitasking for 3rd party apps,[66] and Adobe Flash.[67] Windows Phone 7 supports upgradable storage via an SD Card; however SD card memory is merged with the phone's internal storage, and changing the SD card causes the phone to reset to factory settings.[68][69] Windows Phone 7 does not support connecting to Wi-Fi (wireless) access points which are hidden[70] or have a static IP address,[71] tethering to a computer[72] (although it can be done via a hack on the Samsung Focus[73]), videocalling,[74] VoIP calling,[75] USB mass-storage,[76] universal email inbox,[76] universal search,[76] a system-wide file manager,[74] Bluetooth file transfers,[74] USSD messages,[77] or custom ringtones.[78]

Windows Phone 7 devices only support syncing with Exchange ActiveSync[79] over the network. There is no support for syncing with Exchange ActiveSync using a cable or cradle.

In the enterprise, Windows Phone 7 does not support Office documents with security permissions,[80] IPsec security,[81] on-device encryption,[82] strong passwords,[71] or internet sockets.[75] While the older Windows Mobile phones supported the full range of Microsoft Exchange Server policies, Windows Phone 7 only supports a small subset of Exchange features.[83] The Calendar app no longer has a 'Weekly' view.[71] The list of past phone calls is now a single list, and cannot be separated into inbound, outbound or missed calls.[71]

So. WTF is this OS about really?

So. WTF is this OS about really?
Its only purpose is to ruin nokia.

Sticking with symbian until meego is ready was the only reasonable option.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by ivlok View Post
Maybe Elop tenure won't be that long
Let's hope. But the damage is done.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by nephridium View Post

Yet, I still have hope; if Nokia is able to remain the dominant partner in this "partnership" (as they should be, since the mobile phone market is yet still their market) they might be wise enough to...
That's all wishful thinking. Nokia acted from a position of weakness. Nokia did not even get a WP7 licensing deal worth describing to the analysts. As far as "wise," that's not a word that belongs in the same sentence as Nokia anymore.

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
Posts: 282 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Austin, TX, USA
I'm done. I bought a Google Nexus S at Best Buy. Popped the SIM out of the N900 and into the Nexus and now I am on the Android train. I have been assimilated.

I will miss lots of stuff about my N900 (which I can always pull out of the drawer and start using again if I feel like it), but I am no longer waiting around for the little problems with email, mapping, phone operations, etc. to be fixed in a cool new Meego device. I am sad that I am going from a computing platform to an app platform, but since Nokia gave up on it I will too. Maemo and Meego represented an enormous step forward in the potential of phones as highly integrated anyd fully controlled devices; even if Nokia squeezes out a Meego phone it will be little more than an ugly and ignored stepchild.

I will especially miss this community, which I have enjoyed lurking in and occasionally commenting in. I wish you all well.

On a positive note, I think Qt will live on just fine. It is very integral to KDE, and has been adopted by Ubuntu, and it is still the best option for writing a cross-platform application on desktops. But for phones I think it is a goner. Maybe that's not such a positive note...

The Following User Says Thank You to rmerren For This Useful Post:
Posts: 220 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
I don't know jack about stocks or shares, but is this saying their shares have dropped 13.97% in value since the announcement?

http://www.google.com/finance?chdnp=...E:NOK&&fct=big

Elop and Ballmer...are they Finnish?

WP7 is crap and it hasn't any marketshare today, In my opinion Symbian^3 is a way better OS, so what's the point of going to WP7? I will stick to Symbian even knowing that is dead, My next phone will be a N8 although sooner or later I will switch to Android, WP7 today for me is the worst OS in the market. WP7 is going to kill the Nseries... N95 forever!

The Following User Says Thank You to dan_bremen For This Useful Post:

Tags
elop ur a pain, meego sucks