Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Hintry, how were you able to make it through the Ahonen piece? He rambles worse than I do. He was also dead wrong earlier, and his new piece completely lost me at this....

"Now the really silly part is to bleed all that profit in those three OS platforms. I will not be the first to say this, nor the last, but Nokia needs to kill off its OS platforms more quickly than that. Its now a journey into futility. Nobody believes in Nokia OS platforms anymore, they are the walking dead. Why develop them? Why maintain them? They now are only a drain. And those colleagues at Symbian and MeeGo units - shift away as soon as you can....
Which brings me to Microsoft again. Can you see the parallels? This is like Microsoft who owned DOS (that was overwhelmingly bigger than the Mac OS), and was about to switch to Windows (which would be equally much bigger than Mac OS years later) - and six months before Windows was to launch - and 90% of its development was complete - suddenly abandon it, and go with Macitosh OS instead.. I said on this blog a few days ago, that a change away from MeeGo and Symbian would be a decision by a psycopath, and I said it in jest because I could not see it happening. I am certain this move by Nokia will be seen as one of the classic biggest blunders in technology history...."

Huh? Which is it? Kill them off or don't kill them off??? He, like so many posters here, also refuses to acknowledge the reality that MeeGo is in no shape to step in (per his flawed analogy regarding MS "about to switch to Windows").

My favorite commentary was Microsoft and Nokia announce my dream partnership so why aren't you all happy? because while everything else published everywhere else and posted here has been either gloom and doom or ultra-heavy speculative analysis. this calmly listed all the strengths and advantages of Nokia phone hardware and explained all the strengths and advantages of WP7 software (which I wasn't familiar with before).

Your second link was awesome however, and explained all the crazed reactions to this. It also seems like a moving story to me... two rivals, fighting each other, both sides suffering, then realizing that time has passed them by and their glory days were allegedly behind them, now seeing a darker, evil, common enemy on the horizon, and deciding to team up together and battle one last time as allies against two juggernauts. It makes me misty-eyed. It's like a battered Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader teaming up to destroy Emperor Palpatine! Meanwhile in my mind it sounds like everyone else here is saying that if they waited a bit longer the Ewoks would have come and saved them. Maybe I've just read too many posts here today....

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Originally Posted by strange1712 View Post
I just can't find out what are those guys happy about what has just happened doing here in the Maemo forum.
I can! You see, if Nokia kept trying to make MeeGo there was never going to be MeeGo because before long there wouldn't be a Nokia. Now that there's no more MeeGo there's still a Nokia which means when there's really a market for MeeGo there may yet still be a MeeGo. Easy to follow?

It's like loving a book trilogy and hearing they're going to make movies out of it. The director hired for the first film is terrible and the leaked copy of the initial screenplay is even worse. In that case you hope the movie doesn't get made. If it gets made in its current state it will fail and the 2nd and 3rd movies will never get made. If the first movie doesn't get made, there's a chance someone else will eventually buy the rights and they'll make better writing and directing choices and all three movies will get made. MeeGo is the hastily written and not really finished screenplay that needs about seven more re-writes.

We had to destroy MeeGo in order to save it. A half-baked MeeGo phone will be the sure death of MeeGo. MeeGo being released when its done can only be good for MeeGo. Waiting around doing nothing while MeeGo is finished would be the death of Nokia and MeeGo, so they needed WP7.

That paragraph needs to be put in small print in the banner for this website.

Originally Posted by alcalde View Post
Hintry, how were you able to make it through the Ahonen piece? He rambles worse than I do. He was also dead wrong earlier, and his new piece completely lost me at this....
I usually never read Tomi Ahonen, as I find him biased, long-winded and extremely annoying (he frequently adds "haha" to sentences). But in this case it's fascintating to observe how a die-hard Nokia evangelist has been impacted by the news.

In Tomi's defence I was touched by this post where he offers condolences and job-hunting advice to his former Nokia's colleagues.

http://communities-dominate.blogs.co...of-advice.html

To Nokia colleagues being laid off or fearing for job survival - here a little bit of advice

I have just heard that Elop's 'strategy' includes layoffs. I am VERY sorry for you. But please do not despair. You have stong competence in mobile, a very difficult complex industry. You have experience in the biggest company of that industry. Mobile is a Trillion dollar industry (1,000 Billion, or one million million) - you WILL find a new job. Do NOT despair. Just take a deep breath, and calm down, and focus.

The first thing you have to do, is update your CV now, and contact every single contact you ever had, and start the search for your next job. Do not despair. You will find a better job, and it will not take that long. The mobile industry is in hypergrowth, so there are plenty of jobs, including very advanced jobs. It is not as bad, as the recent economic recession was. If ever there was a time to lose a Nokia job, this is about the best time for it to happen haha, you have no idea how much the rest of the world values your talents. Do not despair.
It shows everyone's human I guess.

Last edited by Hintry; 2011-02-12 at 07:08.

The Following User Says Thank You to Hintry For This Useful Post:
Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by kojacker View Post
Just been posted on engadget: "Exclusive: Nokia's Windows Phone 7 concept revealed!"

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to zwer For This Useful Post:
Kallasvuo and Nokia:
Strategy: incomprehensible
Innovation: lacking and dragging

Elop and Nokia:
Strategy: n/a
Innovation: n/a

In a way they solved the problems everyone was *****ing about, congrats.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RFS-81 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Crashdamage View Post
Maybe it's just me, but WP7 has to be the ugliest smartphone UI in existence. It insults my intelligence.
it's not a smartphone UI because it's not a smartphone.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Resistance is futile...

The Following User Says Thank You to 9000 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,259 | Thanked: 1,341 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
But there is a Stamp on the Box. You can read there that this is a smartphone.

...okay, this kind of humor doesn't help...

The Following User Says Thank You to Helmuth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 193 | Thanked: 201 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Subotica, Serbia

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mmlado For This Useful Post:
Haha, there's a shot that will be remembered (maybe not so fondly though).

Tags
bye-nokia, i don't even, just shoot him, just shoot me, let's elope, lockdown, meego?fail, negatron dan, nokia defiled, nokia suicide, sell tulips, step 8 out of 5, the-end?, www.elop.org