Active Topics

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
What are the options? WebOS, Android or iOS?

I personally am getting tempted towards WebOS but will surely wait before I take the plunge. Anyways, I would be upgrading my phone only next year.

I wish the loss to Nokia would somehow be a gain to HP/WebOS or Intel/MeeGo. Intel still says they are committed to MeeGo.

Ari (Ari Jaaksi, former Maemo head) is now working at HP. Just wishing (again) that HP buys Qt from the cowards and uses it across their products. Or may be a community project to make Qt compliant with WebOS fully.

The more I think about it, the more WebOS seems like an option! As it stands, it'd be WebOS followed by Android followed by iOS if I were desperate! However by the time I need to replace my N900, hopefully there will be a Meego option.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rich c For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 974 | Thanked: 622 times | Joined on Oct 2010
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
What are the options? WebOS, Android or iOS?

I personally am getting tempted towards WebOS but will surely wait before I take the plunge. Anyways, I would be upgrading my phone only next year.

I wish the loss to Nokia would somehow be a gain to HP/WebOS or Intel/MeeGo. Intel still says they are committed to MeeGo.

Ari (Ari Jaaksi, former Maemo head) is now working at HP. Just wishing (again) that HP buys Qt from the cowards and uses it across their products. Or may be a community project to make Qt compliant with WebOS fully.
MeeGo is dead as a phone OS, Nokia and MS stabbed it. WebOS is more closed than Android, and I don't think they even have GSM phones.

Originally Posted by ericsson View Post
MeeGo is dead as a phone OS, Nokia and MS stabbed it. WebOS is more closed than Android, and I don't think they even have GSM phones.
I thought they have GSM phones (atleast now after the recent announcements)?

Posts: 57 | Thanked: 26 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Melbourne, Australia
Android for me - I live in Australia though where WebOS is practically non existent.

Just small things like my bank releasing an app in the android marketplace to make online banking quicker is something not to be taken for granted. gah... I sound like a iphone user but its kinda true that things like that make the experience overall better, especially if its not coupled with a completely locked down operating system

WebOS has next to no local support and from my perspective (may be quite different in America) not all that much global support, so I don't really feel like jumping from a sinking ship into a sinking lifeboat..

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lwa For This Useful Post:
WebOS is even almost non-existant in the place where I live but the hope is that since it is with HP now, it is probably a given that it would grow global much quicker.

You are right on the support part. That's why I would wait for some time before I decide to go one way or the other.

Heck, the more I think about yesterdays back-stabbing, even a jailbroken iPhone seems ok suddenly!

Posts: 145 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Sydney
These new WebOS phones from HP look promising, and they are GSM.

http://www.gsmarena.com/hp_pre_3-3770.php
1.4 GHz Scorpion processor, Adreno 205 GPU, Qualcomm MSM8655 chipset

http://www.gsmarena.com/hp_veer-3771.php
800 MHz Scorpion processor, Adreno 205 GPU, Qualcomm MSM 7230 chipset

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maruzko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I have been looking at the Veer, I think it's called, but I want to call attention to a rarely mentioned alternative.

That is not to buy a super-sophisicated smartphone at all. Many people here in the US are paying more than $60 a month to use the things. But really, what wonderful things have they learned while browsing the Internet from a cafe? Not much, I think. That's what, $720 a year? Netflix costs $10 a month and you can watch movies all day every day with it.

So I think that buying a minimal plan and a minimal phone should be considered. Get your kicks and status elsewhere. Don't let the hype sweep you away.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Well android, webOS is only a option if they market to the correct demograph and price their goods CHEAPER then the competition. Send me a check HP I just outlined your strategy that'll bring success. Btw, don't fight against the slate style phones a large amount of people would be attracted to one. P.M. me for paypal link

R.I.P. Maemo 5
11/16/2009 - 06/04/2010

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
The biggest question i have is - If i buy the meego phone released in 2011, will my money be used for the development of meego or will it be used for making crappy wp7?
I know there is no future for meego just like maemo, but at this point it is the only open source phone. I still believe there is nothing in comparision to the n900 in the current market.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post: